ST 1100 Rear Wheel Bearing Surprise

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
I wore my rear tire down to the steel belts in Southern Morocco, and ordered a replacement tire from Moto Plus in Casablanca. It arrived today by bus.

I removed the rear wheel from the motorcycle, and was horrified to discover that the rear wheel bearing on the brake disk side of the rear wheel had completely disintegrated. I guess that explained the occasional grinding noise I have been hearing for the past 1,000 miles of riding.

As far as I know, this bearing is the original one, but it was in fine condition (based on visual inspection and feel) when I last changed the rear tire 5,000 miles ago. The bike is a 2001 ABS model, with 130,000 miles (200,000 km) on it. I was very surprised to see how badly the bearing had deteriorated in such a short time.

This is where the story starts to get funny. I'm in the small town of Ouarzazate, population about 70,000, on the edge of the Sahara desert. When I saw the disintegrated wheel bearing, my first thought was that it would be weeks before I could get out of here, I'll have to get a bearing couriered in from Europe. I walked down the road to a moped dealer, rolling my wheel with me, and showed the staff the bearing ('roulement', in French). The mechanics there pulled out a vernier caliper and started to measure it... I was kind of surprised to see that they had a precision measurement tool. After some internet research, we discovered that the specification for the bearing was 6204UU - whatever that means.

The lead mechanic motioned for me to hop on the back of his moped, and we began a tour of all the small shops and souks in the town. After about 3 stops, we found a shop that specialized in wheel bearings. The guy running the shop came out of the back with three bearings, and recommended that I buy the 6204EE bearing, because EE means it is sealed on both sides, which he told me is also what UU means. The bearing was made by SNR, a respected French manufacturer - total cost, USD $4. Apparently this same bearing is used in some European cars.

Got the bearing installed, got my new tire mounted (cost USD $6 for the dismount of the old tire & mounting of the new one), was feeling quite lucky... so, I decided to change the oil.

I got back on the rear seat of his moped, and off we went to find a ST 1100 oil filter. After 2 stops, we found a shop specializing in oil and oil filters. Working only from the thread specification and physical dimensions of my old filter, the guy at the oil filter shop found an exact replacement - a 'Mando' (Korean) brand filter that is also used on some small Hyundi and Kia vehicles that are imported into Morocco. Cost of the filter: USD $7. He also had Motul brand 10W40 oil, non-energy conserving, but that was a bit more expensive at USD $30 for a 5 litre jug.

Got all the work done over a 4 hour period. The mechanic from the moped shop charged me USD $7 for 4 hours of his time, his moped mileage, and disposal of the old oil.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. I'm starting to like small towns in Morocco. :)

Michael

What was left of my rear wheel bearing
Bearing 1.jpg

You are having quite the adventure, and adapting well to issues!! Kudos, and thanks for your short stories!

Looks like the tire changed worked out just right for you. +90% of bearings are metric and standardized throughout the world. I learned about that years ago in a technical article written by Gordon Jennings in Cycle World magazine. Same for grease seals.

BTW, IMHO the only way to really inspect the wheel bearings is to remove the axle seal and then pop off the bearing side seal and visually inspect the bearing. It will come off easily and undamaged with a small screwdriver and some finesse. I had a wheel bearing that felt OK when rotated with my finger, but after I popped off the seal, it was obvious water had gotten past the axle seal and it was on the way out because it was rusty. I replace the axle seals now when I replace a tire, after inspecting the bearing.

Last edited:
You are lucky indeed. Mine went at 64K. Found it also when I changed out tire. I also lucked out because my favorite independent shop is a 100 miles away. And I said to myself Oh boy if they don't have that bearing I am going to have to leave it and call the wife to come get me. They did not have an ST1100 rear wheel bearing but had a rear Goldwing 1500 bearing put it in and it worked.

your experience is similar to mine in that no matter how impossible it seems that you'll find parts while stranded out on the road, there seems to be a motorcycling guardian angel that finds a way to bring you and the parts together.

Amen, brother ! When my auto style fuel pump went out on an Iron Butt ride, It had only 17K miles on it. I found a spare in my top case. The engine stopped just before an exit on I-75. I was able to roll all the way to the end of the exit lane, and then roll across to the side of the road. Then a cager stopped and helped me install the new pump - nice guy. Took about 30 minutes. These ST1100's are sometimes easy to work on.

I still carry a spare pump, but I replace the pump now every 15K miles, so I'll probably never use the spare again. I get them cheap at Rock Auto.

I wrote in another thread that carrrying a tool roll is more for peace of mind and we often hear about people with major mechanical problems in out of the way places who find help unexpectedly. Who would have expected to find a small shop specializing in wheel bearings? in oil filters? And these guys had the expertise to quickly find the parts you needed.

It would almost be worth riding there to get our bikes serviced - those prices were surprisingly low.

I crashed a CB900 on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere Idaho in 1983 and cracked one of the engine cases and busted up the ignition timing plate on the crank end. Also tweaked the forks and pulled the front axle out of the threaded fork lower. Limped into a town of 900 people and started calling for parts. Long story short, a guy in town had a CB900 engine already disassembled, brought me the case and ignition timing parts I needed, installed them at the Chevron station, while another guy made me a longer replacement axle on his lathe.

Amen, brother ! When my auto style fuel pump went out on an Iron Butt ride, It had only 17K miles on it.
ST 1100s have fuel pumps? I did not know that. I think I had better stop at the next small town and get one... the one on my moto is original.

You indicated that this pump is also used on cars. Can you give me an example, or an automotive part number? That would really help me when I go to the souk to search for one.

———

To John Heath:

Thanks for that advice about the opposite side bearing - very good point. I will go looking for one tomorrow. It is quite easy to re and re the rear wheel - no muffler removal like the 1300.

Michael

I suspect that the people that live in that area are pretty resilient, probably on the low end of the income scale and used to finding solutions to keep mechanicals things running. You could not have received better service and turnaround time anywhere.

Yup, it's a standard bearing w/ rubber seals on both sides. 3204-2RS or 5204.2RS both about $15 at bearingsdirect.com. Be careful , tho. They are also available with metal shields and NOT the rubber seals.

Another supplier ( 3bgsupply.com ) has a Nachi 5204-ZZ ( same dimensions with rubber seals ) for $25

Last edited:
CBR bearing sets 1 800 769 5388 …. ST-110O Pro Pack kit Japan sourced

Rear $44 Front $39 Tapered steering head $59

What kind of silly prices are those? The bearing I bought earlier this week only cost $4 (see post #1, above). :)
Yes, pretty amazing difference isn't it.
Speaking of amazing, I think it's rather amazing that you have been able to post so much on this amazing Africa trip of yours and with all the amazing help you have found.

Last edited:
Bearing Direct describes both the 3204 & 5204 as "double row ball bearings" but adds "precision" for the 5204. But the 3204 is $2 MORE. Does that make sense ? And the 3204 is " no longer in stock". So it looks like the 5204 supercedes it.

As far as cost, these are the costs for us USA customers. Our standard of living is higher, so we pay more for everything ( added profit ).

I read a book by Dr. Gregory Frazier, a guy who has ridden all over the world, and he said he bought a throttle cable in Malaysia for 15 cents. But where would you like to live and work ? Here or Malaysia ( for Malaysian wages ) ?

Last edited:
When I had my 1990, I got caught off guard twice with worn rear bearings. My mechanic thought it was due to excessive power washing.....I never power washed the bike, I had however ridden through many violent rain storms that summer. Here in Stratford acquiring new bearings takes a few days, as my dealer doesn’t stock them. (Never mind that FAG bearings has a major factory in our town that makes the bearings). I now travel with a spare set both front and rear for my 97. The rear set came in handy a couple of summers ago when I was in PEI having my tires changed and it was noticed that a bearing was getting bad. The bearing was replaced on the spot and I didn’t have to wait a few days for parts. ;)

Back
Top Bottom