Helmets Scorpion EXO 900 - broken

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
OK, this is not a rant against this helmet. I'm sharing this for general knowledge as I really do like this helmet.

If you don't know this is a modular helmet. Pull the little tab at the bottom of the chin bar and you can raise it up. Well, that is unless the tab breaks.

Yesterday I did about 300 miles with a buddy up into the NC mountains and back down into SC. About 45 miles from home we stopped for gas. I went to raise my chin bar and pulled the little tab down, but the chin bar did not unlock. Hmm! Strange! I tried and tried, then got my buddy to look at it, still on my head, to see if he could see any way to unlock it. No luck. This is when for some odd reason I got a bought of claustrophobia and tried to pull the helmet off. NOT going to happen! Claustrophobia just got worse and I told my buddy to get it off no matter what! Now he rides a Harley, so you know he must be a bad @$$! He grabbed the straps and pulled outward, trying to spread the helmet apart, as hard as he could. I went to pushing for all I'm worth. The claustrophobia is now getting pretty bad and I'm yelling at him to get it off. He starts jerking, and it finally came off! OOOOWW, did that hurt my ears!

Now, I don't know if this is all because of the shape of my head, or if it is because I have Dumbo ears, but let me tell you. If you go down with this helmet on, it is going to stay on your head, no chin strap required! I ended up riding home with no helmet, boy did I feel exposed. I have never ridden on the street without.

When I got home, I started disassembly and here is what I found. As you may know, once you have the chin bar up, it is easily removed on this particular helmet, so I will start with the chin bar already removed.

Here it is still assembled:

attachment.php

I have removed the plastic cover on the inside and exposed the compressed styrofoam (?):

attachment.php

Here is with the styrofoam removed and the latch mechanism is now exposed:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm pulling down on the release mechanism and you see that one side of the red slide has moved with it, but the other side did not.

attachment.php

I removed the three screws and here is what I found: (you'll have to use your imagination as I did not put the parts back in relation with each other for the picture)

attachment.php

Summary: It actually uses metal clasps for the locks, but the pull tab to release these clasps is plastic. It has felt flimsy from the first day I bought it, but has never given me trouble till now. If you look in the pictures you can see two cables radiating out to either side. The plastic tab pulls these cables to flip the metal latches to release them. If I can get Scorpion to send me a replacement for this broken part, I will continue to use this helmet, as I really do like everything else about it. I am even more confident that it will protect me in a get off than I was before.

Appreciate the post and pictures. Someone had some problems with an EXO 900 a few years ago, and I think Scorpion worked with them to resolve the problem. I retired my EXO 900 last year, partly because it was getting old, and mainly because I got a good deal on a Shoei Neotec. If the Neotec opportunity hadn't come up, I wouldn't have had a second thought about getting another EXO 900. I'd ridden off more than once with the helmet comfortably snug on my head, and only realized I hadn't strapped it on until the straps whipping around in the wind caught my attention.

Keep us posted on how Scorpion handles the issue. They replaced a part on my EXO400 years ago a loooong way from home, just had to walk into a dealership and make a phone call.

I'm hoping they will just send me the part. I have no doubt they would make good if I send the whole thing to them, but would be worth a few bucks to me to just do it myself without the hassle of shipping and all. (besides, I have a big trip planned in a couple weeks and really want to use this helmet) I'll be calling them tomorrow and update this thread.

I had a similar problem with my HJC. It fell off the bike seat with the chin bar open and jammed the latch. Unknown to me of the damage, I put the helmet back on and continued the ride. When I tried to unlatch the chin bar at the next stop, only one side would unlatch. I was able to get the helmet off with some help and lots of laughing and obscene jokes from my "friends." I took the chin bar apart and it had a similar mechanism to yours but made of metal and one end of the latching mechanism had come disconnected. I put it back together and it worked fine since then. I also had a few moments of panic til I got the helmet off as you did.

I had a similar problem with my HJC. It fell off the bike seat with the chin bar open and jammed the latch. Unknown to me of the damage, I put the helmet back on and continued the ride. When I tried to unlatch the chin bar at the next stop, only one side would unlatch. I was able to get the helmet off with some help and lots of laughing and obscene jokes from my "friends." I took the chin bar apart and it had a similar mechanism to yours but made of metal and one end of the latching mechanism had come disconnected. I put it back together and it worked fine since then. I also had a few moments of panic til I got the helmet off as you did.

I have an HJC as well that I really like. The main thing I like better about the Scorpion is that it is much less prone to fogging. I can get the HJC off my head with the chin bar down way easier than the Scorpion though! May have to do with head shape, I don't know.

I had the same thing happen with an EXO 900 a couple of years ago; also had a problem with one the plastic cams that the chin bar rotates on. Scorpion send me a new chin bar and the dealer replaced the cam.

Interesting that this post came up. I just recently started using the EXO 900 again because my Shoei started rubbing on my forehead.

The EXO-900 has a 3 year warranty..... on my first one the red latch tab broke (since redesigned), and they sent me a whole new chin bar..... just give them a call.

If I can get Scorpion to send me a replacement for this broken part

Keep us posted on the updates regarding Scorpion's reply. I have the same helmet as a backup to my Neotec. If they do replace it, I'd be curious to see if it is an updated/improved mechanism or the same one.

The EXO-900 has a 3 year warranty..... on my first one the red latch tab broke (since redesigned), and they sent me a whole new chin bar..... just give them a call.

Thanks RaYzerman, nice to know. I'll let y'all know when I talk to them later today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Called and got a real person on the phone in 3 rings. Replacement will be in the mail today free. He was very apologetic for the trouble.

I'm very satisfied!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome! I have the 900 and I really like it, except for the Hi-Viz color fading really bad. I'll keep using it until its ugly then get another EXO900 as a replacement. After a year of use I like it. I initially had a tight feeling at my forehead but once broken in, its very comfortable. I've never needed to play with the air pressure because it fits well without touching it. I do need to adjust the foam so my speakers fit better, they stick out a hair and on a long ride irritate my ears. That has nothing to do with Scorpion though.

Well, I called them Monday. I recieved the new part on Thursday! They sent the whole assembly (pull tab, cables and latch mechanism). 7 little screws and I'm back to like new! Scorpion customer support is awesome! :headbang:

That's very good customer service. I really like my 900, my next 900 will be white!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Whatcha got now? The EXO vents more air than Nolan 102, HJC Symax II, and if you want more, by all reports the Shoei Neotec is quite a bit better than the EXO....... on the EXO, I leave the chin vent open, rear vent is mostly open all the time except in the cold stuff, and since I crack the shield open, it deflects air away from the top vent. If you close the shield, you get some half decent air flow thru the top vent (and a touch more noise as with most helmets). Airflow also depends a lot on windshield and position.

The EXO is the first helmet in about 6 that has vents that actually make a real difference. Pop all three open and you immediately feel cool air on your scalp. Also on the face. Good to know that the manufacturer takes care of it's customers.

Thanks guys, Hitting the bike shops this weekend with the piggy bank in tow.
Just to try on Helmets...
Mike

One slight thing worth considering when you try one on... Check how close your chin is to the chin bar. It is much closer on my shape head than the HJC is. Still comfortable for me, but I could see it as a problem on some heads.

2013-05-26_17-13-05_825_zps26194b6d.jpg

Look familiar? This happened today when I stopped at the hardware store. Sure glad it didn't happen yesterday, when I had a 3+ hour ride in very cold rain! I had to ride about a mile helmetless...and I hated it.

Can you PM me the number you used to contact customer service? Hopefully I'll have a replacement before next weekend with the holiday this week. I was hoping to do my BBG next weekend.

PM sent. That looks very familiar. :eek:

2013-05-26_17-13-05_825_zps26194b6d.jpg

Look familiar? This happened today when I stopped at the hardware store. Sure glad it didn't happen yesterday, when I had a 3+ hour ride in very cold rain! I had to ride about a mile helmetless...and I hated it.

Can you PM me the number you used to contact customer service? Hopefully I'll have a replacement before next weekend with the holiday this week. I was hoping to do my BBG next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom