RIDER MAGAZINE

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
Good Morning everyone
Just a quick question. I have been a subscriber of Rider Magazine since it began in 1974
I have even be lucky enough to have been featured in it in 1982, and have been a loyal reader
all these years. But now that it is back in print and a NEW EDITOR and staff along with the
retirement of Clement, it seems Rider Magazine is nothing but a SHADOW of itself...
What do you other subscribers think ?
I am not going to quit the magazine but I hope they get it back to what it once was.
Dave

Did not renew my subscription 2 years ago for the very reason the op described. Anymore with the internet you can find and research and read articles online for free.

They rarely carry content I'm interested in. It's like they are the Indian press corp. I get the digital edition and don't even bother downloading it to read later. In less than five minutes, I'm done with it.

Chris

Who wants to pay for content when you can get You Tube experts for free? When I read Mark Tuttle's last column I figured the writing was on the wall.

Last edited:
Ever since they basically 'folded'......and I just renewed......I'm done w/them. I too....a subscriber since day one. Sad! They did NOT handle the ending well....and in my opinion- pilfered $$$$$ knowing they were going under. Nuff said. I'll never spend a dime on their publication. Adios!

If the content was good, it would be well worth it. But it's not.

Kevin Ashe was probably the best motorcycle reviewer. He covered the little things that the manufacturer's press release didn't cover. What was the mirror height, because that was important info if filtering. They were honest reviews without holding anything back because of advertising dollars. If you want a few hours of enjoyment, check out the webpage, and consider donating to his widow. http://www.ashonbikes.com

Chris

Anyone else getting the Rider online mag for free? I stopped my paper edition a few years ago, but at the same time was getting the online copy, even though I never paid for it. Once the paper stopped coming, the online continued and I still get it monthly, along with Woman Rider and Thunder Press, both of which I never subscribed to, nor do I read now. I'm not complaining, mind you.;)

Ever since they basically 'folded'......and I just renewed......I'm done w/them. I too....a subscriber since day one. Sad! They did NOT handle the ending well....and in my opinion- pilfered $$$$$ knowing they were going under. Nuff said. I'll never spend a dime on their publication. Adios!
Yep, I knew something didn't smell right when they offered me a 24 month subscription for 12 dollars. But I canned them when they did not have a technical section every month like they use to. And I did not like the one and a half page test on a new model motorcycle that was half a**** done. And finally when they started to do anything to attract the Harley Davidson crowd and neglect their core customers I was done.

Most of the printed motorcycle magazines will go the way of the Dodo Bird. They are rapidly being replaced by on line content like ADVRider and video content on YouTube.

I like to read but I have to admit......I would rather watch an Itchy Boots video than read a Mark Tuttle article at this point.

If the content was good, it would be well worth it. But it's not.

Kevin Ashe was probably the best motorcycle reviewer. He covered the little things that the manufacturer's press release didn't cover. What was the mirror height, because that was important info if filtering. They were honest reviews without holding anything back because of advertising dollars. If you want a few hours of enjoyment, check out the webpage, and consider donating to his widow. http://www.ashonbikes.com

Chrissy
You would like British magazines like Ride or Bike. Honda wouldn’t advertise for a year in Bike after a particularly honest review. British mags are irreverent and funny too. I also liked Kevin Ash a lot. His first ride review of the NC700X was very insightful as was the first couple Bike reviews. Most motojournalists panned it for lack of horsepower and overlooked the design brief it met. But I think there are other good journalists since Ash’s death 8 years ago. Rider is the only US magazine besides BMWMOA Owner’s News I continue to read.

Free digital media is killing objective print media. Magazines and newspapers are but a shadow of the past.

print-is-dead.gif

Anyone else getting the Rider online mag for free? I stopped my paper edition a few years ago, but at the same time was getting the online copy, even though I never paid for it. Once the paper stopped coming, the online continued and I still get it monthly, along with Woman Rider and Thunder Press, both of which I never subscribed to, nor do I read now. I'm not complaining, mind you.;)
Same thing here.

Some time ago, I looked forward to getting the print edition, and prepaid for a lengthy subscription. Then it died. The current online "Rider" doesn't do it for me.
However, I'm pleased to report that I regularly receive an excellent Canadian publication, "Motorcycle Mojo". It continues to impress me, and is highly recommended! motorcyclemojo.com And for those of you who attended OnSToc a few years ago when it was held in "the county", you'll be intrigued to know the owner hails from there!

You would like British magazines like Ride or Bike. [...] British mags are irreverent and funny too.

+1
I like a lot "Practical Sportsbikes".

It is more oriented toward restoring, modifying, or even just doing maintenance on good old sportbikes from the 80's - 90's.

But not only those. They also make reviews of the new sportsbikes, tires, etc.

What is interesting is that, it is also a lot about readers. In every issue we will visit a reader's garage (and see some items it contains and the story behind it), there will be a few pages on a reader's unique motorcycle, same with the project of the month, there will be old pictures from readers with their first bike, and so on.

What I enjoy the most is the amount of passion and madness present.

And I really like their bloody humor.

This being said, with the pandemy, it is still hard for all magazines to stay in business.
All the small stores where I use to buy magazines have closed (non-essential products) have stop selling magazines or have just kept the biggest seller ( not enough customers around anymore).

Last edited:
Did they lose their mailing list??!!....my subscription never restarted........

I was wondering the same thing. I had a few years left on my subscription. It just stopped coming. I just thought it was something to do with COVID. I had a few print publications stop and start back up because of COVID delays. I used to get 6 print mags. Now I am down to 1. I like reading a mag on paper. With paper, you don't have to worry about finding a place to recharge a battery. Looks like they lost another subscriber. I really enjoyed them.

I still have a subscription but paper copies stopped after March 2020. Then I got the January 2021 issue in paper and thought that I would get more after that but I have not got a paper issue since January. I get the digital copies but I don't enjoy reading on the computer like I do a paper issue.

Back
Top Bottom