Possible new owner

Depending on whether the bike has a maintenance history that the owner gives you, you can expect to change all the fluids, maybe the tires and brake pads and possibly the battery. You should also check the SMC - this is easily done with the bike on the center stand at a pre purchase inspection (you will have to lie on the ground, unless you have a helper). Few guys have successfully rebuilt the SMC, it is easier to just replace it (Secondary Master Cylinder).

You might also skim some of the 1300 Articles (blue band atop this page >Articles>1300) to get an idea of the kind of help you can get here and some other items that might need attention. While the bike you are looking at is 16 years old, STs tend to hold up better than other bikes if maintained. That last 'if' is key.

SMC articles:

I just got it last night. Took a small test ride and was pleased. Today it was a little shaky. Wind was blowing fairly well and it has a GIVI trunk. When I get home I will take it off to see if the shakes go away. I have a good feeling thats what was causing it.
Any thoughts on this? I’m sure the topic has probably been addressed.

Back
Top Bottom