Helmets Is full helmet smart choice in case of an accident?

Afan, I guess the main question is: do you want to keep the face you were born with??
As with any accidents/incidents, we all have to put our faith and trust in all first responders, while at our most vulnerable.

Alli

I'm gonna rather have FF and hope that ER guys will take it off carefully, than have 3/4 helmet with 3/4 of my face in it.
:D

I have to change my avatar pic because it's really old and gives people wrong ideas...
:D

isn't our beST choice accident "avoidance" . . . . . . . . ????

annual "professional" riding critique and review and "periodic" discipline training, and the like ????

helmet yup, wouldn't ride without one. yup, it's "one piece" full face, Shoei.

thank you,
-elliot

Last edited:
Looks like I'm doomed if I ever crash again - none of the helmets I've ever had in the past 40 years (including the two I have now) even made the list,,,

Just looked at the Snell Foundation website and one of my former helmets (a Fulmer) appeared on the list of Snell certified helmets, but that helmet was retired years ago when it started drawing Social Security,,,

and hope that ER guys will take it off carefully
It seems that they're easy to deal with.

If your head hasn't swollen then the helmet is easy to remove with two hands and two people.

If your head has swollen you use a wire saw to remove the chin section to give full access to the nose and mouth. Once you're stabilised, they can take a plaster cast saw to the helmet and cut it in half.

Do some research on Lauren Hutton. She had a nasty motorcycle accident out a Lake Mead National Recreation Area during a group/charity ride in concert with the Art of Motorcycles exhibit when it was in Las Vegas. For the photo ops before the ride she was wearing a 3/4 helmet. During the ride, she switched to a full face helmet and leather motorcycle jacket from a light cloth jacket.

Unnecessary risk indeed but I try to mitigate the risk through proper riding and safety gear... so yeah full face for me too....

1gp1, we each evaluate risk vs. reward and make a personal decision.

For me: I wear ATGATT or I don't ride out of my neighborhood. I consider a full-faced helmet a necessity and I wouldn't consider a 1/2 helmet sufficient. With neck surgery, potential negative consequences are high even with a full-faced helmet. I've other interests too, so if I were in your shoes, I think it likely that I'd not ride any longer (or I'd later reconsider once the neck was healed and strong and I could wear a full-face helmet and all the other gear). But that's my point of view.
:)

I have 2 concussions from mountain biking. After my 2nd I decided I would not ride without a full face helmet because I had some minor scrapes on my face. I do own a 3/4 fulmer that I no longer wear. I have a Shoei Quest now. I always ride ATGATT. As for unnecessary risk, life is risk. Why fear death?

Back
Top Bottom