Honda announces Forza 750 maxi-scooter

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
This past week, Honda announced a new model, the Forza 750 Maxi-Scooter.

It does not look like it will be available in North America this year - but we can hope that maybe Honda will offer it here sometime in the future.

I really like my two STs (1100 & 1300), but they are not getting any lighter, and this scooter looks like it would be an attractive way to downsize, still be able to tour long distances, and still stay with the Honda brand.

Here's a write-up: The New 2021 Honda Forza 750 Is Here

Michael

Honda Forza 750
2021-honda-forza-750-beauty-3-4-front.jpg

It's cute.

"The new maxi-scooter is equipped with the same 745cc parallel-twin engine found inside the X-ADV and the NC750X."

For a promotional video, it was long on flash in the pan but little hard information about the scooter.

DCT trans ( vs normal scooter CVT) and chain drive ( vs normal scooter belt drive)

Doesn't have as much under seat storage as a normal scooter

Basically it's a NC 750x in scooter trim.

Honda's been doing that. Taking existing stock hardware off the shelf and putting it in something a little different. Yes, basically the NC750 under the skin with DCT. Of course UNLIKE a scooter that means it does have a real neutral gear that scooters don't really have. I see this as the replacement for the SilverWing. Would be much better if even a belt drive were used. Not only a bit less underseat storage than most scooters but rather tall in the step through. It would be nice to see the T-Max Tech 560 over on these shores as well, it has belt drive and a CVT, but this one and the T-Max are not offered in the USA... yet. I've been looking at info on both for several months now. (the new Forza has been rumored for more than a month and the T-Max has been out for a while now).

This past week, Honda announced a new model, the Forza 750 Maxi-Scooter.
Actually not so new at all...
It's a facelift Honda Integra (NC700/750D), avail since 2012...

Seems they're going the "one engine for all" alley now with that NC inline-twin unit...

A friend's wife got an NC750X, same 3-mode DCT, CBS, TCS & parking-brake, plus the storage compartment underneath the false tank...

NC750X.png

Nine years ago Honda released the New Concept motorcycles in three versions - the adventure styled NC700X, the NC700S standard, and the Integra scooter. Honda has had great success building a number of vehicles off the same platform in the automotive and motorcycle world. In the NC case, the aforementioned plus the CTX700s and the NM4 Vultus. The Forza 750 is another model sprung off the NC platform with the same or similar frame, engine, and drivetrain as in other 700/750 models above.

As mentioned by Ferret and ST1100Y the Integra and Forza 750 don't have the storage of a scooter, require the chain maintenance of a motorcycle, and cover everything with more plastic than the X and S versions. Contemporary reviews of the 2012 Integra picked up on those disadvantages and advised the "motorcycle" versions as a better choice.

Still, in other markets maxi scooters sell and Honda hasn't had an offering since the Silver Wing so with very little investment now they do. Maybe North America will see this model, unlike the Integra.

unfortunately for those of us who are short or with bad knees and hips, this will have a pretty high seat height and will NOT be a step thru.

Like rjs987 the Yamaha T Max 580 would be a welcome addition in the US in the Maxi Scooter line up. I have ridden a T Max 500 and it was FAST for a 500. Seemed much faster than my CB500X.

It's hard to define this as a scooter at least under CA law. It's got motorcycle horsepower no step-through frame no pedals and 17/15" inch tires. But if it has a floorboard area for feet and no pegs that would be one qualifying element. And it has DCT. Looks like a neat little ride whatever you call it.

It's hard to define this as a scooter at least under CA law.
What is the purpose of the State of California making a distinction between a scooter & a motorcycle? Here in Canada, if it has two wheels and it is not a moped (pedal-assisted two-wheeler with a very small gasoline engine) or a low power electrically assisted bicycle, it's called a motorcycle.

Michael

So now I am confused. It doesn't take much these days though. I always thought that I knew what a scooter looked like. A scooter had a step through method of mounting, rather than 'throw your leg over'. And usually it had a swing arm mounted engine.

Or it is one of those self propelled 'one foot on, one foot pushing' vehicles we used to have as kids.

I don't think we have a separate vehicle class called 'scooter' for tax, insurance or vehicle registration purposes In the Uk. But I may be wrong, I have never had the desire to own one. I could never find a Parka coat big enough for me.

I'm with John on the confusion front, but enough of aged related mental health issues.
I predict it won't sell well, which in line with the above has obviously now almost guaranteed it is a worldwide sales success. The scooter market in Europe and Asia is huge but these expensive beasts will probably be destined for the streets of Paris, Rome, Milan and Madrid etc. When you visit larger European towns and cities Maxi Scooters are everywhere and usually ridden by city gents in Armani Suits with their Givi City Case mono-locked to the rear.
Honda have been lazy here and if this is driven by exposed chain drive it won't be welcomed with open arms by the Armani set. I can't see them getting on their knees in a damp fag infested road to lube the chain and the scooters are left outside in the main.
I can see why Honda have done it, a bit of extra plastic, throw the "Frunk" away and voila a Super-Scoot, but that's the problem it ain't a Scoot. I know belts and pulleys are not maintenance free and not cheap either but that's something that can be seen to at the dealer when required.
Although I suppose Honda could fit the new "BMW" no maintenance chain, although in reality that just means it'll be thrown away at every service, but probably as clean and cheap as belts and pulleys.
Now where do I go to buy one?
Upt'North :old1:.

So now I am confused. It doesn't take much these days though. I always thought that I knew what a scooter looked like. A scooter had a step through method of mounting, rather than 'throw your leg over'. And usually it had a swing arm mounted engine.

Or it is one of those self propelled 'one foot on, one foot pushing' vehicles we used to have as kids.

I don't think we have a separate vehicle class called 'scooter' for tax, insurance or vehicle registration purposes In the Uk. But I may be wrong, I have never had the desire to own one. I could never find a Parka coat big enough for me.
John, it can't just be me/us.
Why the hell didn't they give it more bhp, slightly larger panniers to go with the already fitted top box mount, put a fuel tank where the gap is or increased the already decent fuel tank size and call it a ST750?
The engine is in such a low state of tune it couldn't be that hard to tempt out a bit more go.
Now sell that for the same money and it would sell like...........obviously all the above just means my confusion has set back in, I'll go and take my meds.
Upt'North.

I still like the final drive gear train that I have currently. About as reliable as a shaft drive and no different for maintenance. :biggrin:
Even though many still call a Burgman a "scooter" because it has a step through design and long foot boards, the engine is frame mounted up front and the torque and HP is about the same as many other motorcycles in the same 650 class. Only the final drive is part of the swing arm... just like a motorcycle. These super scooters are almost all frame mounted engines and designed the same as any other motorcycle other than having a step through, which can be done with many motorcycles that have the gas tank under the seat. This Forza/NC750/X-ADV shows that.

It is interesting to note that most pictures of this bike show the side from where the chain drive is not visible. Clearly trying to keep it away from plain sight. If they ever bring it to the U.S. they may want to change to a shaft drive.

It is interesting to note that most pictures of this bike show the side from where the chain drive is not visible. Clearly trying to keep it away from plain sight. If they ever bring it to the U.S. they may want to change to a shaft drive.
S1-essai-honda-forza-750-le-scooter-version-integra-le-650204.jpg

You loose a lot of efficiency with a shaft drive and chain technology is pretty darn good these days. I wouldn't let a chain keep me from decided on a bike.

is interesting to note that most pictures of this bike show the side from where the chain drive is not visible

Well, you can go here and get a 360° view ... and zoom in

Back
Top Bottom