Heading Northeast

I've started the Day 4 report four times and never finished it. I'm going to wait, now, until I get home to do the full write-up but a teaser includes beautiful scenery, fun (mostly empty) roads, and seven new states colored in on my Visited States signature map.

[EDIT 6/4- photos and story added]

Being in no hurry I deliberately broke camp late and very methodically. Instead of the two hour routine from the day before, it was a three and a half hour process. That included about a half hour of visiting with a woman who has been coming to the campground every year for about 30 or 35 years. It has reached the point that they know which specific campsite she prefers, and they hold it for her.

I finally hit the road around 9, and stopped almost immediately to look into a zipline canopy tour. Unfortunately they only run one a day and that wasn't until the afternoon, so I continued on. Another few miles down the road there are two "Scenic Massachusetts Byway" signs so I picked one of them and deviated from the plan. Why not?

It led me to the towns of Shelburne Falls and Buckland, MA, on opposite sides of a small river. In between them is the beautiful Bridge of Flowers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

They had lots of very colorful and attractive flora along the bridge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And also a very interesting vine-turned-tree:

attachment.php

The waterfall was attractive, too.

attachment.php

And in town there were other curiosities to behold.

attachment.php

Then it was onward through the Massachusetts countryside.

attachment.php

I discovered at some point that the left low beam had burned out (again- this is the third or fourth time that's happened since I got the bike. It's time to look into replacing the headlight harness with a different one- something I am given to understand solves the problem permanently.)

Stopping at an auto parts store revealed they were fresh out of H4 bulbs but they pointed me in the direction of another store a few miles down the road- and right on my way- so it was all good. There was also a laundromat close by to the other store, and a diner right next door. Oh and a barber next to the laundromat. That was about the most productive two hour stop I've ever made, on any trip.

Entering New Hampshire I decided it was time to play with my camera, so I pulled it out and mounted it on the dash. I set it to shoot one frame every two minutes, for up to 60 frames. Here are a couple examples of what I assume are reasonably typical New Hampshire road scenes. Very pleasant riding!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Arriving in SE New Hampshire ahead of plan I went looking for a NH State liquor outlet, because I was planning to get together with another forum member for breakfast the next day and wanted to make the proper impression, with a suitable gift. :)

The other friend, at whose house I was staying, texted to say an early arrival was all right with them because they were ready for dinner. So I headed to their place, met the missus, and we all headed to a local eatery for dinner. It's run by a couple; he's Lebanese and she's Italian. They compromised on what sort of cuisine to offer, by serving both. And it was plenty tasty.

My hosts are regulars there, so there was a lot of visiting and exchange of family news with the owners. That's what I love about such places- the personal touch.

After dinner my buddy and I rode over to tour what little coastline NH has to offer. It was a pleasant way to finish up a great day.
I used to date a girl in Sunderland many years ago while I rode my ST1300 out there she asked me if I would like to go see those flowers and the waterfalls. So there I was at the same places that you have been. Keith. Lol...

Back
Top Bottom