Gloves Gloves for Hot Weather Riding

STOC #
I need a new pair of gloves. I need some suggestions. The gloves I get from GI Joes are pretty warm.

I need a new pair of gloves. I need some suggestions. The gloves I get from GI Joes are pretty warm.

:04biker: Okay, I may be strange, but motobike gloves cost way too much. I ride in Phoenix (115 degree proj. again today) and use baseball batters gloves. These are pencil thin leather, cool, and you can remove your credit card from your wallet without taking the glove off. The brand is 'Easton' perforated leather, excellent fit. Available at WalMart, Big Five or other sporting good stores. Cost about $14. BTW if there is raise white lettering on the glove you can ink that black using a sharpie.:) :04biker:

I just purchased a set of summer gloves from Olympia. Breathable, two-toned to match my bike and what I wear for under $22.00. Check out Olympia summer gloves for a cool and refreshing ride in this steamy riding weather...

My other gloves are thick, leathery and armored...

With thinner (i.e. cooler) gloves, you do compromise protection... :22yikes: Are there really any gloves that are cool AND offer good protection as well??? :confused:
:cool:

:04biker: Okay, I may be strange, but motobike gloves cost way too much. I ride in Phoenix (115 degree proj. again today) and use baseball batters gloves. These are pencil thin leather, cool, and you can remove your credit card from your wallet without taking the glove off. The brand is 'Easton' perforated leather, excellent fit. Available at WalMart, Big Five or other sporting good stores. Cost about $14. BTW if there is raise white lettering on the glove you can ink that black using a sharpie.:) :04biker:

OK, let's think about this. What is the point of a motorcycle glove? If the idea, to you, is to keep your hands comfortable on the grips while you ride, I suppose this choice is fine. But if the purpose is to keep the skin on your hands ON your hands in the event of an accident, these pencil thing, perforated gloves are close to worthless. They'll most likely shred the instant the hit the ground.

I'm unwilling to compromise much on safety when it comes to gloves, so I won't touch any of these mesh summer gloves. I just don't think they'll do the job in an accident. I also won't wear any gloves that don't have a cinch strap at the wrist to keep them on in the even of a slide: it doesn't matter how good the glove is if it's 20 feet behind you.

These gloves look like a good compromise between cool / comfort an protection. Most summer gloves don't, imho, offer anywhere near enough in the way of protection. I just wear my Held Steves, and if I'm stuck in traffic my hands sweat. That's life.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/roadgear-carbon-maxx-gloves/

I use the First Gear Mesh Tex Sport. Use them in the So Cal 115+ temps and work great. They let the air in, but have leather palms and armor where you need it.

Here is the link from First Gear for the new 08 model.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb2.nsf/Products/172CE30A634F014A8625734D005C4E61?opendocument

I also agree with meyerweb. I used to use motocross gloves in the summer. Then I got to thinking, these are made for dirt, they will gone after the first two feet of a slide on black top. Switched to the First Gear gloves and have been very happy with them.

I wear Justin Deerskin roping gloves...get them at the local cowboy gear store....$25.00 and feel like "second-skin" search gloves.

+2 on the Steves. I ride in mine in temperatures above about 50?F. They're well-thought-out, nicely made and comfortable in temperatures approaching 100?F. I ride two hours every weekday in mine plus time on weekends, so for me the extra comfort is worth the extra expense.

Bob's point about protection is spot on, and it applies the same to gloves as it does to boots, jackets and helmets. Gear that is purpose-built for our sport tends to offer better protection, more comfort and a better feature set than gear that isn't. I can't see a glove designed for baseball being up to the job unless the players have started achieving high speeds on paved infields before sliding into third base. (I was at the Orioles-Pirates game last weekend and didn't see anything like that.)

There are lots of decent gloves on the market that can be had for under $60 a pair. I own a pair of Olympia 4350s (still in production after many, many years and priced at about $55) that were my year-round gloves until I got my Helds; now they pull rain and cold duty and are still comfy. The leather has become crispy after so many wet/dry cycles, so I think they're going to be replaced with some good cold-weather gloves and a pair of rainproof pull-overs for my Steves.

--Mark

"Strike" gloves from Shift. $14.95 at Beaumont Cycles.

Black gloves with white accents so you can really notice when I flip someone off. No confusion there .....

Just whatever you get, be sure it has no mesh to it. Guy on another forum posted pictures of his post wreck injuries. He was wearing leather gloves...with mesh between the fingers. They rotated to the mesh part when on the ground and stuffed his hands full of gravel, not to mention tore out most of the skin. They were still messed up 4 months later.

Every time I think about subtracting some bit of gear due to heat, I just look down at the ground whizzing by at 70mph and think what it would be like to put my hand down there.

Back
Top Bottom