EZ Pass, I Pass, etc. New Transponder & Motorcycles

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘18 Can Am F3 T
Illinois is rolling out a new transponder this year and other states are expected to follow. It is free and if you turn in the old one, your $10 deposit will be added to your available balance. No battery so theoretically, it will last a longggggg time. It sticks directly to a surface and is extremely thin. This means it cannot be removed without being rendered useless. Some speculate that it could be afixed to something that could be moved from one vehicle to another, but why, if it’s free? The latest advice from the state is that the new transponders are currently not recommended for motorcycles. Figures.

Greg

Oklahoma has had that system for awhile. They will issue one of the older, battery powered jobs for motorcycles.

In Georgia we have RFID tags called "PeachPass". Stick it to your windshield and off you go.

Types-of-Peach-Pass-Accounts-img.png
Headlight-Mounting.png

If you stay in Illinois, you don't even need a transponder as they scan the license tag and bill you, through your account, if you have it set up. If not, they'll track you down anyway. It certainly would be nice to have a transponder or something that works on all the tollways ion al the states.

I thought most states use toll by plate so transponders are in a drawer back at the house.

If you stay in Illinois, you don't even need a transponder as they scan the license tag and bill you, through your account, if you have it set up. If not, they'll track you down anyway. It certainly would be nice to have a transponder or something that works on all the tollways ion al the states.
Yes you do. In IL you are allowed 5 discounted tolls per month per vehicle if you dont carry the transponder in the vehicle. The sixth toll within a one month period is registered at the cash rate (not discounted 50%). So you are partly correct. You do not need to carry the transponder as the plate will be read. But after the 5th toll within a month you will be charged the cash rate.

BTW IPass works in IL, IN, OH, PA, NY and maybe other states as well.

Illinois Ipass works in 16 states and Canada but not Iowa :rofl1: :crackup: . In Illinois if they can not read the transponder 5 consecutive times they can fine you. They were also talking about just reading the plate number but that would save money that could go instead to their cronies then back to politicians in campaign donations.

SunPass PRO™ works on all toll roads and most bridges in Florida plus, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, parts of Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia. SunPass PRO also works anywhere that accepts E-ZPass.

Illinois Ipass works in 16 states and Canada but not Iowa :rofl1: :crackup: . In Illinois if they can not read the transponder 5 consecutive times they can fine you. They were also talking about just reading the plate number but that would save money that could go instead to their cronies then back to politicians in campaign donations.
Of course Iowa doesn't have any toll roads, so we're ok here.

I have a car transponder for the local toll road, had to use that road on the bike last year and I knew there was an extra $4.20 charge for having no transponder. I called them and told them I was on a bike and no where to put one, they said no problem, we can attach your bike plate to your existing account. That was easy for a change. ;)

Al you say that like our state politicians are corrupt :rofl1:

Transponders are cheaper for the state to operate versus paying a vendor to look up your license plate information and mail you a bill. Everybody wants a cut of the pie.

I have EZPass transponders and I just put the one designated for my motorcycle in a little zip-lock bag and tuck it in my pocket. Been doing it that way for 15+ years. Most of the time it works fine. The only trouble I've had is here in Florida when I have to go really slow by the reader to get it to register. I got the new battery-less ones a few years ago and they work the same as the old ones.

If you can get more than one, just stick one on a little piece of plastic and put it in a zip-lock bag. If it works through your windshield it should work through your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom