Crazy Tire Wear

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed this 180/55ZR17 Michelin Road 5 on my BMW RT about one year ago. Today it has gone 15,111 miles and still has 2/32" of the original 8/32" tread depth. This bike goes through front Road 5 tires faster than the rears but due to trips and such I've had to replace 3 fronts before they got to the wear bars so I don't really know how long a front will go. I replaced fronts between 10,000 and 11,500 miles but they could have gone maybe 1,500 to 2,000 more. I bought this tire with a $60 rebate on a set and with free mounting at Cycle Gear. Non GT on 600ish lb 100 rear wheel hp bike. I'm not exactly a sedate rider.

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

That's crazy... what tire pressure do you run? I never seem to get more than about 8500 on my bikes.

That is crazy, I just ordered a depth gauge. I do see how the 6 is getting better miles than the 5 on the rear, I put on the GT, will report back with depth numbers. I have 9100 on the rear 6GT.

Last edited:
Wow, I got 8,579 out of the Rear R5 on my 58 hp 495 lb NC 750 and that's the best out of 4 different brands of tires I've used on it. I'm down to 4/32 at 4,000 miles on the current Shinko Raven I'm trying. and I'm certainly no road racer. I'm a Speed limit +- 5 kinda guy.

I used to get 11-12K out of the Pilot Road 3/4's on my ST 1300

How did you get free mounting at CG?
It was part of the CG spring tire sale they have each year.... at least the last two years. I think the offer ran about second or third week of Febuary in 2023. In 2022 Michelin ran the $60 rebate currently with the CG sale but this year no bueno.

No, I don't work for Cycle Gear or endorse the business but the last two years the deal was better than my prior suppliers Rocky Mountain ATV, Iron Pony, or Motosport Tire.

It was part of the CG spring tire sale they have each year.... at least the last two years. I think the offer ran about second or third week of Febuary in 2023. In 2022 Michelin ran the $60 rebate currently with the CG sale but this year no bueno.

No, I don't work for Cycle Gear or endorse the business but the last two years the deal was better than my prior suppliers Rocky Mountain ATV, Iron Pony, or Motosport Tire.
Didn't know they did that. And I just bought tires... oh well.

That is crazy, I just ordered a depth gauge. I do see how the 6 is getting better miles than the 5 on the rear, I put on the GT, will report back with depth numbers. I have 9100 on the rear 6GT.
I am mistaken, I thought I had installed a 6GT, turns out it was my last 5GT and I have 2 6GTs on the shelf. After 9100 miles the 5GT is showing 7/32s on the gauge, so it looks like it only used 1/32 in 9100 miles, I'm impressed. The new 6GT will go on at the end of the month regardless of miles left on the existing. I will then ride 11k or so and update this.

15,478 on this Road 5 on the back of my RT. I ordered another one to replace it. As long as I can get non-GT Road 5s I see no need to entertain something else.

Here's the current R5 (dusty from them just tar and chipping our road) on my NC 750 with 6,041 miles on it. Measures 3/32" left to the wear bar. I'm guessing I'll get 7500 or so out of it.

2RwP3OW.jpg

Do you have to buy the tires from them to use the mounting service (at the normal price of $30 per tire)?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what is the date code on this miracle tire?
Counting the tire in post #1 there are two miracle tires if you wish. The one mounted on 4/7/2022 date code 16th week 2021 and this latest one mounted 5/3/23 was made in the 18th week of 2022. 30,666 miles on both together.
Do you have to buy the tires from them to use the mounting service (at the normal price of $30 per tire)?
Rob, I think they charge $50 to mount a tire not sold by them.

Didn't know they did that. And I just bought tires... oh well.
If you and your new tires are coming to OH-SToc, I can bring the changer and balancer along in the 5th wheel. LMK :biggrin:

Edit: Need to know by 5/30, as I'm heading out camping the weekend before and going directly from that campground to the OH-SToc campground.

Back
Top Bottom