Clutch Plate Replacement - typical mileage?

I'm in the market for an ST1300 (first time) and found a 2006 with 35,000 miles which recently had the clutch replaced. Is that typical?

Around when do clutches normally get replaced on these bikes? What's been your experience when a clutch plate needs replacing - is it from normal wear & tear, rough handling, etc.?

From what I have read here in the forum, the replacement interval for the clutch varies greatly - perhaps too much to cite a figure or a range.

Personally, I have a ST 1100 with 120,000+ miles and a ST 1300 with 60,000+ miles, both running on the original clutches, and have seen no indications that the clutch needs service on either one of them.

Michael

Agreed - except for police bikes which seem to chew through clutches in police service fairly quickly. If your prospective bike is a former police bike, that could explain the replacement clutch.

In “normal” civilian sport touring use, ST clutches seem to go a very long time.

I'm in the market for an ST1300 (first time) and found a 2006 with 35,000 miles which recently had the clutch replaced. Is that typical?

Around when do clutches normally get replaced on these bikes? What's been your experience when a clutch plate needs replacing - is it from normal wear & tear, rough handling, etc.?
It all depends on your driving habits. I don't see why a clutch cannot go over 200k without the need for changing

Thanks for the quick responses. This is not a police bike (nor is it a BMW :D), so what might account for a civilian bike needing new clutch plates after just 35k miles? Can you think of any circumstances?

I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but here's the description in the ad:
Great bike.. 35k miles.. New Windshield.. tires and brakes and rotors good.. Everything works well.. New Clutch plates.. Just had Oil Changed.. Shaft drive gear oil changed..

Appreciate the sanity check on this. The bike seems to be a good value given the mileage and options, but the clutch plate had me wondering. I've toured long distance before, but haven't held onto a bike for tons of mileage; this being a new model for me it's beyond my experience.

Thanks for the quick responses. This is not a police bike (nor is it a BMW :D), so what might account for a civilian bike needing new clutch plates after just 35k miles? Can you think of any circumstances?

I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but here's the description in the ad:

Appreciate the sanity check on this. The bike seems to be a good value given the mileage and options, but the clutch plate had me wondering. I've toured long distance before, but haven't held onto a bike for tons of mileage; this being a new model for me it's beyond my experience.
Have you talked to the owner?
Ask him why he had the clutch plates replaced.
Might he (PO) replaced the plates with aftermarket plates under the assumption that they would be an enhancement to the ST?
:think1:

...what might account for a civilian bike needing new clutch plates after just 35k miles? Can you think of any circumstances?
Yes.

If an incorrect oil specification was used (friction-reducing / energy conserving oil intended for automobiles), that could easily account for the clutch problems. See this post for more information: Oil Specifications.

Michael

Like never, statistically speaking.

I'd verify of what the seller is calling a clutch replacement. It might have had a hydraulic fluid leak or other maintenance of the clutch system and not actually cracking open the front cover and replacing the clutch plates. Sometimes people don't really know what they are talking about or they got this report from a service manager or salesman who got it wrong in translation. It takes serious abuse to cook a ST1300 clutch.

Last edited:
I replaced my clutch plates and springs at a little over 100K. I was replacing the water pump, and thought I'd get the clutch while everything was opened up, rather than waiting a week for parts after finding out I needed them. As it turns out, the old plates were halfway between the service limit spec and the thickness of the new ones. I want ahead and replaced them, since the parts were on hand and the front of the engine was opened up. Based on my experience, the clutch should be food for 200K.

If an incorrect oil specification was used (friction-reducing / energy conserving oil intended for automobiles), that could easily account for the clutch problems. See this post for more information: Oil Specifications.

Michael

Great to see this - lots of great things I can ask about re: clutch and how the bike was maintained. Thank you!

Have you talked to the owner?
Ask him why he had the clutch plates replaced.
Might he (PO) replaced the plates with aftermarket plates under the assumption that they would be an enhancement to the ST?

Have not talked with the owner yet. I sent an initial email with general questions and will ask about the clutch in follow-up.

I wasn't aware upgrading clutch plates was a thing on most modern bikes. The relatively low mileage for this replacement definitely has me wondering...

I wasn't aware upgrading clutch plates was a thing on most modern bikes.
For most bikes that receive normal use, 'upgrading' the clutch is not needed. If you are racing the bike or drag racing, then aftermarket clutches make sense. Modern oil filled clutches if not abused will last a long long time. In fact, dry clutches on some bikes (older Moto Guzzi's, for one) also tend to last a while.

Michael

+1

If the previous owner used an "energy conserving" oil (like most 10w30 and lighter car oil) it would make the clutch slip. I have read about owners (mostly other forums) that have gone through multiple oil changes with the proper oil AFTER contaminating their clutch plates with "energy conserving" oil and still experience slippage. Heck, when I used to teach MSF classes, our maintenance guy used that stuff for some of our bikes and even the feeble torque from a little 125cc bike was enough to slip the clutch with only half-throttle application.

Maybe the previous owner ruined the clutch plates with the wrong oil? Or maybe he just abused the hell out of his clutch?

FWIW, 87,000 and counting on original clutch here. :)

@dduelin - Sounds like there are some questions needed to qualify whether the actual clutch plate was replaced or if it was something else in the clutch system.

@STumped - if the wrong oil was used and that caused slippage requiring clutch plate replacement it sounds like an honest mistake was made and rectified, yes? As long as the replacement was done properly?

@STumped - if the wrong oil was used and that caused slippage requiring clutch plate replacement it sounds like an honest mistake was made and rectified, yes? As long as the replacement was done properly?

I would think so. If you get to take it for a test ride, try riding in second gear around 30 MPH steady speed. Then, roll on to full throttle quickly. If the revs go up but your speed doesn't, then you have clutch plate problems. If the revs go up and your speed does too, then.....hold on! ;)

Last edited:
Being Mr. Negative here...:shrug2: there has been a lot of good suggestions and comments, however, it could also mean that the bike was a garage queen and didn't get ridden much, and the clutch fluid turned nasty, and they thought it was the clutch (dealerships use this ploy) or, perhaps the Clutch Slave cylinder is toast, and they tried to fix the shifting issues by replacing the clutch plates, and didn't address anything else?
The wording: "just Had" the oil changed, makes me think the owner didn't do any of his own service work, and probably had a shop do it.....which may explain why he got gouged for clutch plates at such low mileage.
Lots of the folks here have found their clutch lever limp after a winter lay over, and maybe the owner did too, went to the local shop, and was convinced it needed clutch plates?
Why is he selling it? Maybe he/they didn't find the cause of whatever they were trying to repair....
Yes....I have trust issues :rofl1:

I would think so. If you get to take it for a test ride, try riding in second gear around 30 MPH steady speed. Then, roll on to full throttle quickly. If the revs go up but your speed doesn't, then you have clutch plate problems. If the revs go up and your speed does too, then.....hold on! ;)
Be aware that is the exact 2nd gear wheelie procedure for me. REALLY!! and the ST will give you a wheelie.

35K seems pretty low mileage for clutch replacement, but who knows what abuse it has seen.

I have to say, due to my commutes with doing a lot of Lane Splitting, causes my clutches to go prematurely, i.e. 60K.

I think I would want to see what the maintenance has been on it and what kind of riding has he been doing?

Be aware that is the exact 2nd gear wheelie procedure for me. REALLY!! and the ST will give you a wheelie.
Just to confirm, yes... Yes my bike does that too.

Apparently, officer, you can also change to 3rd without putting the front back on the floor too.

Back
Top Bottom