Aerostich Roadcrafter vs. Darien, and Aerostich vs. the rest of the market

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
A bit at a time, I'm working my way into higher quality riding gear than what I currently have. My next focus is a quality riding jacket for year-round use.

Because of their reputation in the long-distance community (and in no small part to Paul Pelland), I've been looking pretty closely at the Aerostich Roadcrafter and Darien jackets. Does anyone here have experience with both of them? I'm trying to figure out exactly what the difference is between them - namely, is the Roadcrafter basically a Darien with a removable liner?

I've also been wondering how Aerostich jackets compare to the other high-end (but constantly changing) products from Aplinestars, Rev-It, Dainese, KLIM, etc. My perception is that Aerostich jackets are more of an evolutionary product while the other brands are constantly changing things in the name of "latest and greatest", but I don't know if that means that one brand is "better" than any other.

My biggest priorities are:

* Must be Gore-Tex outer shell (I don't want to carry extra rain gear, and I think "rainproof inner liner" is bad design and a bit of an oxymoron)
* Must ventilate effectively. I don't care if it has only two vents or 20, and I don't care if it only vents in your armpits or all over your body. I only care that what venting is there is effective at flowing air in and out. I don't handle high heat very well.
* Must be of excellent build quality. Stitching that comes undone in six months, fabrics that aren't colorfast, low-price Velcro, crap zippers... things like this won't cut it. I have jackets that are made with cheap materials, and I want something that will be dependable and last me for a long time.

Anyone have personal experience to share?

I've worn a one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafters for 30 years. The first one lasted 19 years before I decided to spring for its replacement. I also have a Darien jacket and AD1 pants as well as a closet full of BMW, Klim, and Rukka gear and miscellaneous offerings from Olympia, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, and Vanson.

I qualify as an Aerostich fan, but being honest, I think the thing they do worst is venting in hot weather on a faired motorcycle like an ST. I don't handle heat very well either, so I now have vented jackets for hot weather. In variable warm weather (like mountainous riding) I'll take along a rain jacket to wear over it, or a non-ventilated Klim jacket as well. It used to be that the Aerostich onesie was my only suit. I've worn it to Alaska and I've worn it across the Grand Desert in summer. You can't say it won't do it - but you can say that there are better tools for each season. The Roadcrafter excels in spring and fall. The Roadcrafter also excels when you can only take one suit and the weather is going to be all over the place. The Rukka excels in Winter and the Klim Induction in summer. In winter, the 'stich's Goretex fabric flows too much air into the suit and in summer it does not flow enough. Location of the Roadcrafter vents aren't good for a motorcycle with a fairing. The only way to get it to flow great quantities of air is to wear wrist length gloves (not gauntlets) and open the arm gathers. After that you have to configure the windscreen so that air flows up the arms and out the rear vent. The ST11 does this nicely because the hands are outside the narrow windscreen unless you have replaced it with a barn door. The ST13, I am not sure because I have no seat time on one. It appears to shield the hands more than the ST11. The underarm vents on a faired bike don't get much airflow. As far as Roadcrafter vs. Darien - the Darien is a bit cooler and the Roadcrafter is more protective. The Darien is no smarter in vent layout than the Roadcrafter.

Bottom line, I don't think the Aerostich offerings will please you in hot weather.

Last edited:
In the summer months of South Carolina, I'll admit that I don't ride nearly as much. When the outside temps get north of 90, it's just too dang hot for my taste. If I had more appropriate gear for that weather, I'd be willing to try it.

The large majority of my riding is in fall, winter, and spring (I've already ridden over 1000 miles this month). Given your wide-ranging experience, what direction would you recommend I look if I had to limit myself to a single jacket/suit?

Negating summer, the Aerostich is fine gear. If I were buying only the jacket, I'd go for the Darien with TF3 armor. If I wanted a Roadcrafter, I'd stick with the one piece. Check out the Flea Market on ADVRider and be patient and you might find one slightly used for a very good price. I bought a nearly new condition one-piece Roadcrafter on ADV for $400. My plan was to have a size 42L for summer with no layers underneath and keep my 44L for cooler weather with a heated liner. But in the end, I didn't like the fit of the 42L and it still wasn't cool enough so I re-sold it. I bought my Rukka, my BMW Rallye, and one of my Klim jackets there. You might get a 'stich and a vented jacket to go with it for less than the price of a new 'stich.

I avoided summer riding last year because the ST11 is such a hot beaST - even with vented clothes. This year I have an unfaired motorcycle for summer - a Triumph Scrambler.

Am I correct in thinking that the Roadcrafter jacket has a removable liner, and the Darien is linerless? The Aerostich site mentioned the RC having a liner, but I can't determine if it's removable.

Am I correct in thinking that the Roadcrafter jacket has a removable liner, and the Darien is linerless? The Aerostich site mentioned the RC having a liner, but I can't determine if it's removable.

The Roadcrafter has a sewn-in liner that is not removable. I have the R3 one piece suit which is the same as the Roadcrafter but without the liner -- much cooler. I really like it and was surprised to find out that I was more comfortable on the road wearing the R3 than I was wearing my previously favorite mesh summer jacked. And this was in July, in Texas! I have ridden in temps up to 110 and, as long as I stay moving and have a water supply to hydrate (I keep a Camelbak bladder filled with ice water in my tankbag so I can drink on the fly), I am very comfortable. If stuck at a stoplight it gets very hot (as does a vented jacket) but as soon as I start moving again it feels like air conditioning as all my sweat evaporates and cools me off!

One feature that the R3 has that the older Roadcrafters don't (not sure about newer Roadcrafters) is magnets in the lapels that will keep the flaps open and they won't flap in the wind. Brilliant idea really, if it gets cold and I want to close up the collar they work the same as the older suits but in the heat they stay open and unflappable and really aid in the venting/cooling process. I cut my screen down a little so that the wind hits me right around my collar bone. With the R3, the wind enters the suit through the open collar and exits through the rear and armpit vents. At speed it literally inflates the suit and keeps me much more comfortable than a meash jacket (and with a LOT more protection as well). As a matter of fact, a friend mentioned (after following me for a while) that I look like the Hulk because of the way the suit inflates. I love my R3 and highly recommend it!

I really want a do it all suit as well, they just don't make one. Nobody. There is always a trade off. Carry rain gear, stop to put it on, or melt in the heat. Stop to put warm clothes on for that mountain pass, or melt. You just can not make a rainproof piece of clothing that isn't hot. ( this is where the stich guys go nuts, then, not tell you the time they had to stop for ice to dump in their coat to cool off, or pour a gallon of water on themselves to cool off) The really stupid thing is...... I still want too believe...….

I'm a 'Stich fan. Got my first on about 2007 and maybe 200,000 miles on them plus countless hours not on the bike. Have not worn my leather jacket or my older fabric jackets, apart from an odd short run since I bought the first 'stich.
Jackets: Presently have three Darien jackets. - have one for offroad, one for traveling and one for "best".
As they wear the collars go first and then the cuffs, but otherwise they last. Have changed a few zipper sliders and pulls, bought the 'stich repair kit, but otherwise as they age they just start to look well worn, especially the coloured ones - blue and red. But even if the outer shell, which I think is cordura, looks rough and damaged the jackets are all still 100% waterproof - except, and it's a biggie for me, the outer pockets let in water - which means that any paper stuff has to be in the inside pockets. For me too many outside pockets and not enough inside pockets, would like a map pocket inside the back vent if I have the S.O. with but otherwise not much I can see that I would want different.
As mentioned ventilation is not the best, but on a faired bike probably only mesh will work, on my unfaired rides not an issue..
Had tried a roadcrafter but certainly prefer a two piece suit and having a removeable liner is my choice, can take it off when it's hot and I can zip in the heated or the unheated 'stich liner, or a gerbings liner or whatever I want when it's chilly.
Pants: Have the std Darien and the Darien light (smaller to pack and fine for most of the year). They just work, it's a simple as that - no leaks anywhere, just zip pulls fail.
Have armour in most of the gear.
That's my take on them. There could be many suits out there that are matching or better than the 'stich - just don't want to spend the money required to find out.
Andy

I've owned a variety of riding jackets over 35+ years of riding. I'm not a fan of jackets where the off/on rain liner is inside the jacket. With the liner out you can get some really good venting depending on the jacket, but in the rain the outer jacket shell gets waterlogged, covered with mud, etc. I'd rather put on an outer rain jacket than and inner rain liner.

In 2019 I figured I would go upscale and try a high end jacket where the Gore-tex is laminated to the shell. After doing a lot of research I opted for the REV'IT Poseidon 2 GTX.

The venting is all up high, with big chest vents and the shoulder vents on the arms - so it works if your windshield is lowered. The outer pockets are waterproof. It is one of the only REV'IT jackets that comes with a zip on/off Gore-tex storm collar. I originally thought this might be a gimmick but I came to really like it. It kept my neck warm in colder weather and could be closed tight to keep rain from going down my neck in windy downpours. When the weather was warmer I would take it off. The collar has a tab loop that can be attached to a hook on the neck that holds the collar open for increased venting via the collar.

It comes in black and a silver/anthracite. There are lots of discussions out there about whether light colored gear is cooler in the hot direct sun vs dark/black gear. All my gear prior to the Posiedon has been black. There is no question in my experience that if you are stuck sitting still in a black suit you will be hot. You can feel the heat on the jackets with your hands. Touching my silver jacket with my bare hands in bright sun is definitely way cooler to the touch, which I'm guessing translates at some level to cooler inside on the body. The silver does show dirt a little quicker, but it cleans up nice.

I've only had it for a year so I can't say yet how it will hold up over the long haul. I wore it mostly riding in the Alps for apprx 8,000 miles. I rode it with an unfaired roadster type bike and apprx 3,000 miles on a fully faired RT. It was definitely toasty at 105F with humidity down around the Italian lakes. However at temps up to 90F with the vents open (there are also 2 big rear vents) and the collar tabbed back I was pretty comfortable.

As other have mentioned the Holy Grail is the hope that one jacket can do it all. It was really convenient when rain came to simply take 20 - 30 seconds and zip close the vents. If the day started out with rain or rain was in the forecast I'd have storm collar on, everything zipped up and I was warm and dry, even in all day windy and rainy conditions.

The jacket comes with a thermal zip in liner, which works well. I use a puffy, down-type liner instead that can be worn both on and off the bike. I frequently encountered temps in the low - mid 40's F and a couple of times below 32F and snow. The jacket handled everything with confidence.

I normally don't write this much about a jacket but I am very pleased with it to date. It feels bomb proof, works in a variety of conditions and feels like a quality piece of kit. Hopefully it holds up over time. So far it's definitely the nicest motorcycle jacket I have owned and for me it is worth the price.

My closet has a Roadcrafter Classic 1 pc and assorted Tourmaster mesh jackets and solid and mesh pants. The RC is my most versatile piece of gear and I've worn it on almost every multi-day ride in all weather and all seasons since 2007. With a few layers and electric it works from 30 degrees to 110, rain or shine. In the 30's I wear a windproof rain liner over a wicking base layer and heated jacket. I bought the first one used and a new one 4 years ago. I never would have spent the money on the new one if it was not worth it to me. I live in Florida and if the RC is hot I don't notice. Anything is hot when temperatures are high and speed is low or stop and go. Go ride or go home to the AC. I like the soft feel of the fully lined RC and I don't think I would like an unlined version but I haven't tried one - the RC original works for me. For day rides close to home I switch up the mesh or solid textile Tourmaster and the RC depending on mood and weather but if I could have only one piece of gear it would be the RC.

I have a 2-pc Roadcrafter from about '96 or '97 that's still usable, but I don't wear it often. Back in the day I wore it every day on my commute to/from work, and my only complaint was the zipper pull tabs would fatigue and break off the zippers fairly easily. Especially the ones on the sleeves because they are smaller in size, but the main zipper on the jacket broke as well. Aerostich would send me free replacements when I asked, but it seemed like a weak point in the suit. Have they improved that aspect of the suit over the last 25 years???

I have an R3 Light one piece as well as an old Darien jacket and pants set. Love them both. Having ridden in mesh gear for years, I was shocked to find that the Aero gear is actually much cooler in the awful GA summer heat than any of my mesh gear. Yes, putting Ziploc bags of ice in the front pockets is possible and feels amazing. The Darien vents particularly well on the ST13. Air flows up the sleeves and out the back vent and feels wonderful on the highway. Hot in stop and go? Yes but not any hotter than mesh gear.

I have the Klim Latitude jacket and pants and find them good up to the 85+ degree temps (providing you keep moving). My likes:
- waterproof Goretex outer layer so the jacket does not get waterlogged
- more of a shell suit. ie control the warmth/cool via layering which I like. I tend to run on the hot side so I rarely ride with more than a thin Merino wool long john and Merino wool baselayer, sweat shirt, and +/- eiderdown vest in cold weather. I have ridden in freezing temps, pouring rain all day and have been comfortable and dry.
- decent venting for warmer temps but doesn't match mesh although there is a school of thought that says you shouldn't wear mesh over 90 degrees anyway due to risk of dehydration from evaporative processes.
- Goretex guarantee

Dislikes:
- Price but if I had bought this (or similar) sooner I wouldn't have wasted even more money on lesser gear.
- the collar of the jacket can be a bit annoying in that it rubs my neck but a buff takes care of that.
- maybe a bit "stiff" but the protective properties of the cordura may make that necessary.

The Darien can only take air in through the wrist cuffs, correct?

Nope, there are 2 large armpit vents and a vent across the back shoulders under the reflective strip. But if you open the cuffs this will add to the air flow.

I have owned 2 Darien jackets over the last 25 years. I really liked the jackets but decided it was time for a change. I now have a Klim Latitude Jacket and pants. I've only owned these since last summer so I don't have quite the same time with them to make a good comparison. First thoughts are that the Klim has better airflow than the Darien did. I have the 2019 version of the Latitude and the collar was made shorter. Actually I think that it is too short now as it is hard to keep the cool air and rain from flowing down my neck. The Darien pants fit much better than the Latitude pants do. The Dariens feel like a protective pair of jeans. The Latitudes make me look like I need some junk in my trunk. I am on the thin side though, so somebody with more assets may not feel the same way.

My biggest reason for switching is when a friend rode down to see me through 6 hours of rain and his riding britches were soaked. He has a brand new pair of Roadcrafter pants. Waterproofing as always been my problem with the Darien clothing. I've always used Tech Wash to clean my garments and both wash in and spray on waterproofing. Eventually I end up fighting a losing battle.

The Klim gear is guaranteed waterproof for life. If it leaks they will replace it. Don't know anybody that has used this warrant yet so not sure what hoops you have to jump through. The nice thing is that the Klim can be washed with a mild detergent and after it is air dried all that is needed is 20 minutes in a medium heat drier to re-activate the waterproofing.

I can't really testify if this works over a period of time yet. Maybe somebody else can answer this question.

Last edited:
I have worn an Aerostich R3 Lite suit for the last 8 years in all weathers and love it. I wear it in the south east Texas heat in the summer and sweat, but so is everybody in a T-shirt!

I love my roadcrafter two pieces of suits.

Attachments

• 20190705_160322.jpg
    20190705_160322.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 25
I've got a pair of Roadcrafter pants; they've leaked in the crotch from day one. People say the new zippers really are waterproof but I don't think I'd spend $700 to take the chance PLUS have to wait on them. IMO, there are better options that you can have by the weekend. I've got a Rev-it jacket (not sure which model but very basic - waterproof, non-vented) and it's always kept me dry.

I've got a pair of Roadcrafter pants; they've leaked in the crotch from day one
I have heard that same complaint from several people including someone who is currently riding in Ecuador with a wet crotch and doesn't sound happy about it.

Back
Top Bottom