2014 Honda CTX1300

Thanks, guys!

Ed, glad you like it. :yes: Have you ran it at night? I assume the LED headlamps are poorer than the stock ST13 headlights?
Have not yet run at night yet, but another guy on the CTX1300 forum says it lights up the road pretty nicely, with a wider light pattern than traditional headlights.

The black with the silver wheels looks good. Do they come with ABS in that color scheme?

ABS is only on the Deluxe (at least in the US), and I think that model's wheels are black, along with some other trim bits. but it's still kinda bad-*** looking all blacked out, I think.

2014_Honda_CTX1300_Deluxe_1320530.jpg

Have not yet run at night yet, but another guy on the CTX1300 forum says it lights up the road pretty nicely, with a wider light pattern than traditional headlights.

An OEM LED Light should do just fine. The manufacturer can build the lamps and reflectors so they work well together. Aftermarket LEDs in housings designed for incandescent bulbs are a recipe for... Meh.

--Mark

Thanks again for the positive comments, guys!

Just one more note -- anybody who's not giving this bike a second look because of the rated HP and torque, all I can say is, don't let the numbers sway you. Ride it first before writing it off.

I'm still within the 'break-in' miles, so I'm trying not to hammer on it just yet (dealer recommended keeping it under 4500 for the first 300 miles). But I did wind it up to about 4K in 4th gear passing a couple of SMV's, and it was pulling hard. I was very pleasantly surprised. :)

This probably raises more questions than answers!

Why would Ma Honda wrap a "new" bike around the old ST1300 engine (with or w/o DTC) when the new VFR1200 is available??

Has Honda revamped the ST's V4 (doesn't look like it), or is it the same-ol same-ol?Pat according to the service manager at a honda dealer near me it has the same power characteristics as the ST1300 but in close quarters....e.g.....parking lots etc. a GL1800 has it beat...I sat on one the other day....Just didnt feel right ...My Wing feels a lot more ready to play in curves...There are heat shields on the headers but I doubt that will disapate the heat a 1300 emits....Tiller bars feel too far away....practically no windscreen although a taller shield is available....Seat is comfy...To be honest if I was in the market for a new bike I would opt for a Wing which does have a sporting nature for a big bike or better yet a left over ST....I'm thinking the inmates have taken over the asylum at Honda...Too bad I've been a Honda believer since 1972....Sochiro is probably having a fit in Honda Heaven....The only consolation is the fact that the the CTX1300 has that wonderful V4 and Sochiro WOULD approve of that.....

I think the CTX 1300 is a nice looking bike, I am just not into cruisers yet. But if I do get into them again I would look at the F6B harder than the CTX 1300.

Greg

I wasn't sure what to think of the f6b or this CTX1300 when first saw them. Now I rather like them both... a lot.
The CTX1300 (as has been discussed in many posts here and elsewhere) is modified for this application to provide much better low end torque. The result is that you get a strong pull at about 1500 rpm less than on the ST1300. The ST does have a stronger pull but you have to get that much rpm higher to get it (no problem there since most st riders run at higher rpm anyway). I went on 2 test rides on one in the last 2 weeks and found it had plenty of grunt for highway speeds in 4th gear, and would ride really relaxed with a low growl in 5th gear on the highway. Very smooth and more than enough left over for easy quick passing while at 65 mph with no downshift. Seating and bars and feet position are much more comfortable for me when actually riding it than even when I just sat on it in the showroom. It's a different animal for sure when it runs, and run it does. Very light and easy to manage and control.

Has Honda revamped the ST's V4 (doesn't look like it), or is it the same-ol same-ol?Pat according to the service manager at a honda dealer near me it has the same power characteristics as the ST1300 but in close quarters....e.g.....parking lots etc. a GL1800 has it beat...I sat on one the other day....Just didnt feel right ...My Wing feels a lot more ready to play in curves...There are heat shields on the headers but I doubt that will disapate the heat a 1300 emits....Tiller bars feel too far away....practically no windscreen although a taller shield is available....Seat is comfy...To be honest if I was in the market for a new bike I would opt for a Wing which does have a sporting nature for a big bike or better yet a left over ST....I'm thinking the inmates have taken over the asylum at Honda...Too bad I've been a Honda believer since 1972....Sochiro is probably having a fit in Honda Heaven....The only consolation is the fact that the the CTX1300 has that wonderful V4 and Sochiro WOULD approve of that.....

Yes, actually the 1300 V-4 has been retuned to deliver more torque in lower RPMs over a wider range. that means 'only' 84 hp and 78 ft-lb, and a redline just north of 7500. But don't let that fool you -- it goes. it's got the same transmission gearing as the ST, but the final drive is a bit lower to give it more bottom end punch. It does this while still spinning at a very comfortable RPM on the highway.

So far, the engine throws off no heat whatsoever. None. I was actually hoping for some heat while riding in cooler temps last weekend, but there wasn't any.

So you've sat on a Wing, and you still think the bars on the CTX1300 are too far away? Maybe it's the instrument panel that sits pretty far forward that's throwing off your perspective, because actually riding it, the bar position is perfectly natural. I haven't seen them side by side, but it looks like there's at least as much pullback on the Wing's bars as on the CTX's.

As for 'sporting', the CTX handles and responds extremely well for a bike of this size and weight. I've never ridden a Wing, but I have owned an ST1300 and several large cruisers, including a Triumph Thunderbird, which Triumph boasted as having sport bike-like handling. Well, that claim did turn out to be just a bit optimistic; but the new CTX feels many times lighter than the T-bird, even though they're both about the same weight. I wouldn't quite classify its handling with a sport tourer, but it's darn close.

Of course this bike isn't for everybody, but no one bike is -- especially the two you mention you're considering. Me, I've been itching for Honda to put that V-4 into a cruiser-like platform since I unloaded the ST over 10 years ago. So far it is totally living up to my expectations.

You can't compare a Wing to anything... unless you've owned one... it's in a class by itself. :)

Saw it or something that looked a whole like it at bike show recently, there will be people who will like it but as others have said it is not a sport touring bike

I have owned a Wing. Albeit the previous version to the current engine (GL1500). The CTX reminds me a LOT of my old GW, only much more manueverable and lighter but every bit the same or possibly better punch. Just as smooth and even a more comfortable saddle. And that just from a couple of test rides.

Pity those of us that would like a REAL sport touring bike upgrade................not a cruiser/scooter type bike...........room for both.........just sayin'.............ff

I do hope Honda comes to their senses and does present an update to the ST. In the mean time they are moving forward into other riding categories like this touring-cruiser custom crossover.

Pity those of us that would like a REAL sport touring bike upgrade................not a cruiser/scooter type bike...........room for both.........just sayin'.............ff

Try using bold letters to make your point....lol. I agree with you, time for an ST update. On a side note, my salesman friend's dealership received it's CTX.......and it had been forklift skewered.......someone will get a deal, lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom