2013 FJR1300 - Shuey's Farkles

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
First off, I probably should have titled this Shuey AND Kreis's Farkles as Kreis "h20rider" did all the work installing and wiring everything up while I was recuperating.

Starting in 2013 Yamaha made a significant upgrade to the FJR adding features I've been accustomed to paying extra for and adding to my STs but also eliminating some of the attachment points used to mount farkles in earlier models. It created some difficulties, but Kreis was up to the challenge. As you'll see, he did an outstanding job. Very clean and functional, and anything he couldn't get . . . he'd just fabricate it himself.

The aux tank is still to be added and it'll go under the Pelican top box and extend over the rear seat.

So, take a look and I'll do the best I can to answer any questions. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Shuey

Front
attachment.php

Left
attachment.php

Rear
attachment.php

Right
attachment.php

Instruments
attachment.php

Right Handlebar
attachment.php

Left Handlebar
attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks great Shuey, having the best in the "Biz" do it helps a bunch. Nice clean job as always Kreis.

Thanks for putting this together Shuey. I'll be giving it a good look. At 1st blush it looks fantastic!

(In pic #2 I was trying to understand what the big gauge was doing on top of your pelican box -- Lol, don't mind me. ;-) )

Here are some first impressions of the FJR comparing it to my past 3 STs. In no particular order . . . it's a stream of conscience kind of a thing. Know what I mean Vern?

First, my thanks again to Kreis "h2orider" for all his patience, expertise, time and energy in molding my new FJR into an LD bike. I knew what needed to go on it and he figured out how to do it and . . . did it. Thanks Kreis!

The ST is comfortable for the long days and miles with the rider well protected from the wind and elements. Between touring and sporting, it's fun in the twisties, but definitely more of a touring bike.

The FJR, with a bigger windshield (the stock screen is purely decorative as far as I'm concerned) and a more forward lean to the bike as a whole regardless of adding risers, is ok for touring but great for sporting through the curves. It's about 100 lbs lighter than my STs which improves it's agility while greatly degrading it's comfort and stability in higher winds.

The stock cruise control (a key factor for me in choosing to switch brands) is dead on accurate and briefly gives up or adds only 1 mph regardless of grade drop or rise before return to the set speed. It's only drawback, for the 2013 models, is that Yamaha crippled it by limiting its usability only up to 80mph. If you want to run the 85mph speed limits now set in some states, it's hand throttle work only. Yamaha corrected this in the 2014 models but has no plans to do anything to correct the 2013 . . . "it's just something we threw in, not a feature." Don't look behind the curtain, read the adds or watch their videos.

The FJR provides a wealth of data available on the display, three pages of three items each which can be set by the rider from a laundry list of choices. There's definitely a learning curve to using the data, not as user friendly as the ST.

How many miles left before empty? All three of my STs were dead on accurate as to when I'd run out. The flashing countdown of miles remaining based on current consumption rates was great. I'd add the number to my odo count so I'd know at what mileage I'd be stranded after the count went to dashes. The FJR when you'd get to the countdown instead clears the data screen and provides a mileage count starting at . . . ZERO and counts up! It doesn't consider consumption at all. My first inclination was to carry a little fuel and run it out to see what the count was. 48 miles and I ran out. Now I know great. On the road next time, ran out at . . . 8 miles (well, I had been pushing it along a bit for about 4 hours). I liked the ST version much better, but i'll get used to this one. (The FJR does have a data item for "miles to empty" which seems to work ok until you get to what would be the last bar on an ST when it disappears to be replaced by the count up data item).

The ST has plenty of power and torque and I NEVER felt that I needed more power. On my first ST going 55 and deciding to pass someone only going 50 it seemed that I'd already be by them before I decided to actually do it and . . . holy smokes, 3 digit mph, whoa baby.

The FJR has a switch that provides a "Touring" and a "Sport" mode. Touring mode is very comparable to my STs. The first time I switched to Sport mode, it almost threw me off the back of the bike and scared me half to death. I quickly switch back to Touring. It takes some getting used to, and now, although I don't use it a lot, I'm comfortable and it's a lot of fun in the right situations. Sport mode doesn't add an power, but brings it on more quickly.

Removing the plastic: The ST is much easier. You can see all the bolts, fasteners and pins. The FJR is like a puzzle with a certain order for disassembly and the need for auto body plastic adjusting tools to coax hidden molded in pins out without breaking anything. I'm still working my way through it all.

The FJR spaces under the seats are far superior to the STs. Lots of molded in sections each with their own rubber retaining strap for holding fuze panels, comm equipment, tools and whatever. Speaking of tools, the FJR comes with a complete set, not just a piece of foam and an allan wrench. Rear light bulbs are easily accessed under the back seat without the need to unscrew or dismantle anything. Love it.

Bottom line is that I . . . really like the FJR. We're still coming together as a team, but it won't be long.

OK, enough for know. Verbose key . . . "off".

Shuey

Good looking work......and thanks for the comparo....that new red one might end up in my garage.......BTW, the title hit my funny bone.....Shuey's Farkles....kinda sounds like a disease, you know like Hashimotos or shingles or something.........................ff

It is wonderful to see you setting up to continue your LD riding. Does this mean we can expect to see you in another Iron Butt Rally?

I honestly found the FJR to have a more upright seating position than my ST1300 with both completely stock. I find my Honda to have fewer nitpicking little issues but I am sure tempted by the upgrades to the Gen3 FJR. Especially that electronic suspension version, which I just happen to be doing a demo ride on tomorrow...

Good looking work......and thanks for the comparo....that new red one might end up in my garage.......BTW, the title hit my funny bone.....Shuey's Farkles....kinda sounds like a disease, you know like Hashimotos or shingles or something.........................ff

Lookin' good Shuey. Somehow, I got the impression when I was with you in FL the trip north was to get the fuel cell. Still not ready?

(The FJR does have a data item for "miles to empty" which seems to work ok until you get to what would be the last bar on an ST when it disappears to be replaced by the count up data item).
The "miles to empty" aka 'traveling range display' is still available when the 'count up data item' (aka "TRIP-F") appears. You just have to hit the select switch to switch to the screen that displays it. See page 4-12 in the 2013 MOM

The "miles to empty" aka 'traveling range display' is still available when the 'count up data item' (aka "TRIP-F") appears. You just have to hit the select switch to switch to the screen that displays it. See page 4-12 in the 2013 MOM

Appreciate the response.

Just checked and I had noted that, but I would prefer to set up the 3 data items I want to view most, display that screen and not need to toggle to a different display to get something useful. The miles accumulated count when fuel is low is . . . not of any value to me at all.

Shuey

Well . . . you might not be far off. Check the license plate.

Shuey

It is wonderful to see you setting up to continue your LD riding. Does this mean we can expect to see you in another Iron Butt Rally?

I honestly found the FJR to have a more upright seating position than my ST1300 with both completely stock. I find my Honda to have fewer nitpicking little issues but I am sure tempted by the upgrades to the Gen3 FJR. Especially that electronic suspension version, which I just happen to be doing a demo ride on tomorrow...

I'll still ride shorter rallies, but I've accomplished all my personal IBR goals and don't need to go again. I'd rather be a volunteer or see pursue other new experiences.

Enjoy your demo ride. I'll be interested in what you think of the "Sport" mode if you give it a try. I'd recommend starting in "Tour" mode first so you can feel the difference. It also has really great breaks, beware of inadvertent "stopies."

Shuey

Looks fantastic ~! Just one question, how long does the pre-flight check take ?? ;)

6-7 minutes if I'm patient, 60 seconds if I perform Steps 1, 3, 4 & 5 and run the other checks on the fly.
- Step 1: Turn on the PDM to power the TPMS and GPSs.
- Step 2: Finish packing and suiting up. Visually walk around and check bike.
- Step 3: After approx. 6 minutes the TPMS will give pressure readings for both tires (unless air has been lost then it flashes red immediately).
- Step 4: Visually check tire air pressure. If a few pounds short, adjust at a nearby filling station.
- Step 5: Adjust GPSs as needed, insure SPOT is turned on.
- Step 6: Put gear in Neutral, ignition on, engine start, kick stand up,
- Step 7: Roll when ready.

Shuey

Great job at farkling your new FJR.

Thanks Jim. This is the 3rd time around so knowing what was needed and where to get it was the easy part. The real credit goes to Kreis "h2orider" who created a masterpiece thats both functional and beautiful.

Shuey

motomac: Nope, went to Yamaha of Memphis to discuss the 2013 FJR cruise control issue, dropped off the ADV "Nutsy" and "Patriot" nuts, rode through Dyersburg to check out hotels and identify where I wanted to stay to start the CF1K, then over to Kreis's house for a short visit and ride down to Tellico Plains to see Mike at the Outfitters before he's retired and the shop is closed . . . then it was Rt 68 South heading home through Eufala staying ahead of the ice.

It was nice to be out and about since you wouldn't extend your stay in Niceville any longer! (Chuckling to myself)

Jon: Glad you liked it. Any questions, I'll provide more.

H.R.: Safety first. Everything on the bike is secondary to what's in front of me, around me and what's safe! Bike features I can't use without looking don't get used until I've practiced enough to not need to look.

Shuey

Shuey, couple of questions: 1) if ignition doesn't have to be on for step 1 of the pre-flight, what keeps someone else from doing it in middle of the night? 2) why two GPSs?

Shuey: Awesome. You told me what you'd done, but your words just didn't quite prepare me for the full extent of what you and Kreis have managed to accomplish. You're going to need to lower that tinted visor when you crank on all those lights. No doubt they'll be able to watch you going down the road at night from the International Space Station.

A beautiful job setting up that bike Kreis and Shuey. Looking forward to seeing it at Moonshine.

You never mentioned anything about the nicest looking farkle, the paver block driveway that the bike is parked on... ;)

Shuey, couple of questions: 1) if ignition doesn't have to be on for step 1 of the pre-flight, what keeps someone else from doing it in middle of the night? 2) why two GPSs?

Two good questions, thanks.

First, the PDM is powered directly from the battery and everything connected to it draws almost nothing for power, so it can be left on for hours with no worries. If someone knew where to look for the switch, and were so inclined, they could turn it on during the night. However, if you check the "Right Handlebar" pic, and since this isn't a stock item, imagine there isn't a red line pointing to it. It's nearly invisible and doesn't look like a switch. If they did find it and did turn it on, I'm confident I wouldn't have a problem in the morning (then again, I don't plan on testing it out).

Second, why two GPSs? Mainly to eliminate the need for paper maps. One GPS is zoomed in to show me the local area and what roads are coming up. The problem is that if you zoom out to see where a road goes, often times the smaller roads disappear. Therefore, the second GPS can show a larger area in view with major roads while the other stays at the smaller area view.

Another reason, is to have the Zumo 660 do the navigation work while I display the XM radio controls on the Zumo 665. Easier to change the channels without a lot of button pushing. OR if weather may be threatening, the 665 will be set to display the Weather Radar full time so I can sometimes avoid problems or be prepared for what I'm heading into.

Lastly, for rally work, having two GPSs saves time. One is navigating me to the next bonus location while the other is set up for the bonus location after that. On arriving, I satisfy the bonus collection requirement then take off following the directions of the other GPS which was already set. On the way, I'll update the now unused GPS to the bonus location 2 bonuses out.

Shuey

Back
Top Bottom