windshield

I was taking off the panel under the windshield and noticed that it appears that you can raise the windshield about an inch by switching angle brackets from left to right. Has anybody tried this. Almost looks like that is the way it is designed to be used.

Don't know how to do pictures, but it is the bent plate with the adjustments on it.
I bought a cal sci windshield years ago for my passenger comfort which worked well and just noticed that if I put them on differently I could have left the old windshield on even though it would still have been narrower. Wondered if anyone had tried this and how the raising affected the airflow underneath. Could go back to the oem if it lets more air on me and still protects the passenger. I will try it, but was curious.

Don't know how to do pictures, but it is the bent plate with the adjustments on it.
I bought a cal sci windshield years ago for my passenger comfort which worked well and just noticed that if I put them on differently I could have left the old windshield on even though it would still have been narrower. Wondered if anyone had tried this and how the raising affected the airflow underneath. Could go back to the oem if it lets more air on me and still protects the passenger. I will try it, but was curious.
Do you have an 03 with the non motorized windshield?? If so, yes there are two mount locations.
T

No mine is a 04, electric windshield works fine just sharing what I noticed when taking nose apart, had not tried to switch brackets to raise original windshield and wondered if anyone had tried it,

I would have thought that would put the mounting holes for the screen out of line.

As said, there are two positions for the windshield to be securely fastened to the raising/lowering mechanism. If you switch them from side to side, I think you are torquing the sliders on the tracks. Given the cost of a new mechanism and the hassle of digging down to take it apart for cleaning, I'd not add any more stress to moving parts.

Once when I had mine off I accidentally put it back together the way you are talking about. The holes did not line up on the windshield so I put the pieces back the way they were originally and everything went together easily. This was some years ago and I no longer have the ST. BTW, I took the OEM shield off and installed a Calsci - and loved it. For me, the improvement was marginal, but even a little more protection was what I wanted.

You should be fine if you reverse them. Just ensure the brackets remain inside to align with the windscreen holes. Obviously if they don't then you're not following.
My experience is just what the short video displayed repositioning the brackets on the upper or lower position will provide approximately 4 or 5 inches of windscreen difference.
As you said a benefit for you or your passenger of protection of the elements. IMHO I'm 6'2" with a seat pad and my windscreen is positioned so I just see over the top.
Dave.20190404_154612-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom