What is a 2017 BMW F700GS-L Worth?

Bike
2010 ST1300
One of my friends in the local club is selling his F700GS. I am being offered this bike first, before anyone else, and I will take it for a test ride on the first nice day and compare it to my VStrom. Both of us are short, and while I have not yet tried the bike, I might be able to flat foot it (a big plus in my book). I do wonder, however, about the resale value of this bike in maybe 5 years. I like most all of his additions to the bare bike, and know for a fact that the bike has not seen much off road use. I do have to admit, however, I would be hard pressed to buy some of these high priced accessories, and would make do with cheaper brands.

The bike looks new, and has 9916 miles on the odo. He maintains his bikes well and as you can see below, spares no expense.

I tend to be wary about buying from friends. That said, I don't have a problem making him a counter offer and leaving it at that. He is asking $9,000.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 11.27.31 AM.png

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
He has some great accessories on there and depending on bike’s condition. But judging by what you said it’s probably in nice shape. No pics, $9k seems fair for all the accessories. You could offer him $8500. However unless the buyer wants those accessories, they usually only worth about half of retail. How are the tires? Like he said, what are you willing to pay?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Gads some of those acc are ridiculously priced imo. $800 for a seat and then another $105 for a sheepskin butt pad? $100 for mirror extensions?\

Bike appears well kitted out though.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm begining to think his price is fair. Our local dealer has a '15 w/ more miles and no accessories beyond engine guards for 7500. I'd expect some barganing w/ a dealer, but it is nowhere near as nice as my friends.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Anytime I see someone list all the stuff they did, tells me they think they will get all that back when they sell it etc.
JD Power and Kelly list it between $5,000 and $7,000.
A lot of buyers may not want all that stuff, so it really is just what you’re willing to pay for one.
Factor in that BMW service costs are going to be much higher than your Suzuki, if you don’t do your own work.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I guess the most prominent question is: as you have an ST and a V-Strom, are you in the market for a 3rd bike? If you like what you have, save the $9K. I only say this as you have a bike in the same class as the BMW- why have 2? This is just an opinion, of course.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I guess the most prominent question is: as you have an ST and a V-Strom, are you in the market for a 3rd bike? If you like what you have, save the $9K. I only say this as you have a bike in the same class as the BMW- why have 2? This is just an opinion, of course.
I sold my ST some years back... in the back of my mind I keep looking for a lighter, smaller replacement that is as good in as many ways as the ST was. And yes, I know that is a fantasy. I like the VStrom...guess I'm looking for a new experience. I will take it out for a test ride and if it is basically the same as my VStrom that will seal it - a no point in spending $$ for the same thing. If it is significantly different, then I might make an offer.
JD Power and Kelly list it between $5,000 and $7,000. Factor in that BMW service costs are going to be much higher than your Suzuki, if you don’t do your own work.
I do most all my own work. Thanks for the values, Larry.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
If it is significantly different, then I might make an offer.

Besides the badges, how could it be? Sounds like you're just looking for some conformation on a decision you already made. Just buy the thing and know its in great shape, or buy something you're not already riding and have a new experience.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you try looking on Cycle Trader?
Yes, I did. Thanks for the link. The real issue for me is my friends is the 700 GS-L. It comes from the factory with the lowering kit and he has the low saddle. I was an expert ST dropper...any anomaly on the ground - grease, water and oil at gas stations, gravel, ground sloping away, a pothole in the wrong spot - as I drifted to a stop and o'er she went. This was mostly due to me having to tiptoe the bike at stops. I even became quite good at picking it up alone. I have far fewer drops on my VStrom, and I want to try out the GS to see how I can plant my feet. I know the guys here who say learn how to land on the same side all the time, but that has not worked for me. It will ultimately come down to how the bike feels and if I want to spring for the $$'s for the premium accessories.

I do have to wonder a bit about engineers who design a bike so that it needs an aftermarket brake reservoir protector.

It will ultimately come down to how the bike feels and if I want to spring for the $$'s for the premium accessories.
There you have it. I recently purchased my 2012 ST and it had things on it that I really did not care about (keyless ignition, 3 month old Delkevic exhaust, $80 each, adjustable clutch and brake lever, etc) I still felt it was a good deal at that price point and bought it

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, I did. Thanks for the link. The real issue for me is my friends is the 700 GS-L. It comes from the factory with the lowering kit and he has the low saddle. I was an expert ST dropper...any anomaly on the ground - grease, water and oil at gas stations, gravel, ground sloping away, a pothole in the wrong spot - as I drifted to a stop and o'er she went. This was mostly due to me having to tiptoe the bike at stops. I even became quite good at picking it up alone. I have far fewer drops on my VStrom, and I want to try out the GS to see how I can plant my feet. I know the guys here who say learn how to land on the same side all the time, but that has not worked for me. It will ultimately come down to how the bike feels and if I want to spring for the $$'s for the premium accessories.

I do have to wonder a bit about engineers who design a bike so that it needs an aftermarket brake reservoir protector.
First, life is short and too short not to miss opportunities to enjoy it. Motorcycles are fun things. I test rode the WeeStrom 3 times in 2012 when I was looking for a 650 class bike and I found it very top heavy compared to the others ( Versys and the then half faired version of the Ninja 650 Kawasaki). I really wanted to like the Wee because how popular it is in the riding community and plethora of aftermarket support but I just wasn't what I expected. The little GS can’t be any more top heavy than your Wee and you may really like it after paying the roundel tax to acquire a nicely kitted one that is somewhat different from others out there. A lowered one is a plus and having the extra bling may enhance the ownership experience.

It probably doesn't actually need the reservoir protector if not off roading.......

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I enjoyed my f650 Dakar for a few years, before I went KTM 950 for more umph.

It was actually a decent capable bike offroad, and I got it for dual sporting.

Do you plan to go off piste at all? Does it have engine protection or a bash plate? I don't see any listed.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Do you plan to go off piste at all? Does it have engine protection or a bash plate? I don't see any listed.
Probably not hard core off road riding and not a lot of it. Half a dozen of us did the MABDR a few years ago and there was one downhill section that did result in a nice long scrape in my VStrom's skid plate (lots of nice sized rocks, gullies, and pockets that would be car swallower potholes on the street). I probably will not be doing that kind of thing again...but who knows?

That said, yes, the bike has a $400 Alt Rider skid plate.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Well, did you buy it....
Well.... no. I may some day kick myself for a missed opportunity, but the bike simply does not excite me. And there are some concrete reasons for me, too. When I rode another club member's 700GS some years ago, I noticed an annoying buzz - vibration from the motor that was felt in my butt, the pegs, the handlebars (some what less in the bars). This bike had it too. I found the speedo and tach and LCD screen hard to read in direct sunlight, the expensive side cases are ENORMOUS and they also expand. @Sadlsor could fit his companion in one of them...ok, he would need to cut an opening in the top and there goes the latch). Bottom line for me, is I'd probably never use these cases because of their size. The owner confessed that he never used them either and kept them in his garage. Service for the bike would be 60 miles away, and as nicely farkled as this bike is, I would probably not have fitted it out the same way. I've always serviced my bikes (except for major problems) and BMW does not make this easy. I'd need the diagnostic black box at a minimum. The last nail in the coffin for me is what attracted me to the bike in the first place. This is a GS-L, it is lowered by the factory. I read online that raising the bike is neither easy or cheap, and I wonder how many other folks out there would want the bike when I am ready to sell.

I'm going to keep looking for something else, probably without a roundel and with a logo...hopefully one that has wings.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting, my f650gs never showed me any annoying vibrations, in bars, pegs or seat.

Although it's been some years now, I'm sure I sure I would have noticed, because the bike I sold for it was the ultra-smooth Blackbird (with wings), so an inline-4 to a large single cylinder.

Top Bottom