Vredestein here I come.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Today I put the Vredestein Hypertrac and rear pads on the bike. The old rear was a Pirelli Centauro? that had 30K on it and was still serviceable but this was my window for swapping out tires. I'll let everyone know the mileage when it wears out. Maybe late summer. Maybe Saddlesor will chime in with his mileage to date?
IMG_7091.jpg

I will very likely not go darkside or double darkside but this is an interesting thread. I look at the rear tire and think

1712533925572.png

NO WAY!

Then I see a pic of it mounted and

1712534034178.png

WAY!

Of course putting in a rim and filling it up changes things but I had no idea it would be that much. It's really a nice looking tire for what little that matters.

Could someone post a pic (at their convenience of course) of the Darth Vrender mounted with the ST completely buttoned from directly behind?

@970mike / @jodog / @Sadlsor and @cneher – what air pressure do you guys use on the Vrendes?

I'm at 30, 28 is comfy and stable.
I'll look for pics and post if I can find 'em.
What I like is... NO grinding swingarm!
I let all the air out and put plastic grocery bags over the swingarm to ease it in place.

I will very likely not go darkside or double darkside but this is an interesting thread. I look at the rear tire and think

Could someone post a pic (at their convenience of course) of the Darth Vrender mounted with the ST completely buttoned from directly behind?

@970mike / @jodog / @Sadlsor and @cneher – what air pressure do you guys use on the Vrendes?
Buttoned up pic at 40 psi. Size is 205/50.

IMG_7093.jpg

40 psi, NO NO NO. It should be 25 to 28 for a good ride good handling best life. Not to preach too much but if it was on heavy car it would have 32 max. No need for 40.

Between my ST, 3 Valkyries and now my RT I have over 350,000 miles on car tires. Lower that pressure!

First ride report on what I am now calling the "V" tire.

When I was putting the tire on I looked at the swing arm and thought that it was going to rub for sure. But it turns out I have a credit card worth of clearance. That's a good reason to keep the pressure up :) Ran it around the block for about 300 or so miles today. Took it easy at first to get all the sticker glue and gooey hand sweat worn off while steering clear of the tar snakes and painted lines. At first the tire seemed stiffer, felt like I was feeling the bumps more than with the Pirelli, but still less than the Bridgestone RunFlat. Wondered if I was just paying more attention to it, if it was a stiffer tire, or whether I was just on a bumpier road. When you're hyper focused on something like this it seems you notice stuff that you normally wouldn't. The TMPS was showing 38.7 and it was 40 degrees air temp and the tire temp was 78. When I turned onto a different road I didn't notice the bumpies anymore so I'm voting it was the road. Also, later when I was backing up I noticed a lot of bumping coming from the front tire at walking pace. Yep, that's a Michelin Road 6 and it's got a serious cupping issue. Double dark coming soon.

Overall it is a nice smooth tire that doesn't get noticed. That's good, I don't want to be focused on tires when I'm riding. Cornering was consistent with the Pirelli which also has a rounded profile. It is a well behaved tire. I'll probably play with the air pressure a bit to see where the sweet spot is.

Well, halftime is about over, so back to watching Purdue.

Even with auto's load of +1000 lbs on single tyre, 40psi is HOT pressure rating for maximum load-carrying capacity. On moto with less than 1/2 of that load, most people have found 26-30psi cold works best.

Last edited:

View attachment 331994

NO WAY!

Then I see a pic of it mounted and

View attachment 331995

WAY!

Of course putting in a rim and filling it up changes things but I had no idea it would be that much. It's really a nice looking tire for what little that matters.

Tire pressure is arbitrary to the rider... I find 34-36 is ideal for my riding style... tried different pressures keep coming back to this number... ur going to have to try different pressures to see what ur comfortable with.

Tire pressure is arbitrary to the rider... I find 34-36...
I'm aware that tire pressure is arbitrary like – oil preferences f'rinstance. I run 42lbs in my tires.

That wasn't the point of my post. A tire not mounted and/or not inflated will tend to look wider than the same tire mounted and inflated arbitrariness notwithstanding. I made no mention of any specific air pressure.

Second report on this tire. I just got back from the Heart of Texas Rally putting on about 4500 miles over the last 5 days. The tire is great. Handles better than most car tires I have run and doesn't follow grooved pavement very much. Also did well on gravel, dirt, grass, and cow pies. Seriously, it was Texas. Recommend the tire fully now. Just need to see how long it will last.

Back
Top Bottom