Toosday Café.

Bike
VStrom 650
April 30th 2024.
Ay up me ducks the French Roast is ready, help ya'selves. Now, shut up!
The day has started dry enough and warm enough but nothing to get excited about, presently 52 with a moderate breeze at around 25 mph from the South.
Er'Indoors has been to Berwick-upon-the-Tweed for jumpy stuff and I've been on Lamb Hotpot duties. It's done and we can dine when the time arrives. Phew. Pffffffftttttt. Phew. Fresh French Roast has been made for er'lady.
I spent some garage time with The B yesterday, it felt good to get dirty, in an oily sort of way. The first job of the year is to stop the engine bars buzzing, it's a known issue with the Givi bars. The remedy I will first attempt involves insulation tape, MIRA shower hose washers, 3/4 inch tap washer, shrink wrap and a penny washer. Taking them on and off is a pain but needs must, the vibration occurs at around cruising speed.
Av a gud un and remember, clean the loctite out of the threads.
Upt.
20240429_144423.jpg

Good morning, and thanks for the coffee, Ray.

It's 51 and cloudy/foggy in MA this morning.
It'll rise to 61 and remain cloudy all day.
More rain showers tonight.

Instead of the gym or walk, I took the Wing out for a 4 hour ride. I took a number of back roads to my old working haunts in Windsor Locks, and then back to a little east of the Quabbin reservoir and back home. A little over 150 miles.
Afterward, I stopped off at my friend's restaurant, where he gave me a check for the work I did a few weeks ago, and we talked about another task that he had in mind.
I also got a notice that my mower deck belt was in at Lowe's, so I picked that up.
We did some shooting after Brenda arrived home from work, and then had dinner out.
Whew!

Today, I'll visit the gym, and maybe stop by the restaurant for a bit. Maybe a bit of grocery shopping.

Enjoy the day,
Steve

Morning all and thanks for the coffee Ray.

A duck making stewed lamb in some old mucca? Doesn't sound real appealing. Must be an English taste.

Weather here was a cool 3C for the ride in, but it was sunny. Somehow the Wing got stuck in Sport mode again. I suffered thru it. We'll see what happens after work. I also got the comms setup on the bike, which is a bit of a PITA, and not intuitive at all. Typical new vehicle manufacturer thing from what I've seen with all our new vehicles.

Hope everyone has an excellent day.

Obo.

Morning all and thanks for the coffee Ray.

A duck making stewed lamb in some old mucca? Doesn't sound real appealing. Must be an English taste.

Weather here was a cool 3C for the ride in, but it was sunny. Somehow the Wing got stuck in Sport mode again. I suffered thru it. We'll see what happens after work. I also got the comms setup on the bike, which is a bit of a PITA, and not intuitive at all. Typical new vehicle manufacturer thing from what I've seen with all our new vehicles.

Hope everyone has an excellent day.

Obo.
With the Hyundai App I was ready to throw the smart (?!?) phone and the car in Wooler water.
I didn't particularly want the app anyway but it constantly reminded you that life would be so better with it. It enables you to lock/unlock, check for service updates, fuel consumption and a million other things that haven't enriched my life at all.
Two hours of my life I'll never get back, and I need all of my hours. Pffffffftttttt.
Plus, you're invited to dinner, 1930 sharp. Come on the Wing.
1930? That's a good while ago.
Upt.

Good morning, all, and thank you kindly for the coffee, Ray. Save me some lamb hotpot for later, pleeeaaase. :biggrin:

It's a grey, cloudy, gloomy, wet morning on the island of Montreal (and on the big island next to it (Laval), and on Nuns' Island, and on all the other little islands that make up this lovely city and environs in the great St. Lawrence River) and the rain won't let up until tomorrow, by the look of things. It's a tad cool, as well. In fact, it's currently as warm as it's going to get today, at 7°C/45°F, but it feels a few degrees chillier. A pfffffttt kind of day if ever there was one. Oh, well. Mother Nature rules.

Right, gotta get those synapses firing. And I really have to stop smoking that stuff...the dishwasher is making breathing noises. And I swear it winked at me when I went to get a refill a few minutes ago. o_O Everyone have a good one, stay safe and go safely.

Patty

Patty, you have me thinking of Big Bambu and the halcyon smoke clouds at indoor Southern Rock concerts in my early teenage years. Due to the likely hearing damage I didn't recognize from such proclivities, I never did get to hear the sighs and mutterings of dishwashers, but I do hear the motor when it's started.

Thanks for the coffee Ray, and I trust you'll get your bars to settle down. I don't care for tingling hands going numb when I'm riding.

Obo can tell us about the wind protection on his new ride. Three degrees sounds cold, to me, but I'm cold at 30. That bike is top of the list that comes to mind, when I think of all-weather riders. So the verdict is...?

This morning we're starting off with steady rain, so again, as Kaiser has no raincoat that fits him properly, and I don't want his trailer carpet getting wet, we'll take the car once more. Clouds moving out later today, for a sunny afternoon in the upper 70s.

Gotta dash now, so I can finish up a required training course for work.

I will forego any proofreading this morning, so what you see is what you get. WYSIWYG anyone?

Found a quote for Ray and his Hyundai app, and for me I guess, when finding things in the handlebar-controlled menu settings on my BMW...

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
-- Henry Ford

With the Hyundai App I was ready to throw the smart (?!?) phone and the car in Wooler water.
I didn't particularly want the app anyway but it constantly reminded you that life would be so better with it. It enables you to lock/unlock, check for service updates, fuel consumption and a million other things that haven't enriched my life at all.
Two hours of my life I'll never get back, and I need all of my hours. Pffffffftttttt.
Plus, you're invited to dinner, 1930 sharp. Come on the Wing.
1930? That's a good while ago.
Upt.

I followed the official directions. Pair Wing with Cardo. Check. Plug in phone and allow to pair. Check. Carplay will open. Nope.
Says there's no headset connected, even though it shows the connected headset symbol on the dash and the Cardo says it's connected too.
After a couple of days of trying and cursing like I had Tourette's, obviously "le destructions are not right monsieur."
Turns out I had to setup the Wing on the GPS channel of the comms to get Wing audio into them, and then when I plugged in the phone ACP would start.

I even tried the "official" DIY how-to on one of the Wing sites. It's not complicated at all.... and this is the "simplified" version. :rofl1: :nuts:

Bluetooth Comms Options Simplified.png

Patty, you have me thinking of Big Bambu and the halcyon smoke clouds at indoor Southern Rock concerts in my early teenage years. Due to the likely hearing damage I didn't recognize from such proclivities, I never did get to hear the sighs and mutterings of dishwashers, but I do hear the motor when it's started.

Thanks for the coffee Ray, and I trust you'll get your bars to settle down. I don't care for tingling hands going numb when I'm riding.

Obo can tell us about the wind protection on his new ride. Three degrees sounds cold, to me, but I'm cold at 30. That bike is top of the list that comes to mind, when I think of all-weather riders. So the verdict is...?

This morning we're starting off with steady rain, so again, as Kaiser has no raincoat that fits him properly, and I don't want his trailer carpet getting wet, we'll take the car once more. Clouds moving out later today, for a sunny afternoon in the upper 70s.

Gotta dash now, so I can finish up a required training course for work.

I will forego any proofreading this morning, so what you see is what you get. WYSIWYG anyone?

Found a quote for Ray and his Hyundai app, and for me I guess, when finding things in the handlebar-controlled menu settings on my BMW...

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
-- Henry Ford
Yes, but did he ever encounter a smart phone, he wouldn't be so damn sure of himself then! Anyway, Henry who?

I followed the official directions. Pair Wing with Cardo. Check. Plug in phone and allow to pair. Check. Carplay will open. Nope.
Says there's no headset connected, even though it shows the connected headset symbol on the dash and the Cardo says it's connected too.
After a couple of days of trying and cursing like I had Tourette's, obviously "le destructions are not right monsieur."
Turns out I had to setup the Wing on the GPS channel of the comms to get Wing audio into them, and then when I plugged in the phone ACP would start.

I even tried the "official" DIY how-to on one of the Wing sites. It's not complicated at all.... and this is the "simplified" version. :rofl1: :nuts:

View attachment 333452
:doh1:

Yes, but did he ever encounter a smart phone, he wouldn't be so damn sure of himself then! Anyway, Henry who?
He painted lots of things in black, and in court one day defended himself to the prosecutor, "Young man, if I don't know how to do something, I hire someone smart enough to do it for me!" ... or words to that effect.
I don't recall at the moment what the trial was about, but it is irrelevant to your question.
Hope this helps, this Ford fella made gobs of money back in the day.
So he probably would have hired Steve Jobs.

It's OK. OEM heated grips and seat work good. OEM screen is OK but I like the OEM ST's better. The Wing's mirrors do a very good job at hand wind protection, and the lower fiarings are OK at your legs.

It's purposely designed to not be a bubble, which is why Honda sells the upper and lower wind deflectors. Stupid price for what they are if you ask me! The larger screen is something we'll consider, but unsure if it will be the larger OEM or aftermarket.

1714480205796.png

Mrs. Obo finds the rear position a bit cooler, but she sits higher than I do (and the screen doesn't go as high as the ST) and thus gets more wind.

I sit much lower in the stock Wing seat than I do on the ST stock or Corbin seat.

The stock Wing seat is also a bit short for me front to back and my back hits on the raised pillion section.

It's also a bit wider where the front of the seat and the "tank" meet so yo have to sit like you're saddle sore. (like from a horse, not like the coffee loving, quote quoting, dog loving, prolific poster.

@steve3b3 & @catcher can chime in with opinions too as they both have the 2018+ models and way more miles on them than my almost 500km.

Last edited:
good morning all. thanks Ray for the FR. 57F on the dog walk with a clear sky, stars and a bright moon. a carbon copy of the last few days. the to do list is clear so I'm on hold until wife gets up and adds her 2 cents. the high should see 93F. enjoy the day.

stay carful

Morning all! Grey and rainy with 6C, supposedly clearing this afternoon and 12C....we'll see.....

It's my wife's birthday today. Our daughter is taking her and my mother in law for pedicures and tea at the Empress hotel, one of the old CP Rail Grande Dames.

1714483290221.png

I'll pick them up after work and home for a nice dinner, presents and cake.

Hope everyone has a great day and gets things working to a tea!

Attachments

• 1714483290410.png
    1714483290410.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Good morning all!
Glad to see our elder caffeine chef is back on track!
Thanks for that start Ray!

@Obo
“Just go easy until you get some miles behind you!”

We’re headed east the 23rd of June, I may be in touch for a meet up if time permits!

Our cleanup continues, we now have the garage about half sorted! What to do with all the items sorted in the good pile! We have had two different pickers here already; one of them twice!
I have a very large load of scrap metal. (metal items
no longer useable)

Wet & rainy here this morning, currently 54F with a high of 70, later on when the rain gives up!

Enjoy your Tuesday!
WB

Morning Ray & All from a sunny, Southern Utah!

Currently it is 46F, heading for 71F. A very slight breeze right now, but later we'll see winds from the W @ 14 to 20mph.

I was able to get a little more done on the 2004, I've mounted the fork lights and got the wiring done on the horn and for the headlight modulator. I still need to hook up the fork light switch and wiring. Then I'll mount the INNOVV K3 camera and I'll be able to put the tupperware back on.

This morning, I'll go talk to the folks that I'll get our top soil & grass sod from so I can figure out how far in advance I'll need to order it.

Eggs, toast, bacon and OJ. Pepsi to come later.

Anyone :bk13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:

Back
Top Bottom