st1100 windscreen mounting tweak?

First I've seen this one. Looks to be a good choice.

My current shield is a Givi with a spoiler. It's perfect.
Most others have been useless without a spoiler. With the exception of an original Clearview, before they took the curve out of it. A current Clearview is no good until a spoiler goes on. I only use it in the winter. Don't like the width, as I like the wind on my arms.
6 ft. No risers.

My current shield is a Givi with a spoiler.
It's a motorcycle, not a Volvo Estate... height of screen must allow/guide air-flow onto the helmet to blow mist/droplets off the visor and keep the vents working.
Otherwise it will result in impaired vision due to named droplets, a heavily fogged up visor and all the irritations caused by both while riding... certainly not good.
Also aerodynamics and handling of the bike will be badly affected by a "barn door" as screen... passing a semi/coach in serious crosswinds will grow into a dangerous adventure... small, winding coastal or alpine roads on the cliffs with rocks funneling the storm and you're all over the place...

I had Suzuki burgman 650 years ago, but remember that part of frame was lond enough and windshield was mounted right on to it without any flexibility. Even if I have good plastic , without any cracks, metal strips or rods would make the same result as it was on burgman
That's a long time ago, are you like the Highlander/Kurgan?

@Alberto I'm sure this has all been covered before but..... I have two 1100s, a sidecar outfit fitted with the OEM Honda screen plus a Laminar Lip, the other, a solo, with the German MRA two piece (adjustable-ish) screen. Both work well with no turbulence, perhaps the MRA results in a slightly quieter ride (but it is marginal). The sidecar outfit has covered 160,000 miles (260,000kms) and has had no problems with mountings.

DSC_0086.JPGDSC_0149.JPG

What's really impressive is that you have roads where you can ride between 150 and 170 km/h. The traffic density in the UK makes this virtually impossible to do safely (notwithstanding speed limits!) and this applies equally to most European countries I have visited :cool:

To be honest, I'm not a fun of two-piece shields, and thinking about replacing my current 20' shield + lip (or flap) with 22' (if I find it). Or with Madstad. It looks litlle bit strange but not ugly.

between 150 and 170 km/h.

We have long distances here between cities. Sometimes it is boring to follow speed limits, even overspeeding is kind of illegal. But I think, we both should be jealous for German guys with their autobahns with no speed limits )

I fixed hooks on the plastic thingy under the windscreen. With screen mounted on, some slack gone and whole construction became more rigid now. But there is a flexibility left anyway. Wanted to attach short video , but site says file has wrond extension. Does that mean that we can attach YouTube links only?

@Alberto I'm sure this has all been covered before but..... I have two 1100s, a sidecar outfit fitted with the OEM Honda screen plus a Laminar Lip, the other, a solo, with the German MRA two piece (adjustable-ish) screen. Both work well with no turbulence, perhaps the MRA results in a slightly quieter ride (but it is marginal). The sidecar outfit has covered 160,000 miles (260,000kms) and has had no problems with mountings.

DSC_0086.JPGDSC_0149.JPG

What's really impressive is that you have roads where you can ride between 150 and 170 km/h. The traffic density in the UK makes this virtually impossible to do safely (notwithstanding speed limits!) and this applies equally to most European countries I have visited :cool:
I have the MRA too Mr.Flexit. I usually run with it on low and like you say they're a good screen at reducing turbulence. The only time I'm tempted to "Up it" is on long wet motorway journeys.
Upt'North.

DSC_0086.JPGDSC_0149.JPG

I have the OEM screen with the Laminar lip and works great for quiet and less turbulence.
That is one heck of a tank bag. You must be really tall. :biggrin:

Millions of miles by ST-1100 riders around the world, and I've not heard of anyone modifying the windshield mounts due to worrying about the "flex". Most of the windshields will flex MUCH farther before breaking than is possible to bend while under normal circumstances.

Also, did you consider that building a steel frame inside the cowl to support the windshield would be quite a dangerous item to encounter should you have a collision with something?
I too ran a oversized shield and the front plastic thingy kept popping out. So i installed a thread. I feel safer. 0D932B66-9FC7-493A-80CE-F8287C347A4D.jpeg

I too ran a oversized shield and the front plastic thingy kept popping out. So i installed a thread
+1. Not so much because of an oversize shield (it’s a Clearview) but because the plastic pin has to be replaced every time as it’s generally destroyed during removal, having done so many times to work on installing farkles under the garnish. I used a 5mm nut clip and shortened OEM truss screw. Fits perfectly. FWIW

John

+1. Not so much because of an oversize shield (it’s a Clearview) but because the plastic pin has to be replaced every time as it’s generally destroyed during removal, having done so many times to work on installing farkles under the garnish. I used a 5mm nut clip and shortened OEM truss screw. Fits perfectly. FWIW

John
Well, my thread works great! Its metal, can b undone without replacing it and someday, im gonna put a shiny cap on it. Farkle city!

is your screen adjustable?

French roast, right) thank you )

we have 24C today (75F) and sunny. Unfortunately, working from home today, no reasons to ride (
Yes that's in the lowest position and it swivels up on the top section once two little knobs are loosened.
You can also run without the top section if the mood and weather encourages such rash behaviour.
The adjustment is minimal but it does make a difference and means different height riders can find some still air. If the screen has a failing I think it may be a little narrow for really cold weather riding but I leave that nonsense to others.
Upt'North.

Back
Top Bottom