Source for 1100 timing belt?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Grittins. Can you guys suggest sources for the timing belt? I have found Honda, Gates, and Dayco belts on the 'Bay.

Is a $120 Honda belt better than a $70 Gates belt or a $50 Dayco belt? Which would you guys choose, and why?

Danke!

Grittins. Can you guys suggest sources for the timing belt? I have found Honda, Gates, and Dayco belts on the 'Bay.

Is a $120 Honda belt better than a $70 Gates belt or a $50 Dayco belt? Which would you guys choose, and why?

Danke!
Same stuff different day. The belt does not break by itself a idler bearing/water pump cause misalignment or bearing siezes then the belt breaks.

Same stuff different day. The belt does not break by itself a idler bearing/water pump cause misalignment or bearing siezes then the belt breaks.
Understood.It's a '96 with just over 100k miles. I will have the pulleys and pump inspected, too.

I just noticed something that I hadn't found before regarding the Honda vs. Gates question. My original belt from my '97 has Honda and "Unitta" printed on it. Apparently Unitta is the Asian arm of Gates. All these years people have been saying the Gates belt looks identical to the Honda belt, and this might just confirm that Gates was the OEM for the Honda belts anyway.

On my old 24 year old bike and 70 yo i would use the Gates as the belt would probably outlast me.

On my old 24 year old bike and 70 yo i would use the Gates as the belt would probably outlast me.
It’s a job I don’t ever foresee doing again on my STs, not because it was difficult, but because I’m just about 60 and feel that based on the lower mileage of my bikes (47 and 51K) and riding longevity (hopefully another 15-20 years), it’ll never be a necessity while I own them. I used Gates belts on both of mine.

Back
Top Bottom