Replacing the Michelins

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I was browsing through the tire posts trying to understand pros-cons on various brands, but it seems some posts are old. My bike came with Michelins and, while they still have some meat left, I would like to look for replacements. I looked at Metzelers as I have experience with them from my Nighthawk, and also Dunlop Roadsmarts. So, I'm looking for opinions for what others have on their bikes and experience as far as traction, cornering, perhaps dual-compound for straight line longevity and also good cornering grip, etc. Price is a consideration as well, I just looked at a set of Michelins that run in the 5-600 dollar range.

Ran the Dunlap Roadsmarts IIIs on mine before I traded the bike off. Better wear and traction than the Bridgestones that were on it before.

I ride ST1100s ABSIIs (the front tire is the same size as on the ST1300) and I usually go for Bridgestones.
They handle well, get as good a mileage as any, and they tend to be a little cheaper.
But I run a bias on the rear and a radial on the front.

But I run a bias on the rear and a radial on the front.

Do you have any reason for doing this or is it just size availability? I ask, because the tire shops basically say it is "instant death" to mix and match (my friend just went through this with a Goldwing). I am very aware I do not have the experience of many members on here, so I am curious if that is the best combination you have found or if there is another reason?

Thanks!
Ryan

While I know @Igofar has a strong dislike for Michelin tires, I've had good performance AND mileage from Road 5/6 as well as the Dunlop Roadsmarts on my ST1300.
Larry believes the Michelin is prone to get flats, and I did pick up a nail on a brand new 5 GT.
I think he cursed me with that one.

Do you have any reason for doing this or is it just size availability? I ask, because the tire shops basically say it is "instant death" to mix and match (my friend just went through this with a Goldwing). I am very aware I do not have the experience of many members on here, so I am curious if that is the best combination you have found or if there is another reason?

Thanks!
Ryan
Ryan -
Instant death? Maybe for the tire shops profit margin! :biggrin:
I don't know how many 100,000 miles I have done with this combination and I reckon I am still alive last time I checked. ;)
The reason I do it is I can only get 3,000-5,000 on a rear radial on my ST1100s.
It's probably a problem with the throttle but it's consistent on all 4 machines ...
I run a BT020 bias (correct size) designed for the BMW KLT1200 and I will get around 10,000 miles out of them.
This lets me ride to Alaska and back without a tire change.
I run the Bridgestone 'flavor' of the month radial (in the correct size) on the front (BT020, BT031, BT032 ...).
I've also ran a bias on the front and a radial on the rear, bias and bias and radial and radial.
I've mixed brands, etc. over the course of years.
As a general rule, radials handle better, bias get better mileage.
My 'theory' is most of the handling is in the front anyway and the rear just follows.
If I get to ride this year as I have in years past I will cross the 1/2 million mile mark on ST1100s.
And I've been using this combination for most of those miles.
The shops really have a stroke when someone wants to put a car tire on the back of a motorcycle! :eek:
The reality is if you were going to the race track it might make a little difference.
And I ride like an old man - just ask some of the folks that come to the BRG. ;)

Thank you for the reply Uncle Phil. Every bike shop around her claims it is "like riding on ice" (I can't imagine many know what that feels like in Texas) and some shops won't install them because of liability concerns. I don't know any better and I just put on a matched set of Michelins on mine, but my riding buddy took his Goldwing rear tire in to get a replacement and they were pretty insistent on knowing what was on the front before they would install a tire.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Thank you for the reply Uncle Phil. Every bike shop around her claims it is "like riding on ice" (I can't imagine many know what that feels like in Texas) and some shops won't install them because of liability concerns. I don't know any better and I just put on a matched set of Michelins on mine, but my riding buddy took his Goldwing rear tire in to get a replacement and they were pretty insistent on knowing what was on the front before they would install a tire.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Ryan - Well, if it's 'like riding on ice' I must be pretty good at it by now. ;)
That's so absurd - but I do understand the 'liability' angle as that's probably what tire manufacturers have told them.
It's a typical 'theory' position versus an 'experience' position - I'll stick with the experience! ;)
If you have ever looked at the siping on the front tire versus the rear tire they don't even 'match' on a 'matched' set.
The tires are round and black and hold air and if you don't tell the motorcycle, it doesn't know the difference! :biggrin:
They would really stroke if they knew I once had to run a rear of the 'incorrect' size because it was all I could get. :eek: ;)
The rear ST1100 calls for a 160/70 but I ran a 170/60 (the ST1300 size) on the rear and my hair did not catch on fire and I did not crash with a nuclear explosion - and that was on an ABSII ST1100 and the ABS worked just fine.

...Every bike shop around her claims it is "like riding on ice"...
Ryan, he's blowing smoke and either doesn't know what he's talking about, or is intentionally lying to you.

On my first tire change back in 2007, the dealership put a Pirelli on the rear and I think the bike had a Bridgestone in the front. The dealership did that, I didn't ask for it. And the bike didn't explode as I was going down the road.

At the last National Rally in Spearfish, I rode out to Mt. Rushmore with @The Dan. He's a double-darksider, if I remember right. He has a rear tire on the front and a car tire on the rear. I doubt you could keep up with him. He's fast. (He's also a great guy to ride with, if you get the chance.) If anyone's bike was going to explode from having improper tires on it, his would. Yet it hasn't.

It might be time to look into buying a Rabaconda tire changer. You can have your tires changed in about 45 minutes total. It's easy. And then you have total control.

FWIW, you'll find lots of opinions on tires. Almost as many as on the "proper" oil to use. There's a big difference between tires that were introduced 10-15 years ago, and those that are much more recent. You'll find a huge difference in price from the Dunlop IIIs at the less expensive end to the highest priced tires like the Michelins. But the actual difference in handling is probably not noticeable to most riders. I've tried almost all the different tires on my BMW F800GT. I settled on the Bridgestone T32s. Great handling and traction in the wet or dry. Comfortable. And I actually needed no weight on them to balance them. YMMV. If you watch, you'll see rebates for many of the tires, which will save you $$$.

Revzilla is not your cheapest source. I like Dennis Kirk, though there are others who are also cheaper than Revzilla. One advantage to buying from Cycle Gear, is they will mount and balance your tires for $25 each.

Chris

Battlax for me. If you ever changed one, you know that they have an extremely stiff side wall.

I have had several instances while riding at freeway speeds when I experienced sudden flats, on one or both tires (running over something in the dark, that was kicked up by a car in another lane, etc). One time I even had to get new rims because they were bent up so bad, (fortunately, they were covered under insurance). The Battlax enabled me to get out of the car pool lane, across four lanes of traffic to the shoulder in a safe manner.

D24-0398.jpg

I really like Bridgestone dual-compound tyres. Got 18k-miles out of set on my commuter. And that's with about 10 trackdays toss in too! :)

Hey Ryan, Like oil, it's mostly an opinion and experience. I have less of both compared to the above posters. When I went through the OEMs I had the dealer put another set on, the rear was gone in 5K(?) and had to get one out in WA. That dealer only had the Michelin R5 in a bigger size, in 20 minutes I could tell (feel) that this was the tire for me. A few thousand miles later and the front had to go, I got the match in CO (correct size) and wow it was a dream. The tires seemed to reach out and grab the tarmac, always inspired confidence and wore better than expected. In the end, round and rubber will work, if you don't like them, don't use them again.

I was browsing through the tire posts trying to understand pros-cons on various brands, but it seems some posts are old. My bike came with Michelins and, while they still have some meat left, I would like to look for replacements. I looked at Metzelers as I have experience with them from my Nighthawk, and also Dunlop Roadsmarts. So, I'm looking for opinions for what others have on their bikes and experience as far as traction, cornering, perhaps dual-compound for straight line longevity and also good cornering grip, etc. Price is a consideration as well, I just looked at a set of Michelins that run in the 5-600 dollar range.
Since you live close to the Canadian border it might be less to buy in Canada. I priced Michelin Road 6 GT for the ST at $570 Canadian dollars about $420 US dollars. I think you would have to ride up to Canada and put them on your bike and ride back. Revco.ca was the site I used there are plenty more on line tire dealers.

Back
Top Bottom