Premium Fuel Only (?)

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
I'm currently on a 1100 but am considering a 1300.
I read 92 octane or higher - is this right?
Are they Premium unleaded only?
Thanks!

The 1300 is designed to run at it's best on 91 or better octane but it does have knock sensors allowing it to run smoothly on 87 albeit with slightly less power.

I'm currently on a 1100 but am considering a 1300.
I read 92 octane or higher - is this right?
Are they Premium unleaded only?
Thanks!

Before you jump for a 1300, consider the other "issues" that you may face with it, as compared to your 1100.

Engine heat, poor readability of dash info in sunlight and certainly not as easy for many DIY jobs as the 1100. JMHO.

A lower-than-ideal-octane fuel will result in knock in carburetor-equipped engines that need more, and reduced power in fuel-injected engines with knock sensors.

A higher-than-needed-octane fuel will not produce any more power.

ST1100's are rated for regular, ST1300's are rated for premium. It's primarily based on the compression ratio.

Just adding little to the discussions here. I have run my ST1300 on low and mid octane gas several times while on road trips. 91 just isn't available in some boonie gas stations....time and circumstance will lead you there eventually. No obvious issues with power or smoothness.

A lower-than-ideal-octane fuel will result in knock in carburetor-equipped engines that need more, and reduced power in fuel-injected engines with knock sensors.

A higher-than-needed-octane fuel will not produce any more power.

ST1100's are rated for regular, ST1300's are rated for premium. It's primarily based on the compression ratio.

I use premium in my ST1100, I could be using regular all this time?

I use premium in my ST1100, I could be using regular all this time?
Yes. I found out that my '96 Nighthawk 750 runs just as well on regular after using premium for several years.

I do still prefer Amoco (BP) over other brands. After all, they've been making lead-free for almost 100 years.

ST1300 10.8:1 compression. FJR1300 10.8:1 compression. Honda manual says run premium gas. Yamaha manual says run regular gas. Supposedly Yamaha has more horsepower. Go figure.

Makes for a never ending discussion on what fuel to use.

ST1300 10.8:1 compression. FJR1300 10.8:1 compression. Honda manual says run premium gas. Yamaha manual says run regular gas. Supposedly Yamaha has more horsepower.
More goes in to the decision of what octane level fuel is required than engine compression. The ignition mapping on the FJR may use less advance under identical conditions, or it may retard the timing more than the ST does when the knock sensors detect something or both. It may run richer/leaner at the same amount of advance under otherwise identical conditions, etc., etc., etc.. In short- can't make a straight comparison based on compression rartios alone.

Back
Top Bottom