Poison Oak sucks!

It's something to pay attention to. Lyme disease (cause by ticks) is a real issue up this way. Have a friend who likely contracted it walking her dog in the woods regularly. Took quite a while for the doctors to figure it out, which unfortunately leads to cumulative issues.
Familiar with it. All kidding aside, it's no joke.

This story about tick borne diseases caught my eye on GMA this morning. The boundaries of tick season and geographical areas is beginning to blur.

Sorry to hear Mellow!!! Jim and I rode to the lower falls and then rode to the upper falls. Yes you had a long hike if you walked the whole way there from the park office!!! I think the stairs from the top of the falls to the bottom of the falls were 425 steps? The falls were beautiful though!!!

Sorry to hear it Joe. I know what poison ivy looks like, but oak not so much. I'd better school myself!

Sorry to hear it Joe. I know what poison ivy looks like, but oak not so much. I'd better school myself!
I actually have this pic on my phone... still not sure I could identify in person as some things look different in nature.

1714510981094.png

Reactions: Obo
If possible, washing the area with soap and water as soon as possible (probably within 30 minutes) can remove the poison ivy's urushiol oil that causes the allergic reaction.

If soap is not available, even very hot water or alcohol (we all carry that, right?) can remove some of it.

If possible, washing the area with soap and water as soon as possible (probably within 30 minutes) can remove the poison ivy's urushiol oil that causes the allergic reaction.

If soap is not available, even very hot water or alcohol (we all carry that, right?) can remove some of it.
Lol...I hiked a mile then rode the bike a couple hrs and back to the campground where I didn't shower til the next morning...baginga!

Old boy scout chant...

Leaves of three...leave it be.
Berries white... frightening site. Or something like that.....
T

Hey Joe,

Is there a chance Mom was getting even in any way....? ;). I'm sure there was something from your past.......:eek:

Bad Todd :spank1:. Bad........ No cookie for you.

Hey Joe,

Is there a chance Mom was getting even in any way....? ;). I'm sure there was something from your past.......:eek:

Bad Todd :spank1:. Bad........ No cookie for you.
I did forget to mention I had forgotten the ashes in the bike, so there may be something to that. I did go back a couple days later with Will and we rode to the upper parking lot, I had the ashes then.

Last edited:
I've had it once or twice. The last time was really severe. It was totally my fault as I was clearing some brush with my lawn mower and wore sweet pants and socks and sandals. I had it last for almost a month and had to get a z pack antibiotics and ointment from the doctors. Now today I am an expert. Anything that looks like a 3 leaf vine I stay away. Anything with a oak leaf i ain't getting near it.

Old boy scout chant...

Leaves of three...leave it be.
Berries white... frightening site. Or something like that.....
T
Never heard that before, however, now committed to memory.. you only make this mistake once lol

Poison oak usually has 'glossy' leaves compared to poison ivy.
But if you are allergic to it, you can get it from carrying dried firewood that had a vine growing on it at one time.
If you have the opportunity before it's too late, washing with lye soap will strip the poison right off - and a few other things along with it ... ;)

One other thing I learned that seems to work for me, is to run hot water over the itching area, as hot as you can stand. That seems to give me temporary relief from the itching, if I do that every hour or so. But that might not work so well if you have blistering, its been decades since I got it that bad, my more recent cases with Sumac have been milder.
Yes! hot water feels great and relieves the itching for a couple hours. As hot as you can stand it. Poison ivy sucks!!!

Poison Oak is all over where I live in California. When I was about 17 I was hospitalized with a severe case of it that I got from clearing and burning brush while building horse corrals. I got it in my eyes, ears and sinuses. I had intravenous cordisone that helped a lot. I rarely get it anymore though I sometimes get a small bit of it on my wrists after walking my dogs in the hills as they get it on their fur and when I pet them I'll get it occasionally. I wish I could remember the name of the lotion/salve I used for bad cases of it. It was made by a local guy who lived near where I live who used to supply the California Parks dept. Cal Fire and Forest Service with his homemade salve. It worked very well. I'll try and find out what it was.
My grandmother would have us take a cloth with some bleach soaked on it and rub on the rash. It burned like hell but dried it right out. May not have been good for you though.
The local natives in California and other parts of the world I am sure had built up total immunity to the effects of Poison Oak. As a child my mother used to give me a small drop of Poison Oak extract in a glass of juice thinking it would boost my immunity to it. This did not seem to work for me.

Last edited:
Ticks cannot fly or jump, only crawl. They hang around on plants and hitch a ride when a critter brushes the plant. Nasty little buggers.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom