Old Enough To Remember?

I remember crying when sodas went from a nickel to $.07. I think I was 6 or 7.
I remember when typewriters had a key for “cents”.
2 digit phone numbers after some nice lady asked, “Number, please.” Our number was 92.
Bulk motor oil for 20 cents a quart in glass jars with a metal funnel lid, in racks next to the pumps.
Drove a car that took $2 gas (8 gallons) and a quart of oil every two weeks.
Cokes were $1 for case of 24. Glass bottles in wood crate. You got 20 cent discount for buying case quantity.
Having a case of Cokes was a sign of wealth.

Yeah, I’m old. I think Dad got a ride on Noah’s boat.

John

Carrying 4 wallets with Deutschmark, belgian francs + luxemburgish francs, french franks and dutch guilders, and never having enough of one currency to pay for anything
My father being totally impressed that his fax machine could print Japanese (it was a Toshiba... ;))
My father's typists hitting hundreds of strokes within a second, then the digital typewriter needing several seconds to catch up before going to the next line...
dialing up via modem to a BBS
Watching The Sound of Music in reverse on a VCC

Having a TV repair guy come by a few times a year to change out vacuum tubes in your B & W set.
Police call boxes on street corners
Candy you'd buy by the piece (a penny for 3 or 4 each) and then put in a small paper bag.
Going out as a family to eat dinner in a restaurant was an extraordinary event, done once or twice a year, if at all.

Sling shots,bow &arrows,bb guns.Set free as 11 years olds with a .22 to shoot ground hogs, as long as you asked the farmer first.Be home when the street lights came on.Being able to buy .22 ammo at hardware store as a minor.
There were NO school buses in our small city(or industrial sized schools).

when interior rear view mirrors were on the dash and the outside right mirror was an option
I remember.....1960's local Honda dealership. All the showroom bikes had left side mirrors only. Right sides were in a box behind the counter, available on simple request by the new bike buyer. The manager claimed that many owners removed them anyway after the new bike was home. only the left was 'suggested' by local police dept.

...............Set free as 11 years olds with a .22 to shoot groundhogs, as long as you asked the farmer first. Being able to buy .22 ammo at hardware store as a minor.

.22 for 12th birthday
Having an old lady in a pickup stop on a deserted back road to offer a ride to 5 teenagers carrying .22's and a shotgun.

Oh boy.... Three channels on the black and white telly, Dad changing oil in the gutter. Lots of shortwave radio stations clustered round the 49m band. Watching a lot of WW2 vintage surplus vehicles, including a D-day DUKW. The Goon show and the Clitheroe kid on the wireless. Mick McManus in the ring. Then we moved to Germany. Playing in bombed out ruins, finding a box of potato masher grenades and having fun with them.
All good fun.

Sting Ray's and Scorcher 10sp bikes... mini bikes... Logan Earth Ski skateboards, Tracker trucks, and Road Rider 4's and 6's... Woolworth's... Montgomery Wards... Sears/JCP/MW catalogs and Christmas Wish/catalogs... Der Wienerschnitzel... Orange Julius w/ an egg...

IT/Technology...
Pong... Prodigy... BBS... 1200baud... Hayes commands... AT and XT PC's... Compaq... IBM 370... VM/DOS/MVS... Token Ring... Banyan... Novell...

Ethyl

Every guy at school had a gun in his car or pickup. No one ever got shot.

Duncan Imperials

45's (records)

Transistor Radios (Look at what that started!)

Sound barrier being broken regularly by fighters out of Reese AFB

Clamp on roller skates with steel wheels

4 track tapes

Car and truck starter buttons that were on the floor and you used your foot to operate I delivered milk with my dad flat head motors

Back
Top Bottom