New front pads

Bike
2013 ST1300A
So this weeks job is to replace the front pads. I made sure I ordered the correct (later) OEM pads for my 2013. My procedure on previous bikes has always been to remove the whole caliper but leave the brake lines attached. This helps me to make sure the pistons are properly cleaned before I push them back to make room for the new pads. My question is - does the addition of the SMC on this bike mean I have to change my method, or am I good to pull both calipers off the mountings? I guess I could leave the calipers in place but drop the wheel out to give me more room, but I would then be working upwards to get right round the pistons. My preference would be to remove them and invert them.

Thanks in advance for any advice - I promise not to ask whether to use DOT4 or brake cleaner to clean the pistons for fear of opening a whole can of worms :rofl1: (Edit: I use neither, hand-hot water with a little dish detergent and an old toothbrush for cleaning, followed by clean water rinse. Brake cleaner if changing seals. Works for me. But didn't want to detract from my question about the SMC)

All the best
Graham

Last edited:
Brake cleaner is just for metal parts... it will mess up seals so don't use it.... use actual brake fluid to clean the pistons and you can pull the calipers to get good access to the pistons w/shoelace or whatever you want to use soaked in brake fluid.

If the brake are working good as in no air in the system then it's fine to pull the calipers off and move them about. The most critical part on the ST1300 is make sure the small spring clips that retain or tension the pads in place are all down in the caliper bottom and ends correctly and the pads fit into the clips good.

Cleaning the pistons with a small rag or shoelace with DOT4 is fairly easy to do. It seems like you know how to change the pads. It is a simple easy job but stand by for more complicated and complex answers to your question.

Back
Top Bottom