Mesh Seat Covers...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Anyone tried these?

gonna try them on the ST1100 and the NT700...

Anyone tried these?

gonna try them on the ST1100 and the NT700...

Looks like a Sit'n Fly to me but better presented on the website.

FYI I had excellent results from a Sit'nFly and have tried them on two bikes. The trick was (is?) to get the correct size and actually install it on your seat.

Harry

These LOOK a lot like the sit n fly, as Harry said, but VERY similar if not identical to covers offered by Banggood and Aliexpress for much less. Some might require minor mods to mount well.

I bought one of those Airflow covers a few months ago for my GSX. First thing was, there was a lot of delay and excuses in getting it shipped, although they didn't have any problems in charging my credit card. After about a month, they finally shipped it. When I got it and tried it on the bike, it wouldn't fit due to the tight spacing between my seat and tank - seat just wouldn't latch no matter what I tried. I didn't want to butcher the cover to get it to fit.

So I contacted them for a return authorization and refund. They again jerked me around with multiple requests for pictures of the seat and how it (didn't) fit, etc. Each time, I would send them what was requested and then wait for another couple days for a response. After the third request for more pictures, I finally got fed up and told them I would dispute the charge with my CC company.

After no response from them for another couple days, I put in a dispute with the cc company. I didn't hear from Airflow for another week, then they sent me a return label, and I shipped the item back to them. The dispute is still in process, but I was given a temporary refund from the cc company.

The seat looked like it might do what it says in the advos, but the company's customer service sucks. And if you have a tight fit between your tank and the front of the seat, it might not work.

I found the bead rider - one of those wood bead seat covers - to ahhhhhh provide some welcome ventilation to that area and help cool the boys. Advantages were, comfortable ride, ventilation, and easy installation. Disadvantages are if you leave it on the seat for a month or longer (as I did) you end up with dimples all over the seat (that did eventually go away) and a dirt pattern that is a bit hard to clean off. It also raised me up a bit, which was not welcome (I'm short legged) but I preferred the comfort. The mfr says if you opt for the premium ceramic bead model, the black beads can absorb sunlight and become uncomfortably hot. I would hate to have that pattern branded on my nether regions. :rofl1:

I have three seat covers, all very different from each other: a sheepskin, a beaded thing, and an AirHawk (Roho).

If I'm going on a long trip (500 miles or more), I stuff all three into the saddlebag. I don't find one of them to be any better than the others, what matters to me is that I can get a change in what the seating surface feels like every few hours by just swapping out the cover.

Michael

First thing was, there was a lot of delay and excuses in getting it shipped, although they didn't have any problems in charging my credit card.
That sounds like new product start up pains. Or like so many vendors their product is manufactured overseas and they're waiting for another run.

Whatever the reason there should be an explanation as to what to expect. I remember seeing mailorder sellers saying "we won't charge until it ships..." until it became the norm. More and more I see sites charging first and shipping later. Ticks me off.

Air Flow has a very nice site with some state-of-the-art marketing spiel. It makes some sense that they'd want fitment info for possible future design considerations to improve the product because that's how a good company goes.

But that should be fully explained to the customer and if it doesn't help than a refund should be immediate. How a company handles an issue often says more about it than the product or service they sell. The seat cover seems like a great iteration but I'll wait for more favorable posts.

Installed one Air-Flow cover on my GF's NT700 seat... quite stiff, not easy to apply but fits after some stretching and pulling...
a bit tight around the tank (the cover is about 1cm thick) once seat is back on the bike but still fitting...
GF hasn't reported any negative impressions yet...

I found the bead rider - one of those wood bead seat covers - to ahhhhhh provide some welcome ventilation to that area and help cool the boys. Advantages were, comfortable ride, ventilation, and easy installation. Disadvantages are if you leave it on the seat for a month or longer (as I did) you end up with dimples all over the seat (that did eventually go away) and a dirt pattern that is a bit hard to clean off. It also raised me up a bit, which was not welcome (I'm short legged) but I preferred the comfort. The mfr says if you opt for the premium ceramic bead model, the black beads can absorb sunlight and become uncomfortably hot. I would hate to have that pattern branded on my nether regions. :rofl1:
I have a 96 1100. Could you send more info on the bead seat? Besides the air flow, id like a pinch more height on the seat.
Many thank yous!

Im not sure what you mean, but id guess the beads give a bit more height.
I think that he is asking if the link that he posted answers your question.
The blue text in his post # 11 above, which is the quote of your question, is a link to the Bead Rider website that he intended for you to click on.
Here it is- Bead Rider.

Im not sure what you mean, but id guess the beads give a bit more height.
I'm pretty short, 5'7" with a 29 inseam. I've never been able to flat foot my ST, and I'm very sensitive to seat height changes due to suspension (RT rebuilt my rear shock w/ a new spring), Spencer's mod to my seat, etc. I noticed that the bead rider lifted me up a bit off the seat - on cool mornings I could feel the additional cooling down there. The beads obviously sink into the soft seat and less into your butt*, with an overall lift of maybe 1/2 the diameter of the beads?

Thank you, Andrew (@Andrew Shadow). You nailed it.

*pants plus 'Stitch probably limit how much it presses into my skin

Ok, here’s some pics of the Air-Flow Seat Cover on my ST seat (I was using the RDL seat for my recent trip on the 2000, but now I’m using the Saddlemen seat (the air flow cover is size XXL Curved, which I assume applies to the OEM seat). I was able to get it to fit reasonably well on the Saddlemen seat but it makes clicking the seat back a slight bit more challenging, but I accomplished it.

Installing it wasn’t too difficult, just carefully stretching the material around the seat and trying to fit it properly was a trial and error period, but once it’s fitted, it seems to conform to the seat better. It uses a larger elastic strap to slide on the seat and then a couple of Velcro straps to finish fitting it to the seat.

So, how is it? Pretty good actually…with the seat alone (and this applies to the RDL seat as well, but you can go further in the RDL seat since you’re not sitting on your sacrum and more on the hips), no ’spacer’ between your jeans and the seat, swamp rump pretty quick (maybe in 40 or so minutes (we’re talking summer in the south)…by the way, humidity in upper 90s % and Temp when I left this AM about 74 up to about 85 when I got home). Bead Rider worked reasonably well and lessened the swamp rump a bit, so that I could do maybe 100 miles on the Saddlemen seat/Bead Rider combo then I had to get off for a bit. This Air-Flow cover does a better job than the bead rider, such that I really didn’t get the swamp rump at all, and it extended my seat time before I felt I had to get off the bike to ‘air out’ a bit. Bead Rider is nice in that you can slide on the beads to change position for comfort. Usually, I find myself standing on the pegs to air out the backside, but this am, I didn’t need to at all. As for the advertised ‘air conditioning for your butt’, that’s largely hyperbole, although when I did stop for a break and again took off, I did feel some air movement under the bum, so that was refreshing, I guess.

Regular saddle: heats up in the sun, butt fatigue more easily, swamp butt as previously mentioned.
Bead Rider on seat: slideability if that’s a thing, some air movement, but gets hot in the sun (black beads directly on the seat gets pretty hot and quickly)- I mention these because I bought them a couple of years ago and it’s good to compare them to the Air-Flow cover (in fact, then I used the Bead Rider, I left it on all year round)
Air-Flow cover: better air movement, more seat time while using it and it does make for a more comfortable seat. Does NOT get hot in the sun, which is very nice.

RDL, well that’s the king of seats…I’m not selling that one, but it still will get used from time to time.

Price-wise they run about $75 each (I bought 2 of them as I have 2 Saddlemen seats) with free shipping. Probably a little pricey for what you get, and some online have commented they could get pretty much the same thing on eBay for less. I feel, for me, it was $$$ well spent vs getting another seat. I’ll keep all my stuff (Bead Riders and the RDL) maybe just use them all at different times of the year, with the Air-Flow cover for summer duty primarily.

Last note…the Air-Flow covers took about 2 weeks to get them in the mail. I did email them to find out what was going on and then received them a few days later. If you decide to get one, be sure to get the extra 10% off coupon mailed to your email address…it saved me $15 off the 2 covers.

Last edited:
I don't find one of them to be any better than the others, what matters to me is that I can get a change in what the seating surface feels like every few hours by just swapping out the cover.
Michael
This is the answer IMO. I bought a sheepskin pad after my nine day trip because while I like the tractor shape of the Corbin, it was too much time on the same surface. Now I have two surfaces to switch between on longer trips.

This looks identical to the Sit and Fly 3D mesh seatcovers available on Ebay. I have been using one now for a couple of years with great results. Cheap too at about 20 bucks.

Ok, here’s some pics of the Air-Flow Seat Cover on my ST seat (I was using the RDL seat for my recent trip on the 2000, but now I’m using the Saddlemen seat (the air flow cover is size XXL Curved, which I assume applies to the OEM seat). I was able to get it to fit reasonably well on the Saddlemen seat...
I just tried it on my ST1100 with the OEM seat but no avail...
There just aren't enough gaps between pan, frame and tank to get the straps in, nor between seat and false tank or side covers...
It's just made too well & precise... :cool:

But it fits nicely on the seat of my GF's NT700:

IMG_20210821_135017.jpg

Which was the original intention over the concave seat shape leaving her sitting in a pool of water while riding in the rain...
On the ST such isn't an issue over it's convex formed seat...

^^Thats interesting. I had to stretch the cover a little to get it to fit and the only issue I had was locking in the back of the seat (when I need to remove the seat, I push down on the back and then turn the key in the lock). Since it’s been on and I’ve used the bikes a few times since the cover installation, they seem to work well.

Back
Top Bottom