Got My First ST1100 - Hips Are Killing Me!

Hi Guys,

Well, this is my first forum post, and it's not great news.

Just got a '99 ST1100 yesterday, didn't have the opportunity for a decent test ride (first mistake), but having spent a fair bit of time researching these bikes, it looked like a good option for a 6'2" 54 year old with a 34" inside leg (approx)

Went out on a short ride today, and boy was I in trouble. A long history of very tight hips made this 15 min ride really uncomfortable, plus cause me issues when coming to a stop (which I luckily did not have to do often)

I can work on the hips, just riding the bike will help, but my main concern, as I saw on another thread in this forum, is actually not being able to quickly and easily get my feet off the pegs and down onto the ground.

It seems like the lack of hip flexion is causing my feet to press into the pegs rather than sitting lightly on them as they should I think.

So this is an issue for sure. I have read about lowing the pegs with Goldwing pegs etc, but the seat that is on the bike seems pretty low, not a standard one I don't think? No markings or labels to tell me the make.

Any thoughts on a better seat for me? Or other simple mods? I will work through this, the body will adapt over time, but I need to be safe now for sure.

Appreciate any ideas, low cost preferred as I don't have the funds to buy a brand new custom seat. Image of bike with seat is attached.

IMG_20220902_134847.jpg

Many thanks

That's a nice seat but, it is indeed lower than stock. Not that you want the STock seat, they are uncomfortable with distance.
If you were in the US I would suggest a Russel Day Long. I have one and wish it was even higher (6'4" 34 inseam)
Perhaps you could have that seat Modified for a lot more height.

Welcome to the Forum!

I don''t have trouble with a standard seat - if I have the right pants on! :rolleyes: I often thought of a lowered seat, but after 23 years, I can't be bothered!

That's a nice seat but, it is indeed lower than stock. Not that you want the STock seat, they are uncomfortable with distance.
If you were in the US I would suggest a Russel Day Long. I have one and wish it was even higher (6'4" 34 inseam)
Perhaps you could have that seat Modified for a lot more height.

Welcome to the Forum!
Thanks for the info. I might look at whether I could add foam padding and then re-attach the seat covering, at least if I did it myself I could experiment.

I don't think I am going to be in the 'hundreds of miles a day' riding category, so a standard seat may work for me, and relatively cheap on eBay.

Will mull it over

That's an aftermarket seat and I too, at 6 feet, find it impossible to get comfortable in most of them. With their high backs and their forward inclines, it forces your crotch to be positioned forward directly into the crevasse next to the tank cover. I can't sit in them for more than a few minutes. In comparison, I find the stock seat (photo attached) exceedingly comfortable because it has a very low back and a shallow forward incline making it easy to find a comfortable leg position. Every summer I do many all day rides and the seat feels as good in the morning as it does at night. I would suggest trying to borrow a stock seat and giving it a try. If you like it, I would think finding one used wouldn't be too difficult.

Attachments

• 20190920_120829.jpg
    20190920_120829.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 35
Jasper, that seat is much lower and farther forward than stock, and is made for a shorter rider. You want another seat.

I'm 6'3" and leggy, and with hip and knee issues. I bought a Russel Daylong, bought used, but much better than stock.

You can see how thick the seat is here, as well as how much farther back I can sit, and how tall my handlebars are now.

This is the first seat that does not shove my knees into the fairing. In fact, I now have a couple of inches of knee room.

IMG_0449.JPG

Last edited:
Jasper, that seat is much lower and farther forward than stock, and is made for a shorter rider. You want another seat.

I'm 6'3" and leggy, and with hip and knee issues. I bought a Russel Daylong, bought used, but much better than stock.

You can see how thick the seat is here, as well as how much farther back I can sit, and how tall my handlebars are now.

This is the first seat that does not shove my knees into the fairing. In fact, I now have a couple of inches of knee room.

IMG_0449.JPG
Hey there. Just been out on it again, managed 5 mins each way and had to come home.

Both you and D_W_L have hit the nail on the head. I just said to my wife that the seat pushes me forward when I want to sit back. And yes, knees pressing against fairing as mentioned.

I think I will buy a cheapish stock seat on eBay for now, should be able to sell the current one for at least what a stock one costs me.

Phew, I thought I was just a wreck, but now it seems like that definitely is the wrong seat for me. Thanks all for your incredible help.

Welcome, Jasper.
Nothing to contribute to your seat issue beyond existing comments, as I ride the 1300.
Can't say I've ever swung a leg over an ST1100, but I helped push one around on a goat trail in North Carolina about a year ago...
Fun times.
No, really! :biggrin:

BTW, if anyone in the UK has a standard seat lying around, I'm happy to buy it and arrange courier collection. It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened, or so I am led to believe!

I really love the bike's color. That looks like a Corbin seat, by the way, popular despite the relatively hard padding.

The reach to the stock bars will be hell, but you might try sitting on the front of the upper seat at times for now.

Don't forget to adjust the shifter and rear brake pedals to suit the angle your leg length causes your feet to be.

6'2" 32 inch inseam here - Russell Daylong. Just be aware that if you chose to buy a used one and it was not made for someone of your dimensions and weight, it may not be comfortable.
Phil,

For all the times I've read that, I've never heard anyone actually complain about used RDL experience. :biggrin:. Three used ones for different bikes here and the only complaint I have is with the added height which shouldn't be a problem here. :rofl1:

Tom

Phil,

For all the times I've read that, I've never heard anyone actually complain about used RDL experience. :biggrin:. Three used ones for different bikes here and the only complaint I have is with the added height which shouldn't be a problem here. :rofl1:

Tom
I think the main issue for me is that I'm in the UK and probably gonna be hard to source a used one of those.

The only alternative I can see to swapping out to a stock seat is to try to change the height and profile of the one I have by adding foam. Only thing is, I may screw it up :)

But, looking at it, raising the height of the front seat and removing that forward tilt could work. I have try a stock one first before going down that line.

Cheers for the input

Back
Top Bottom