Can you tell whether this timing belt is new or used?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Many of you have said that removed timing belts look like new. I just bought this one, packaging open.

Can you tell whether this belt has been used, or has just been handled a lot? The printing and the brown.

I posted the pics large on purpose for greater detail. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

IMG_2585[1].JPG

IMG_2586[1].JPG

IMG_2584[1].JPG

IMG_2587[1].JPG

Cannot tell from your pictures, Larry. How about looking at the 'teeth' with a magnifying glass - looking for any scuffing or evidence of wear. The timing belt is exposed to oil when installed in an ST, is it not? Any signs of oil on the belt?

Hi Larry, my Vote would be handled rough, the edges of the teeth look damaged . I got my new belt from Rockauto.com ,best price from a trusted source.

How about looking at the 'teeth' with a magnifying glass - looking for any scuffing or evidence of wear.
This is not a part that is intended to have a fine tolerance finish like a machined part. Looking at it under magnification will drive you crazy because it will make you think that every part of it is defective. With some things there can be to close of a look.
The timing belt is exposed to oil when installed in an ST, is it not?
Only if something went terribly wrong.

Flip around and bend over your finger...
If you see any hint of cracking between the tooting dis-chart...
Same if carcass fibers start to come out the side edges...

The belt I removed from our 1991 looked better than this one. So.....
Just a word of caution.......
Locally, folk are buying replacement parts, removing what they really need, and returning the remainder for a refund. Clerks typically just spot check. I've taken to inspecting my purchase at the counter before leaving the shop. There are shady bike owners as well. Just be cautious.

FYI Here is a chart used in industrial belt maintenance for fast cycling equipment, replacement required for level D or E or 18,000 hours operation (but rarely done that soon)

Attachments

• img20240514_09035629.pdf
    466 KB · Views: 5
Could be a chinse counterfeit belt. Bought one off eBay for my Honda Pilot. It lasted 4000 miles before it self destructed.

not sure if the pictures are exaggerating things, but if I had to guess one way or the other that looks more like a used belt than a new one.

The things I see are the smear in the Gates logo, and the light rectangle sections on the back of the belt that align perfectly with the teeth on the other side. I can't imagine how a new belt would exhibit either of those things.

Hi Larry, yeah that doesn't look like a good quality belt to me. Installed a New belt in my St last year and it did not have tiny holes in the teeth as in your picture.

For what it costs why take a chance? Save the hassle and do it once.

Part of the maintenance and PM process is the pleasure in working on the bike and also the knowledge that you've done it right. Why take a chance on a critical part like a timing belt, in particular for an interference engine.

Back
Top Bottom