Assorted Screws

Mine usually drop into that black hole located on the bike never to be seen again ... :eek:
The question I wish someone could answer is -
"How can you drop the only screw/bolt/etc. that you have for a particular task on the floor and it bounces/rolls 15 feet away into a crevice you cannot see or reach into?" ;)

Mine usually drop into that black hole located on the bike never to be seen again ... :eek:
LOL! :biggrin:
Side cover bolts/clips land on the fuel pump flange-plate...
Fairing bolts go in the fuel filler tray...
Anything from axles, brakes, forks right aside on the bike-lift checker-plate...

I did buy a set from eBay, just because mine was missing so many screws. It was around $30-$40, I haven't tried them yet. But they certainly are not Honda quality. So I would say go OEM if possible, or on the cheap like me if you're maybe missing several bolts/screws. This kit also has many of the panel clips that I'm missing too.IMG_20220623_205543.jpg

That is exactly the type of kit I am looking for. !!!

Over the years, I have bought several bolt/screws/nuts/etc., sets from the dis-semblers that they take off the :bl13: (and other colors) they are parting out.

So, I always have that extra, when I need it. :thumb:

Yeah, when disassembling the body parts (affectuously called "tupperware") we end up with a nice assortmemt of screws.

I took the habit of keeping them separated, in a few ziploc sandwich bags, each one having a piece of masking tape on it, with the name of the said part. Yep, they each have a name.

So, I only have 3 or 4 bolts by sandwich bag, and that's OK. It really simplifies the task of remembering what goes where for reassembly.

The Honda service manual can also be of some helps, when in doubt, to identify what goes where.

Once you have disassemble / reassemble them a few times, you start to know by earth where they go. But I still use Ziploc, and a magnetic tray, to avoid loosing them.

If you have lost them all.... Geee... you now have to order them one by one. So, it might worth it to have a double check inside the shop vac.
I attempted to organize the screws/bolt buy buying a tacklebox, but was overwhelmed by the 90°F temp and heat exhaustion. I think your idea has more merit in that I could have written where those bolts came from...

footnote: I just purchased a assortment of screws/bolts from a vendor on eBay. ;)

Last edited:
As I said, ask me the location and I can tell you fastener that goes there.
If not, I'll walk out to one of my ST1100s and check! :biggrin:
Thx for the offer. Does anyone know/has a source/reference that has a list/placement of screws/bolts on the body panel? My Honda service manual is vague and confusing regarding the screw/bolt layout.

The question I wish someone could answer is -
"How can you drop the only screw/bolt/etc. that you have for a particular task on the floor and it bounces/rolls 15 feet away into a crevice you cannot see or reach into?" ;)
gwemlyns (Gremlins). :crackup:

I did buy a set from eBay, just because mine was missing so many screws. It was around $30-$40, I haven't tried them yet. But they certainly are not Honda quality. So I would say go OEM if possible, or on the cheap like me if you're maybe missing several bolts/screws. This kit also has many of the panel clips that I'm missing too.IMG_20220623_205543.jpg
Is there any way you can share/send a copy of that screw/bolt layout?

I don't know if the ad is correct, but it says the material is aluminum and that would make me nervous .... :eek:

Features:
This is a replacement spire/speed clip and bolt kit,as used to secure fairings,bodywork,bumpers or just about any panel to another.
Bolts have been made from high quality aluminium that resists corrosion,is very strong and has a shine that will last.
Bolt Motorcycle hardware meets or exceeds OEM specs.
Easy to install without instructions
Fit for most sports motorcycles ,
for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia, Ducati, Triumph, MV Agusta...

specification:
Type: Motorcycle Fairing Bolts Kit Fastener Clips Screw
Color:black, blue, gold, green, red, silver
Material: Aluminium
Package Size:14.3x10x3cm/5.62x3.93x1.18 in
Quantity:1Set

There are a few "grab bags" of misc. removed screws/hardware from ST1300s on eBay, but I'm not sure if the 1100 shares the same fastener types.

Josh
To my knowledge they do not share many of the same fasteners.
As I noted if the OP has the original ones it's not a big deal to figure out what goes where.
The gray fairing pockets use 5 mm pan heads and a short self-taping screw on each side.
The false gas tank cover takes two hex heads and bushings at the lower back end, two smaller chrome socket heads up front under the handlebars.
The side inspection covers take 2 smaller chrome socket heads on each side at the back.
Upper and lower fairings are little more complicated.
Windshield takes 5 5mm pan heads.
Long side panels originally come with a large chrome head 'Phillips' (actually JIS I guess) on each side in the center and a push screw at the upper top - which most folks do not put in.
Unless he has lost the 'slide nuts' off the bodywork it is pretty easy to figure out.
Thx for the short list of the bolt layout for the body panels. I saved your list for a quick reference.

I don't know if the ad is correct, but it says the material is aluminum and that would make me nervous .... :eek:

Features:
This is a replacement spire/speed clip and bolt kit,as used to secure fairings,bodywork,bumpers or just about any panel to another.
Bolts have been made from high quality aluminium that resists corrosion,is very strong and has a shine that will last.
Bolt Motorcycle hardware meets or exceeds OEM specs.
Easy to install without instructions
Fit for most sports motorcycles ,
for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia, Ducati, Triumph, MV Agusta...

specification:
Type: Motorcycle Fairing Bolts Kit Fastener Clips Screw
Color:black, blue, gold, green, red, silver
Material: Aluminium
Package Size:14.3x10x3cm/5.62x3.93x1.18 in
Quantity:1Set
I don't see much of an issue as far as metal reaction is concerned, but as far as strength is concerned, I don't see an issue as well because the screws are just to hold the tupperware in place. Please enlighten me if there are other factors I should consider? :confused1:

I don't see much of an issue as far as metal reaction is concerned, but as far as strength is concerned, I don't see an issue as well because the screws are just to hold the tupperware in place. Please enlighten me if there are other factors I should consider? :confused1:
There may not be, but I have never had much success with aluminum screws as to strength and if the are installed/deinstalled several times.
Some of these screws will be going into steel 'nuts' welded into the frame (top of gas shelter, big ones on the side panels, some of the fairing pocket screws, etc. )
Hopefully these will not be made out of 'cheese' like so many I have seen.

There may not be, but I have never had much success with aluminum screws as to strength and if the are installed/deinstalled several times.
Some of these screws will be going into steel 'nuts' welded into the frame (top of gas shelter, big ones on the side panels, some of the fairing pocket screws, etc. )
Hopefully these will not be made out of 'cheese' like so many I have seen.
Thx for the heads up. I made sure i sourced the parts from a US distributor, but that is not to say who the distributor's sources are.

Back
Top Bottom