Another BMW R1200RT testride report

I had been very close to buying a new 1200 GT a few months ago, but as nice as it was, I ultimately was put off by a couple of issues, and didn't feel it was worth losing the ST over.

Last week I rode an R1200RT, and came away very impressed.

The dealer went over the functions of the RT, and started the bike up. I immediately knew I was on a twin, as the bike vibrated noticeably at idle. I was admittedly a little put off by this, and that's coming from a guy that really likes a nice twin.

As I crept away, the vibes disappeared , and the bike was impressively smooth. Not ST smooth, but very nice. You can feel the boxer pulse under heavy throttle load, but I actually like that tactile feel that I get from a twin. Much different than a harmonic buzz from an I4, which I find annoying.

The RT really shines in the areas of being nimble and transitioning in tight turns. Low speed manuevering is noticeably easier, and the RT is easier to ride faster in the corners than the ST. I have to say it was a blast in the corners. Great ground clearance, very flickable, and the boxer just pours on the torque on exit. Fun stuff!

Ergonomically, I'd have to give the advantage to the RT despite the stock seat. Noticeably more upright, and more legroom, both of which felt nice even on my relatively short ride. Wind protection was better also, but I have no complaint with the ST's.

I hit the highway and ran it up to about 85-90 for a sustained period. Very smooth, and very stable in spite of a bad cross-wind that day. On the highway I used the cruise and dialed up the heated seat and grips. All of which worked very nicely, and made me wonder why Honda has not even brought these to the ST as optional equipment.

Overall, I really liked the RT. It offers a real nice balance of character, pracicality, comfort and perfromance. I really enjoyed how it can munch up the miles in total comfort, yet still be light enough to be serious fun in the corners. A good "have your cake and eat it too" machine.

Good incentives on an 06 if you can find one. I think I am smitten on the RT.

Yep! I have been leaning that way myself.

If I can get the right deal I'll make the leap but so far the cost of the bike just keeps me at arms length.

Aside from the pesky anti-freeze leaks I have no issues with the ST and have no hesitations about embarking on a cross country trip with minimal planning, I have that much confidence in it.

If Honda were to add heated grips,a great seat and tweek the wind protection they would have a real hit to be sure.

Oh! and bring the paint up to the quality of the Beemer, my paint is soft and is heavily pitted.

Judge, do you have experience with the 1150 boxer vs the 1200 boxer? I test rode an R1150RT and was so underwhelmed by the motor that I kept riding my PC800 a couple more years. The buzziness and the torque steer sucked. I don't get the appeal of that motor. I haven't ridden a 1200 but I've sat on a couple and like the gauges and except for the tall seat I like the basic ergos.

After riding an ST for four years, I doubt I could be happy with a big opposed twin. I addressed the heated grips, seat comfort and windshield issues for about $500 total. With DualStar heated grips you could do it for even less.

To each his own, ride what you like. :)

Judge, do you have experience with the 1150 boxer vs the 1200 boxer? I test rode an R1150RT and was so underwhelmed by the motor that I kept riding my PC800 a couple more years. The buzziness and the torque steer sucked. I don't get the appeal of that motor. I haven't ridden a 1200 but I've sat on a couple and like the gauges and except for the tall seat I like the basic ergos.

After riding an ST for four years, I doubt I could be happy with a big opposed twin. I addressed the heated grips, seat comfort and windshield issues for about $500 total. With DualStar heated grips you could do it for even less.

To each his own, ride what you like. :)

I have ridden the 1150 GS. Big difference in the 1150 and 1200's. The only torque disturbance I noticed on either bike was at a stop while blipping the throttle.

I wouldn't call either engine "buzzy". I would reserve that term for my old Concours. The boxer, like other twins, feels like a twin. I think you're either a fan of that, or your not. I do admit I like the souls of a nice twin, be it the boxer, 90 degree V-twin.

I'd challenge anyone to ride the RT and say there is intrusive vibration though. Very smooth machine, and good power.

My comments aren't to discourage the ST1300 at all. Great bike and I don't regret owning it. I just think my tastes are a little more orientated towards the lighter and more nimble RT.

Yep! I have been leaning that way myself.

If I can get the right deal I'll make the leap but so far the cost of the bike just keeps me at arms length.

Aside from the pesky anti-freeze leaks I have no issues with the ST and have no hesitations about embarking on a cross country trip with minimal planning, I have that much confidence in it.

If Honda were to add heated grips,a great seat and tweek the wind protection they would have a real hit to be sure.

Oh! and bring the paint up to the quality of the Beemer, my paint is soft and is heavily pitted.

Price is an issue. With BMW incentives, my price is at about $16k even on an ''06. A new ST with all the farkles the RT has isn't very far off from that.

I have to say that I really like the Honda heated grips... they really helped on that long ride through Nor-Cal at night on the way back from Oregon. I never had to crank them up to more than 2 bars, even with Tourmaster Winter gloves I felt toasty. I tried it up to 3 bars and it was just too hot.... :)

<D>

<D>

Back
Top Bottom