Vent or no vent

Time to replace my windshield.
I have settled on either the Calsco or the clearview.
Cant decide wether to go vented or not.
Anybody have experience with both?

Thanks! I was wonderig the same! There are three things i dislike about my 1100. Handlebars too cafeish, loud pipes and short windshield.
I was just sitting here thinking about it and realized they are all just adjustments. The bike is wonderful!

I can see what the adjustable center vent would do, but what kind of difference would the side prv vents make? edit: see below now for the answer.

1587042344454.png1587042296781.png

Last edited:
That my big question as well
I won’t do the adjustable as I don’t like the look on the ST
ur the PVR are what I was really curious about

That my big question as well
I won’t do the adjustable as I don’t like the look on the ST
ur the PVR are what I was really curious about

Clearview Shields Vent Options
Allowing air into the riding pocket can not only smooth out the airflow around a rider, but it can substantially reduce the low rumble caused by the air abruptly trying to fill in behind the screen. We offer 3 different types of windshield Venting options that can be used on many different models. Please check with us if your desired Vent option is not listed for your motorcycle.
Adjustable Vent
The most popular vent Clearview Shields offers is the 5 position adjustable vent. This can be placed low enough on the screen to be comfortably out of your field of vision while being high enough to effect the airflow around your head and upper body. The vent can be closed when conditions become adverse or too cold and, depending on headwinds, side winds can be aimed at different levels to fine tune the riding pocket for maximum comfort. When in the closed position it will re-direct air up the back side of the screen helping to balance the pressure directly behind the back side.
PRV(Pressure Relief Vents)
PRV’s are aero dynamically designed holes placed strategically on the screen to allow air flow inside the pocket . First found on the stock 1994 and newer Honda ST1100, they have been used by Clearview Shields successfully on many different models to smooth out the riding pocket. They are always open and can be lined with the Hondaline PRV trim for a finished look and to keep surface moisture from blowing through the hole.
1587059610095.png
Headlight Vent
Clearview Shields normally creates their Cruiser replacements to match the appearance of the rider’s stock replacement with a tight cut around the light but increasing that gap around the opening can help to decrease the updraft that creates turbulent air from below (fig 1). This option can be created upon request. Please contact customer service for model application.
Any Vent option to be considered will help with the comfort of your ride, keeping you on the motorcycle longer.

So, im 5’8” tall( 8’5” when im mad!) and wonder what size clearview to get. One of the things i miss on the beemer is the large adjustable shield. Im expecting to install risers and become more touring erect, understand im without the power shield, and want to see over it and get all of the protection i can get. The stock shield is way too little protection and the forward handlebar position isnt comfortable to me. I do like the goldwing vent as well.
Ill tell you. This bike much nicer than the beemer and cant wait to get it fitted!

I have a vented Cee Bailey but it doesn't look like they are making then any longer. The vent reduced the air pressure on my back when riding solo.

I have a Calsci large - I'm 5'7" and I like to look through the windscreen above 55 mph. It has the standard vents. I have found that when its raining, water beads up on the edge of the vent and then blows inward and up under my modular helmets visor, which I keep open at the first notch (Schuberth C3). That drop splats uncomfortably close to my eyes. I got the same shield for my V Strom without the vents and I have noticed no difference in buffeting - but absent the vents, also no big drops splatting under the visor. The lack of buffeting might be due to air coming in below the bottom edge of the windshield - which is spaced a couple of inches away from the front cowl or my height (shortish). Hope this helps - but it will probably confuse the issue since conventional wisdom says the vents push turbulence up and over the rider.

My ST is mostly a cold/mild weather bike. So I don't really want to spend the extra $$ on a 5 position vent.

Will I regret just getting the PRV?

My ST1300 has an electrically adjustable windscreen, so I use it depending on conditions. Lower when it's hot, higher when it's not.
I may add a wind deflector on top - maybe - but honestly don't see the need; I have a perfect, still and quiet cockpit with it all the way up. Don't often have it all the way up unless it's raining, as I'd rather look just over it, rather than through it.

I think the vent is overrated. Read my post # 9 above. Air will flow in under the lower edge of the windshield, especially if there is a low pressure area behind the windshield (this low pressure area is present any time the bike is moving (unless you have a tailwind = to the bike's velocity). A vent might make a difference in wind tunnel tests, but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:
I think the vent is overrated. Read my post # 9 above. Air will flow in under the lower edge of the windshield, especially if there is a low pressure area behind the windshield (this low pressure area present any time the bike is moving (unless you have a tailwind = to the bike's velocity). A vent might make a difference in wind tunnel tests, but I'm skeptical.
Can you feel any air flow coming in through those vents?

Can you feel any air flow coming in through those vents?
If I held my hand up to the vent, yes, but blocking it off with my hand seemed to make no difference in buffeting. Full disclosure, I rode w/ my 'shield all the way up, looking through it at any speed over 50-55. This was most of the time. At lower levels it might make a difference. I ordered the same windshield (Calsci) without the vent for my VStrom and am happy I did not get it. Read my comments above regarding the large water drops that smacked into my face. On the VStrom, turbulence is created by the mirrors, not so much by the windshield, which was ordered tall so that I'm looking through it.

There is a mod you can do that moves the windscreen away from the mounting brackets. The instructions use aluminum but my bike was done with Kydex by the previous owner.

1675699832515.png

(this was posted earlier but seems to have been deleted)

I'm on my 2nd Clearview in 10years. Never had vents, so don't know if they are better or not. First time was the short, which worked great. Just got a medium, and it seems similar wind flow if kept lower (more swept back) in the adjustment range to look over the top. The med definitely puts more strain on the mechanism! Can even leave the faceshield open at highway speeds with either of them..

I'm on my 2nd Clearview in 10years. Never had vents, so don't know if they are better or not. First time was the short, which worked great. Just got a medium, and it seems similar wind flow if kept lower (more swept back) in the adjustment range to look over the top. The med definitely puts more strain on the mechanism! Can even leave the faceshield open at highway speeds with either of them..
I found that the Clearview shield was very noisy and whistled when the wind hit it right. It had the vents, so I'm not sure if the ventless would be better. It also reflected some nasty road noise at a certain height on the highway. I put the original back on and am shopping for something better

Did side cutouts on my Clearview. Not worth it. Go for center vent. You might at least get some air to your middle section. Damn ST has great wind protection. Not great when it’s hot out. Then again, I would like some climate change here in Milwaukee. Stupid ice/snow bull cookies. Messing with my March 15th bringing the bike home schedule.

Did side cutouts on my Clearview. Not worth it. Go for center vent. You might at least get some air to your middle section. Damn ST has great wind protection. Not great when it’s hot out. Then again, I would like some climate change here in Milwaukee. Stupid ice/snow bull cookies. Messing with my March 15th bringing the bike home schedule.
Haha, right! We could all use some climate change! Its still -25 with a stiff north wind here in Winnipeg! I have had my bike out in March before but usually April. I'm leaning toward the Slipscreen for my next try

Haha, right! We could all use some climate change! Its still -25 with a stiff north wind here in Winnipeg! I have had my bike out in March before but usually April. I'm leaning toward the Slipscreen for my next try
If you get it, please keep us updated with how you like it. A new shield is something I am definitely considering and the Slipstream is in the running.

Back
Top Bottom