Trailer Ideas

On a related question about bike trailers for my own knowledge, the standard 1 7/8" ball type hitch usually has safety chains. Do bikers use them or just let the trailer break free of the bike if something does happen?
Mine came with them, so this is what I do:

1663615508618.png

Do MC trailers require a registration and/or a license plate?

@sirepair I just looked at your I-lean, and it's AWESOME!:headbang: I have another hobby, RC cars, and I like to take my Traxxas X-Maxx to skateparks, and would love to do it while on the STeed, but haven't found a good way to haul the monstrosity around, until now!

Ron posted a link to a good starting point

I've built a version of one of these as well. They are not rated for over 55mph, and I believe that is imprinted on the tire, or on a sticker on the rim. I don't think you'd be loading one down anywhere close to capacity for this purpose. Just food for thought.

I have a 4'x8' version of that folding trailer for use with the car, it's a little over 200 lbs empty, so take the weight into consideration when building yours out. Once you have the box and gear in it, estimate the gross weight, don't want to be pulling excess behind you.

On a related question about bike trailers for my own knowledge, the standard 1 7/8" ball type hitch usually has safety chains. Do bikers use them or just let the trailer break free of the bike if something does happen?

By law we need safety chains here. I have them on my trailer. The only catch is mine attach to the hitch and the DOT code says the chains should not be attached to the hitch, rather the frame/bumper portion of the vehicle. Even if it wasn't law if you lost the trailer you'd likely be liable for any damages or accidents it caused. Registration and a plate is required as is an inspection if it's a homemade trailer. For a MC trailer here you do not need insurance as it is covered by the motorcycle's policy for liability. Your local municipality may vary.

I have built three motorcycle trailers since 1989. The two most successful trailers use an aluminum frame and aluminum tongue. The less weight, the better. All trailers use a 1-7/8" ball and standard hitch. LED lights are a must. I built one with 10" wheels, but there is no significant difference in pulling between the 10" and the 8" wheels.

I used a Harbor Freight trailer for axels, wheels, hitch, and fenders on my most recent trailer.

I have pulled trailers with a 86 Wing, 98 Wing, 06 Nomad, and an 08 Wing.

32543467004_b7601b18e5_c.jpg

52370685168_374bd8c6e1_c.jpg

I have built three motorcycle trailers since 1989. The two most successful trailers use an aluminum frame and aluminum tongue. The less weight, the better. All trailers use a 1-7/8" ball and standard hitch. LED lights are a must. I built one with 10" wheels, but there is no significant difference in pulling between the 10" and the 8" wheels.

I used a Harbor Freight trailer for axels, wheels, hitch, and fenders on my most recent trailer.

That is exactly what I want to do!! That's even the same cargo case I have (X-Cargo Sport 20)
Please post any pictures you have of it, and any details you can share
It's like see a picture right out of my brain, JUST the way I want to do it

You will want to use the chains. If you did not put them on, you are responsible for what that trailer hits if it leaves the bike! If you are worried about the trailer, get yourself a swivel hitch.

Each state is different as far as trailer registration goes. When I lived it CA, the registration was $10.00 for 5 years on trailers. Now that I live in UT, single axle trailers under 750 lbs. do not require any registration at all.

Thinking of building a trailer out of a rooftop car case, please let me see your trailer hitch setups on 1300's. Thanks, Rich
I have a hitch that looks a lot like this that I would sell you very reasonably. I think it is brand new. It came with my bike and I have no use for it. Send me a PM if you're interested in it.
1663690935155.png

Reactions: Obo

That is exactly what I want to do!! That's even the same cargo case I have (X-Cargo Sport 20)

This has worked well for many years.

Attachments

• KIMG0807.JPG
    KIMG0807.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 40
This has worked well for many years.
I thought about a 1 wheel trailer, but most I has seen have the tire way at the back, doesn't that put a lot of weight on the hitch and bike? With my fat ass and my wife on it my 1300 is pretty loaded now. The 2 wheel trailers look to be easier to balance, and keep hitch weight down.

One thing I haven't thought about, is added weight. What if any mods are you doing to the rear shock for trailer usage?

Here are most of the photos that I have. I recently sold the trailer for $450, to a guy who wants to tow it with is little car.
I used a small Harbor Freight trailer.
Cut the axel so the total width of the trailer was the width of the motorcycle.
Removed one leaf spring from each side, leaving only the main leaf.
Moved the hinge on the X Cargo Sport 20 from the front to the left side.
Make sure that your tongue is long enough. Better too long than too short.
I set up the lights to match the bike, so I had to have separate directional lights in addition to tail and brake lights.
I cut down an LED flashlight, inserted a resistor, and used it for the license plate light
I didn't use any type of trailer module on most of the motorcycles. (LEDs don't take much amperage.)
PM me if you have any questions.

52375247468_3435231d0c_c.jpg

52374076932_714ee8fd7f_c.jpg

52375336534_f745a39920_c.jpg

52375024246_1793ce8c51_c.jpg

52375246348_5b8f31030b_c.jpg

52375335419_b2f475d174_c.jpg

Here are most of the photos that I have. I recently sold the trailer for $450, to a guy who wants to tow it with is little car.
I used a small Harbor Freight trailer.
Cut the axel so the total width of the trailer was the width of the motorcycle.
Removed one leaf spring from each side, leaving only the main leaf.
Moved the hinge on the X Cargo Sport 20 from the front to the left side.
Make sure that your tongue is long enough. Better too long than too short.
I set up the lights to match the bike, so I had to have separate directional lights in addition to tail and brake lights.
I cut down an LED flashlight, inserted a resistor, and used it for the license plate light
I didn't use any type of trailer module on most of the motorcycles. (LEDs don't take much amperage.)
PM me if you have any questions.

52375247468_3435231d0c_c.jpg

52374076932_714ee8fd7f_c.jpg

52375336534_f745a39920_c.jpg

52375024246_1793ce8c51_c.jpg

52375246348_5b8f31030b_c.jpg

52375335419_b2f475d174_c.jpg
Thank you, very nice setup, I'll probably do exactly the same
I work in a sign shop, but it's also a machine shop, so I have access to stuff to build an aluminum frame ( probably use 2x2), welded. I like the idea of hinge on the side, good idea

Only thing I'll add is do use some sort of isolation for the trailer wiring (either something bought or DIY with relays.) That way if there's a short on the trailer side you don't also lose the brake / run / turn signals on the bike.

I have no issue with 2 up wit the trailer. I have had both 2 wheel as shown in post 55. and then the single wheel. The single is much smaller than the 2 wheel. The sears X cargo as in #55 is a 20 CF box. My 1 wheel is a 8 CF box. My single weighs only 85# empty with most of that on the trailer tire and about 15# at the hitch. With the loaded 2 wheel I was around 30# on the tongue, I am about the same with the 1 wheel. Its also really easy to over load with a 2 wheel and that much space.

The 1 wheel handles better, no worries about getting to close to the inside on a corner and dropping a tire off the pavement or bumping a curb. For me it just works better all around.

I have no issue with 2 up wit the trailer. I have had both 2 wheel as shown in post 55. and then the single wheel. The single is much smaller than the 2 wheel. The sears X cargo as in #55 is a 20 CF box. My 1 wheel is a 8 CF box. My single weighs only 85# empty with most of that on the trailer tire and about 15# at the hitch. With the loaded 2 wheel I was around 30# on the tongue, I am about the same with the 1 wheel. Its also really easy to over load with a 2 wheel and that much space.

The 1 wheel handles better, no worries about getting to close to the inside on a corner and dropping a tire off the pavement or bumping a curb. For me it just works better all around.
I'll 2nd Dave on the use of the One-wheeler. You don't have to "modify" your riding, as the trailer is no wider than the bike, so you can ride in right or left track, etc. But, as noted you do not have the capacity of the bigger trailer. So you need to decide what will work for your. Both have + and -.

Has anyone ever built a one-wheel with the wheel under the compartment, maybe 30% or so from the back? Have the wheel in a "well" up into the interior of the trailer? I know this would take some storage space, but allowing loading behind the wheel means the trailer could be balanced very easily. That and add a "gooseneck" bend to the tongue, so the trailer sits flat? If the trailer was low and flat it would likely tow better with a lower CG and optimum loading. Dunno why I'm reading this thread, I don't need a trailer. But this makes me want one....

RT

Top Bottom