Article [13] ST1300 - Voltmeter Install

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
I installed a voltmeter for checking two things:

• Key turned to the right for ON position for testing battery voltage.
  • With engine running will check charging system.

This is an Innovate voltmeter I had. First of all, I proved it with a power supply that I have for testing gadgets.

imagen_001.jpg

To start installation, windshield is removed; task is easy because all screws are visible.

Next step is to remove the upper front panel, so you have to drop 4 clips (marked with red lines), other 4 (marked with green ones) and 4 screws that fix the instrument panel. In order to release the clips marked with green lines, you have to push the center of them inward to a position of "click" and then come out easily. For putting them again, you must first extract the center -remember that is embedded-, insert the clip in its housing and press the center of it until it is aligned.

Imagen_002.jpg

Imagen_003.jpg

Work area is like this:

Imagen_004.jpg

This device needs 2 wires: a positive one after key and another negative one to ground that will be screwed to frame in an area that only needs to put a screw with a pair of washers to connect it.

Imagen_008.jpg

Positive wire will be connected to the one that feeds CD radio. Here's the schematic and a link to thread where whole work is described.

Conexiones_Rel.jpg

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?96557-ST1300-Installing-a-complete-audio-system

Imagen_009.jpg

Imagen_010.jpg

New wire is driven through fairing pocket.

Imagen_011.jpg

We've got all the necessary for electrical connections.

Imagen_012.jpg

I insert a plate at the back of the voltmeter for giving desired orientation and add a bit of silicone for sealing it.

imagen_014.jpg

imagen_015.jpg

I pass the plate and wires through left vent window and fix the voltmeter to the frame. I've got perfect orientation, it's firmly attached and clutch fluid reservoir is at half inch distance with steering turned fully to the right. I connect the wires through disconnectable plugs.

imagen_017.jpg

imagen_018.jpg

Results are as follows:

Key to ON position. I get the battery voltage: 12.08 volts (radio is ON).

Imagen_019.jpg

Lights on and voltage drops obviously: 11.68 volts.

Imagen_020.jpg

Engine on and it shows 14.36 volts.

Imagen_021.jpg

And with lights on -as it's required- I see charging system is working properly because it shows 14.30 volts.

Imagen_022.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ST1300-Installing a voltmeter

I see them all OK. Well, I must go now but in a few hours I'll be back and have a look, thanks...

I guess pictures are shown without any problem... aren?t they?

Yes, they look great, thanks!

Thanks a lot, Mellow, for your quick answer...

I still can't see them on the computer at work, will try at home again tomorrow and report.

Maybe you've got a restriction with imageshack.us at work, are you the boss or have you got one? Anyway, if you still can?t see them let us know and will see the way you can...

Top Bottom