Article [13] ST1300 - Removal and Installation of typical flush mount push-pin rivets

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
There's the occasional question of how typical flush mounted push-pin rivets work. The attached PDF should be of help for anyone having their first try at removing or installing one.

The attached uses Honda part number 90116-MCS-G00.

-John

Attachments

• Removal + Installation of typical flush mount rivet 2011-02-20.pdf
    981.3 KB · Views: 602
Re: Removal and Installation of typical flush mount push-pin rivets

If I could suggest... use a tool that will allow you control while depressing the pin but stop before it goes too far. A Phillips screwdriver can be used in a pinch, or perhaps the opposite end of your tweezers. If the pin goes in too far, it has expanded the rivet again, and the only thing you can do then is push the pin right through, with the resulting risk of loss.

The picture shows the push pin that secures the maintenance covers. Instead of prying the pin out I find it easier to push it out from the backside with a fingertip.

The picture shows the push pin that secures the maintenance covers. Instead of prying the pin out I find it easier to push it out from the backside with a fingertip.

Same thing I do for that cover. But other similar rivets can only be accessed from the outside. :)

Top Bottom