Article [13] ST1300 - Rear suspension / Resetting the pre-load adjustor [Video]

Is it necessary to remove the adjustment knob?
Thanks for the video, and to answer your question, no it is not, just have it turned out all the way. Its a 6 minute job if you have done this before, 12 if you haven't. (We timed it while at NEWSTOC II, and under beer) I do appreciate the videos and the knowledge Jason. There are many less steps to this job than you have shown, but still a good job and hope you keep them coming. Another thing, if you haven't recharged the preload oil on your bike, I can say it really needs to be done regardless of the mileage.

I have not done this on either of my ST 1300s. I have not noticed much difference one up or with rider, when preload is adjusted in. I expect with preload screwed in, bike will be more stiff?
Great video, easy job, but just never thought about doing it before. And I learned a new word of the day..... "pedantic". Thanks for that.

Hi all,

Recently read an article about issues with the preload adjustor and how to fix them. I followed the guide and sorted mine today, so thought I would make a video showing the process in the entirety.

Thank you for the guide, and here's a link to the video.

Thanks for the video. I just finished adding light weight jack oil to the adjuster. It was pretty low and took many cranks to make a difference. Now, it stiffens up at a little more than 1 turn. The bike came this way when I bought it so I never realized it wasn't supposed to be that way. Had I known it was this easy, I would have done it long ago.

In fact, I brought it back to the dealer for the 600 mile service for an oil change/fluid check. It cost about $250, but I doubt if they actually did anything other than an oil change. Needless to say, I don't go back to them anymore if they're not even going to check the pre-load adjuster.

In fact, I brought it back to the dealer for the 600 mile service for an oil change/fluid check. It cost about $250, but I doubt if they actually did anything other than an oil change. Needless to say, I don't go back to them anymore if they're not even going to check the pre-load adjuster.

Not that I am one to defend dealerships, but mine (and others) have the entire assembly as a replace only part. I had to "educate" them on the parts, placement and procedure. True to what others have mentioned, some of these dealers aren't even familiar with the ST series.

Good info and great video! Still getting acquainted with my 'new' ST '07 too!
Update: checked my '07 ST and sure enough...I need to do the maintenance on the damper you have in your video. Thanks again for the excellent video. I'll get mine done asap. Taking her to the N GA mountains this weekend.

Last edited:
Dave D made a video back in 2011 entitled How to Adjust Rebound Damping on the ST 1300 that is an excellent companion video to this one. Once you have serviced the preload adjuster, you'll need to adjust preload and also adjust rebound damping to suit your weight and riding style. Dave's 'adjustment' video picks up where this 'service & overhaul' video ends... it's well worth watching.

Michael

Dave D made a video back in 2011 entitled How to Adjust Rebound Damping on the ST 1300 that is an excellent companion video to this one. Once you have serviced the preload adjuster, you'll need to adjust preload and also adjust rebound damping to suit your weight and riding style. Dave's 'adjustment' video picks up where this 'service & overhaul' video ends... it's well worth watching.

Michael

Cheers for posting, some really good information in the video you linked.

I am new to the ST Jason. Therefore, I have a lot to learn. I sure do appreciate you taking the time to video all of these maintenance/repair procedures you do to your Pan. I have learned a bunch and have saved a whole lot of time by watching your videos. Keep up the good work!

If they're copper washers, heat them to light cherry red and quench. Unlike with other metals, quenching copper softens it (they'll bend in half) and brings them back from the hardened state they're in from the heat/slow cool cycles they go through on the engine. I've not replaced copper washers with new for years.

Just do the adjuster. It will fix you right up. I did mine recently just refilling the adjuster and it is like new again.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a tough time moving something that out weighs me 4 times. How the heck do you do it without the handle.
Just checked my bikes adjuster.... needs to be refreshed

It was suggested to use : “light weight jack oil”

How’s this?
4 oz. Bottle Oil with Syncolon (PTFE) Lubricant
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-4-oz-Bottle-Oil-with-Syncolon-PTFE-Lubricant-51004/202932719

View attachment 233176

Or is there a better choice that is readily available?

You can get a quart of hydraulic jack oil for about the same price. Then you can do your floor jack and have enough leftover to last a lifetime ;) But yes, that would work fine.

Other than maybe Lowes or Home Depot, i have no idea where jack oil is had. And does this generic jack oil have to meet any tolerances this application requires?

Top Bottom