Article [13] ST1300 - LED Upgrade / Switchback installation (Video)

Hi all,

Have been reading a lot of positive reviews recently on the LED / Switchback upgrade being done to the ST1300. Given were just about to see it getting darker earlier, i thought some additional lighting on the front couldn't be a bad thing, so invested in the switchback conversion kit with LED for rear brakes and indicators.

The kit I purchased was the plug & play version from Lightenupgrade and cost £119. There are cheaper versions but all involve some form of soldering and crimping, so decided against them.

I videoed the process from the start, in case it would be useful here.

In the OP's video after removing the glove boxes was that the entire instrument cluster— tach speedo LCD display that he lifted out?

In the OP's video after removing the glove boxes was that the entire instrument cluster— tach speedo LCD display that he lifted out?
Hi ST Gui.

Yes, the instructions for fitting include the removal of the screen, and the instrument panel to gain access to the quarter wiring harness that's located just in front of the glove box, and easier access for the running lights.

Are the Euro spec ST's different? I didn't have to take off the windshield or mess with any wiring to do my Switchbacks. I just changed the flasher, lens, and bulbs. Took about 10 minutes for both sides.

U.K. bikes do not have the the turn signal lamps operate as park lamps as well. Consequently they only have a two-wire harness instead of the three the North American bikes have. The kit includes the necessary parts to convert it to a three-wire set up so they will operate as both parking and turn signal lamps. My impression was that his disassembly was to allow him to access the connection points required to power the park and turn signal functions as there is no park lamp power wire at the lamps.

Cheers Guy's

Took your advice and brought the upgraded headlights as well. Will be fitting soon as the mornings / evenings are now getting darker.

KR

Jason

Took your advice and brought the upgraded headlights as well. Will be fitting soon as the mornings / evenings are now getting darker.
Take care to check the beam adjustment afterwards. These lights are quite bright and the white/blue-white (depending on color temperature) and can annoy a lot of oncoming traffic. The standard of 'nobody flashed me so I must be OK' is a lousy one. You're gonna love these lights.

Hi all,

Have been reading a lot of positive reviews recently on the LED / Switchback upgrade being done to the ST1300. Given were just about to see it getting darker earlier, i thought some additional lighting on the front couldn't be a bad thing, so invested in the switchback conversion kit with LED for rear brakes and indicators.

The kit I purchased was the plug & play version from Lightenupgrade and cost £119. There are cheaper versions but all involve some form of soldering and crimping, so decided against them.

I videoed the process from the start, in case it would be useful here.

Thanks for the video bud. I usually DIY a kit as it only works out around £50 and is nicer than using the bulky bulb plugs. Im a bit of a mod demon might have the most modded pan i know so a couple of points from your install.
You dont need to remove anything at the front it can all be installed by removing the left fairing and cable tie the power cable from underneath the headlight.
Buy some foil tape and remove the lens and put foil tape on the inside of the mirror cowl then remove the foam from round the lens this will give you a bright indicator glow around your mirror especially at night it works without the foil tape but that will make it brighter. I hear really mixed things about his headlight bulbs maybe he changed brands at some point but i highly recommend novsight from amazon the beam is amazing and the cutoff is razor sharp. look in the reviews and you will see my yellow pan. i never bothered with the side lights because the headlights and switchbacks is plenty i also installed a lower luggage shelf below the numberplate and a ply shelf to replace the topbox as it drastically reduces the weight and can hold a double sleeping bag. I also modded the underseat storage so i can do bulb changes from under the seat.

Top Bottom