Article [11] ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well since I have four of these pretties and the chances of a fuel pump failing goes up as the mileage increases (already had 3 stockers fail), I decided I'd see what was available at a reasonable price with the ability to replace the stocker and leave everything as is. This is the link -

Since I have a few tank 'stems' laying around I pulled one from my inventory and commenced to proceed. The price was good but there is one caveat. You will need to buy about a foot of some 5/16" fuel submersible hose (about $20 a foot) because once the pump is in place the stock hose is a wee bit too short (the hose they provided looked suspect to me).

You do have to shorten and re-terminate the wires to the new pump as part of the replacement procedure. I also did not want to yank out a working pump and install the replacement so I came up with a good testing method that might be of value should you find yourself with pump troubles. Here's the pictures -

Part Number From Box Small.jpgQuantum Pump Small.jpgTesting Quantum Replacement 01 Small.jpgTesting Quantum Replacement 02 Small.jpg

This test setup allowed the bike to run as 'normal' without removing the original pump. I ran it for about 10 minutes at various RPMS (including up to 6,000 RPMS) and let it idle some so the engine would get up operating temperature. With this pump there was no stutter or stumbling and the bike idled just fine. I rev'ed her up quite a few times and everything appears to be proper and working. Hope this will help someone somewhere along the way. Total cost with the extra hose was about $80 - way cheaper than the $350+ Mother Honda wants. Also these pumps come with a 'lifetime warranty' - which is only good as long as the vendor stays in business. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, very good information.
Postage is $20.00 to UK.
Are you going to fit or carry it as a spare. I like it's a similar fit to OEM.
If fitting it let us all know how it runs.
Upt'North.

I plan on carrying it as a spare on long trips. You just remove the stock pump from the 'stem' and install the new one using the sleeve that holds the stock pump in the stem bracket. When I did the 'test', the bike was running on the new pump completely and using the fuel in the bucket. So I have no doubt that it will work fine.

I like the idea as it appears to be a drop in replacement... only that pillow cover gauze filter looks a bit odd ;)
Dunno about replacing it while out in the field (like sitting at the shoulder), one might need to also carry P/N 17574-MN5-000 (packing, pump base) along, as this bugger doesn't like to re-seal once it had been pulled off the tank (had to replace the NTC once... ;) )
Guess I'll stock up with ST1100 pump stems... <off to eBay> :biggrin:

You carry it, stem and all?
Yes - All I would have to do is remove the 10 mm nuts, wires, fuel line and drop it in.
It does not really take up that much space in a saddlebag.
I was already carrying an external one so this one takes up maybe twice as much space.
I just pack around it.

Might have to get one of these. Need clarification of what is meant by the 'stem'.
The metal fuel pump 'holder' that sits in the tank (picture #2 with the new pump attached). You only see the top plate when you remove the seat but it has all the electrical and hose connections built into it. The fuel pump is held in place by a clamp on the end of it.

So this is an equivalent (or perhaps better) option to the Airtex?
Since I don't have an Airtex I have nothing to compare.
It says that is is spec'ed at the correct pressure and flow for a ST1100/GL1500 and is a direct replacement.
It works fine when I tested it but the real test will be when it's in place for a few thousand miles -
which won't happen unless one of my 'stockers' fail.
The last time one failed, my external replacement overheated and failed also a few hundred miles down the road.
So I wanted something that had a better prospect of fixing the problem if on a long trip.
As I said, they say they come with a lifetime warranty FWIW.

I have one with a little over 200K miles that was working fine while another went flakey at about 60K miles. In other words, I don't know and I'm not sure anyone does. A lot of varables.

Mine failed at 57k...when it got low on fuel at 200 miles ...would sputter to a stop. Stated filling up at 150 miles on the tank and finished my trip.

Mine failed at 57k...when it got low on fuel at 200 miles ...would sputter to a stop. Stated filling up at 150 miles on the tank and finished my trip.
What's crazy about it is you never know. I had one that failed then worked for a long time then failed again. I had one that it did not matter how much gas was in the tank, when it decided to quit, it just quit. I hope this proves to be a good, inexpensive, reliable solution. As I said, I now carry the stem with the new pump in one of my saddlebags on long trips in hopes that I will not need to install it on the road side! :biggrin:

"... Stated filling up at 150 miles on the tank and finished my trip."

Kinda defeats one of the 1100 pluses (7+ gal. tank). I understand doing what it takes to get home. I would have done it myself.

"... Stated filling up at 150 miles on the tank and finished my trip."

Kinda defeats one of the 1100 pluses (7+ gal. tank). I understand doing what it takes to get home. I would have done it myself.
Had to do the same thing on a trip out west - nursed it from Idaho to California where FreeStyle Don had a replacement pump for me.

Total cost with the extra hose was about $80 - way cheaper than the $350+ Mother Honda wants. Also these pumps come with a 'lifetime warranty' - which is only good as long as the vendor stays in business. :biggrin:
[/QUOTE]
I recently looked at the price of the OEM part on Partzilla and it is back up to almost $500. I had my OEM replaced with a compatible unit for less than $100. I only have one complaint, the bike will start cold with no choke which is fine but starting it up warm requires running the starter for 6-8 seconds as it starts like it is flooded. Other than that the pump replacement was a success.

Top Bottom