Proud new ST1300 Owner

How's it going brothers! Just bought a 2004 ST and I'm proud to join this forum. Got a lot in store as this bike could use some TLC but otherwise very happy with my purchase. 1 owner with only 31k miles. Took her for a test ride and bought her same day. Loving every moment! Hope to get to know you guys and share some fun stories soon!

unnamed.jpg

Congrats on the new ride! You're going to love it. Lots of info and help here, read up, look closely at your machine, and start asking questions. There are probably going to be a few places to focus, given that low mileage over the years. I hope you find the site welcoming and informative.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I've owned a few bikes in the past but as I'm nearing the big 40 I feel my crabby old man genes kicking in which explains the ST :biggrin:
All these resources are so valuable so thanks in advance for the links!
I've already gone a bit trigger happy with the addons, I've ordered a Givi MonoKey Top Box and Rear Rack, Gen 3 Heli risers, a battery cover (cause it's an eyesore for me lol) and a Quad lock system for my phone. I have way more to do but I'm trying to slow down and enjoy it a bit, haha.

I'm going to search now and see what tools I need for the heli risers. Apparently it's an allen wrench and maybe a few sockets. Let's see if I can wing it!
Thanks again for the warm welcome folks!

Thanks guys! I've owned a few bikes in the past but as I'm nearing the big 40 I feel my crabby old man genes kicking in which explains the ST :biggrin:

Welcome from very Southeast Georgia USA. We all find our "Crabby Old Man Genes" at different times . I am still looking for mine...:eek: Maybe I misplaced them?:rofl1: You will enjoy this forum.

Thanks everyone!

Also, I know this may sound weird. But as a secondhand St owner, I'm not too crazy about the color. Has anyone completely changed the color of their bike? I wanted a white one but couldn't find any. What would be the best course of action; Purchase completely new fairings and paint the tank, or find secondhand parts? If this has been posted in the threads I'm sorry I couldn't find it.

Congrats on the :bl13: :hat3:

NOT CRAZY ABOUT THE COLOR? :think1:

Too bad, it's my favorite! I even turned my 2010, 2004 blue! Blue 2010

But then I turned it back to black, and then a couple of months later, turned it red, just before selling it to one of my boys.

The following are of one bike.... my 2010, that I sold the middle of march with 100K miles on it to one of my boys.

2010ST1300-ConsignmentShop.jpgDSC01536.JPG

20240115_finished-4.jpg20240313_Brett-Aribella.jpg

The problem with trying to change colors is obtaining all the right pieces. Even if you buy a "fairing kit" off ebay, you'll be missing the tank, saddlebags and the mirror covers.

If you are handy with a paint gun, you could probably paint it a lot cheaper than buying all the parts! They are not cheap.

Until then, ride it and enjoy it! :hat3:

Congrats on the :bl13: :hat3:

NOT CRAZY ABOUT THE COLOR? :think1:

Too bad, it's my favorite! I even turned my 2010, 2004 blue! Blue 2010

But then I turned it back to black, and then a couple of months later, turned it red, just before selling it to one of my boys.

The following are of one bike.... my 2010, that I sold the middle of march with 100K miles on it to one of my boys.

View attachment 333610View attachment 333613

View attachment 333611View attachment 333612

The problem with trying to change colors is obtaining all the right pieces. Even if you buy a "fairing kit" off ebay, you'll be missing the tank, saddlebags and the mirror covers.

If you are handy with a paint gun, you could probably paint it a lot cheaper than buying all the parts! They are not cheap.

Until then, ride it and enjoy it! :hat3:
That's so cool! How'd you manage to change it so often? Did you paint it every time? I'm trying to find a more wallet friendly process but alas I am definitely not good with a paint gun.

My fairings have a fair bit of scratches and cracks. It also has a good sized piece missing from the front and cracks on the left and ride side. The previous owner had a low side on either side, unfortunately. Just another reason I wanted to give the bike a ''refreshed'' look. Plus white looks super clean when...well clean! Anywho, any extra advice would be appreciated. Also, I am loving it. Been riding it daily to work and back home.

That's so cool! How'd you manage to change it so often? Did you paint it every time? I'm trying to find a more wallet friendly process but alas I am definitely not good with a paint gun.

My fairings have a fair bit of scratches and cracks. It also has a good sized piece missing from the front and cracks on the left and ride side. The previous owner had a low side on either side, unfortunately. Just another reason I wanted to give the bike a ''refreshed'' look. Plus white looks super clean when...well clean! Anywho, any extra advice would be appreciated. Also, I am loving it. Been riding it daily to work and back home.

If you saw my signature, you'll notice that I have had many ST1300s thru my fingers. I don't paint. For the 2010, back in 2014, I spent over $2,100 for all the blue parts I needed. Today, you'll spend a lot more than that for OEM parts. On eBay, there are some Chinese replacement parts (again, no tank, no mirror covers, nor saddlebag covers in those kits), and the plastics are different colors, different off white.

eBay Chinese replacement fairings

Back in 2013, I had bought a kit that was not ABS Injection Molded and were crap! These here, seem to be a lot better. I do have a set sitting in a box, but I have yet to try them.

Hum... right now, I have my 2004 in pieces, I should try them, just for the heck of it. ;)

20240428_RestoringFarkles.jpg

Welcome to a great bike and forum! You made me laugh with the big 40 comment. I can hardly remember turning 40 lol. I'm biased but I'm one of the people that think the ST looks good in every color. Just ride it and enjoy!

I do like the blue. Best bet, IMO, is repair what you have.
The white ones were only offered as police models, which I also like.
Welcome from Alabama!

Welcome to the forum!
Another option for changing the color, at a VERY low cost: Dip it! This is a common name for spraying it with Plasti-Dip, which does not require the prep nor the talent that regular paint does. I have done parts of my NC700X, and it looks great! Yes, you still have to mask it, and do a thorough cleaning before you spray it, but it really does cover well, and is quite durable. AND, when you tire of one color, you can peel it off and re-Dip it easily. Plasti-Dip also is quite flexible, and does not require a flex agent on fairings, etc., like other paints.
Just a thought.

Top Bottom