Introducing "I-lean"

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Over the past few weeks I built a one-wheeled trailer. Based on H20Riders (thanks Kries!) that I saw at Moonshine. I used a 4.80-8 wheel/tire combo along with an axle/hub/bearings, a plastic "Job Box" and wiring all purchased from my local Tractor Supply. I pillaged a bicycle for a shock, found some tapered steering bearings for the swingarm and utilized steel bits that we had lying about the shop.

I used a GL1500 drive shaft U-joint that was "opened up" with a die-grinder to allow a greater range of motion.

My hitch is a Classic Industries hitch that I added the "receiver" and gussets to. I used a 5pin plug that I wired in to the tail light and the trailer has all LED lighting, including corner markers.

Though I have not weighed it, I would guess that the finish weight is about 85-90 lbs.

I hooked it up and towed it to the BRG last week; it worked very well. 80+mph on I40 through the Smokies!! I still need to adjust my suspension settings (felt like a big girl was riding on back!) but I think once that is addressed it will be fine.

UPDATE: Pictures of build below.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited:
Since photobucket kicked the free bucket, thought I would update this post with pictures of the build.

Most of the parts for the build came from Tractor Supply, including the Job Box.
IMG_0762.JPG

Here's the suspension/swing arm assembly just before attaching it to the main frame. Shock is from a bicycle.
IMG_0949.JPG

After cutting off the "drop" for the hitch ball mount, I turned down the receiver to fit it inside the end of the GL1500 U-Joint.
IMG_0953.JPG

Here's the U-Joint test fitting.
IMG_0955.JPG

After welding the U-Joint to the receiver, and getting ready to weld it to the main frame tube.
IMG_0959.JPG

I added a receiver tube and a brace/gusset to my Classic Industries hitch.
IMG_0966.JPG

This is the rear of the frame tube, with the pivot tube for the swing arm and the shock mount and gussets welded on.
IMG_0968.JPG

Here is the frame mounted on the bottom of the Job Box.
IMG_0970.JPG

Mounted LED lights to the lid.
IMG_0984.JPG

Here's the final assembly.
IMG_0997.JPG

A few notes: I had to grind out the U-Joint to allow more range of motion, as it did not swing far enough to turn the bike at full lock. I used a 5 pin trailer connector for the wiring, allowing Running/Stop/Right & Left Turn lights. This Job Box is not waterproof, so items the need to stay dry have to be packed in some type of bag. I have since added a folding "kick stand" which allows the trailer to stand up when not in use and some tie-down loops on the top to anchor items, like a cooler, to.

I have towed this trailer several thousands of miles now, and have been very pleased with the results. Took it to Canada with 2 cases of beer and our extra gear in it a few years back, and hauled T-shirts to the Moonshine Lunch Run. It's been pulled at triple-digit speeds without issue, and I can do full-lock figure-8 turns in parking lots.

If you are interested in building something like this, I will be glad to help you with any information I can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 35
Nice bike! I've always liked the'03 white bikes. The first one I saw was in Tenn. Uncle Phil was showing us around and we stopped at a dealership for something. If the roads hadn't been so much fun, I'd probably have talked to a salesman.

Trailer is nice too. :biggrin:

Top Bottom