Do Coils fail on early ST1100?

I have a 90 St1100 with starting problems,could be the battery as she's been stored but now thinking the coils maybe original.How reliable were the original ones?

If you suspect coils, then take a look at the earth contact with the frame. They can rust up. You need to unbolt them to see it.
Also spark plug leads.
Fuel filter is easy to check - thinking settled water / crud.
But if it has been stored for a while, the quality of fuel may be of concern.
Our USA friends will be muttering SeaFoam. Ive never seen it or used it but a quick search on here will reveal its credentials. Apparently it is available in the uk.

Start with a fresh battery and fuel. After draining the old fuel.
Check for a spark.
If it doesn't go at that then start to look further. The coils are not a weak spot.
Good luck.
Upt.

Leads look good no spark at all at moment,plugs ok,good idea re jumping from car as I don't think the starter motor is spinning fast enough.New battery on order,

No known issues on those early models (IRRC some loose crimps on '94~`94), throughout check of wiring, connectors and handle bar switch pods (incl. ignition lock switch-plate) seems adviseable
Will do re connectors good news then re coils but won't rule that out later on

If you suspect coils, then take a look at the earth contact with the frame. They can rust up. You need to unbolt them to see it.
Also spark plug leads.
Fuel filter is easy to check - thinking settled water / crud.
But if it has been stored for a while, the quality of fuel may be of concern.
Our USA friends will be muttering SeaFoam. Ive never seen it or used it but a quick search on here will reveal its credentials. Apparently it is available in the uk.
Yes fuel could be an issue..we have v low lead content stuff here calked E10 it eats carb rubber if the bike isnt used enough luckily at moment the better stuff is still about.Will do re earth on frame.Many thanks.

Many thanks to you all.Ill post when it fires up again with an update hopefully.I appreciate all help as I'm not mechanic...yet

Fuel problem. Give it a shot of starting fluid or pull the fuel ilne off and see if any comes out when you turn the key on. Is it possible mice got in there and ate some wires?
Checked for mice etc when took fairing off luckily none fuel could be an issue though was starting bike,running it every other weekend as bike at my folks place.Tried spraying UK Easy Start into carb didn't want to know.

Checked for mice etc when took fairing off luckily none fuel could be an issue though was starting bike,running it every other weekend as bike at my folks place.Tried spraying UK Easy Start into carb didn't want to know.
Did you try giving it throttle because now you can have a flooded condition, pull a spark plug wire off , hold it and crank it over if you get zapped , you have spark.

Top Bottom