Boots Boots For Short Guys

Hi folks,I'm John and I'm short.

5' 7" 27" inseam 190 #'s.

My bike,2016 ST1300PAG is tall. I can't lower it so I'm gonna put a seat on it and less preload on the shock.

I'm looking at boots now. I checked into elevator shoes but nobody made durable boots.

I'm leaning toward Logger or Lineman boots.

Do any of you have any experience with them ?

JJ

Rode with a group,years ago for May 2-4 weekend.One vertically challenged guy had Redwing forest fire man boots with 3" soles.Because they are welt soles you can resole them.Don't know where he had them done.Also it was a Hieel-toe shifter.
My wife has the same boots- normal soles- loves them , no break in needed.got hers in Watkins Glenn N.Y.

Daytona M-Star boots will give you almost 2". A one inch insole from Tallmenshoes will give you another inch. This will effectively give you a 30" inseam.

PM @dohboy, iirc, he had a shoemaker add an additional sole to his favorite boots. This gave him an extra inch of height. You could also look in to a pair of Manolo's or Jimmy Choo's stilettos. Maybe not the most practical, but fashionable! :rofl1:

The is a lady in Houston who had a pair of motorcycle boots build up a couple of inches so she could flatfoot her 1200R

Daytona M-Star boots will give you almost 2". A one inch insole from Tallmenshoes will give you another inch. This will effectively give you a 30" inseam.

The Daytona's are not available in wide and they look hot to wear and are too tall.
There is not enough room in a boot for the top of your foot with lifts.

JJ

Keep in mind that doing so will slow the steering response a bit, unless you can lower the front to match.
It's easy to lower the front in the triple clamps. I would be more worried about the bike wallowing and pogoing whilst riding.

JJ

I agree that screwing up the suspension is concerning. There are ways to lower the suspension without killing your sag. Call a suspension shop and see if you're willing to pay the freight. Anything you do to lower the bike will reduce your clearance.

Wouldn't adding a couple of inches of sole interfere with shifting? And possibly increase the chance of snagging the ground in a turn?

As for lifts in boots I found even a set of full-length insoles crowd the toe box and so agree with JJ about not being enough room enough room in a boot (or shoe) for a lift.

I would think that getting a suitable seat is the first step, and only modify the suspension if all else fails. Reducing the seat-to-peg distance should not be detrimental like it would be for me.

I'm 6'3 and can flat-foot both feet when I stop, even with the RDL seat that gives me much more legroom. Hip and knee issues require me to sit farther up and back than the stock seat.

The leather stretches after wearing it a while. You just shift with the side of your foot. I don’t notice it any more. I love my Daytonas. It is a very safe boot.

It's easy to lower the front in the triple clamps. I would be more worried about the bike wallowing and pogoing whilst riding.

JJ
The stock bars only allow the fork tubes to be raised in the clamps a bit less than 10 mm. I’m sure the riser block and bars can be modified to allow more but it’s not as simple to lower the front as on many bikes.

I took my ST to a suspension shop to have the front lowered to match the works shock on the rear. The bike was due for a fork rebuild anyway. After that it was a great handling bike. I wish I could have kept it.

Wouldn't adding a couple of inches of sole interfere with shifting? And possibly increase the chance of snagging the ground in a turn?

As for lifts in boots I found even a set of full-length insoles crowd the toe box and so agree with JJ about not being enough room enough room in a boot (or shoe) for a lift.

The Logger boots add maybe a half inch up front and 2 inches out back. I should be able to move the shifter.

1609261941272.png

I took my ST to a suspension shop to have the front lowered to match the works shock on the rear. The bike was due for a fork rebuild anyway. After that it was a great handling bike. I wish I could have kept it.
I am not messing with the suspension. The seat and boots. Improve the lights is on the list. Crash bars for when it falls. It will fall.1609262274722.png1609262337561.png1609262299688.png

I do believe you can adjust the shifter position upward to accommodate a thicker sole. A couple of guys have had their bikes professionally lowered and have said they noticed no handling differences. One of those guys lives in Canada, and I'm not sure where you are. Since the border is closed, having that shop do your bike might be a bit of a problem. If you are interested, look up Woodchuck in Members (blue band above) and PM him.

Back
Top Bottom