60K miles service/maintenance?

Bike
'03 ST1300
My 03 ST1300 is knocking on the door of 100,000 kilometres (60K miles). Are then any major service/maintenance issues to be considered. Thanks in advance for any advice.

SkidMark

Valve inspection
thermostate replacement (if needed)
Coolant flush
Coolant leaks (clamps)
Throttle body sync.
Air filter
Critical fasteners

Honda calls for nothing special at 100,000 km outside of the normal recurring items at 12.8 km and 25.6 km.

Has the bike had the regular servicing at these intervals?

Yes, it's had the normal minor services (oils, filters etc) and at the last one the mechanic told me that the timing chain needs to be done at 100K (60K miles). I'm checking with the forum if this seems normal and if so what else should be done while the bike is stripped down?

Thanks again guys
Mark

...at the last one the mechanic told me that the timing chain needs to be done at 100K (60K miles). I'm checking with the forum if this seems normal and if so what else should be done while the bike is stripped down?

60K would a good time to replace your mechanic or adjust him so he sticks with the maintenance schedule for the right bike. :)

The timing belt on the ST1100 is recommended to be inspected at 60K miles and replaced at 90K miles. The timing chain on the ST1300 is a no-maintenance item, and I've never heard of one giving up the ghost.

--Mark

Yeah, a timing chain should last the life of the engine so long as proper maintenance has been practiced. The mechanic is either confused or worse, trying to sell you unnecessary service, a very expensive one at that.

Back
Top Bottom