Windshields ST1100 only

Hi Sink. Say, thanks for the site link. I still have the stock shield that came off my 97 and have woundered about this lip. Is that what you have the lip on? I have the Clearview Lg and still get wind buffeting if I really push to set up straight using one arm on the bar.
Thanks, EJ

I just bought a Clear View. Well worth the money but I recomend getting the right height. I'm 5'9 and got the stock size. Seams too short for the winter, but nice for the summer and on the high way.

Plus, het the 5 position vent. I wish I had.
Cheers,
Adam

Hi Sink. Say, thanks for the site link. I still have the stock shield that came off my 97 and have woundered about this lip. Is that what you have the lip on? I have the Clearview Lg and still get wind buffeting if I really push to set up straight using one arm on the bar.
Thanks, EJ

I have the stock windshield with the lip and it helps quite a bit. I still get some buffeting but not anything like it was, AND it's a lot quiter.

Thanks Sink! I'll prolly get one and hang on the stock shield to have an additional option like I do with my seats.

Thanks-n-ride safe...
EJ :D

Is it personal preference, or is there a "standard" height the shield should come to. I'm 6'. My shield comes to the bottom of my chin. I'm thinking it should be higher, but I don't have anything to compare with. There is quite a bit of noise and buffeting at higher speeds, but I don't think it's drastic. I think the shield is stock, but I'm not sure (see my pic). Opinions?

Generally tip of sheild between chin and nose, from what I've been told.I saw a metric cruiser with factory windsheild up to the fore head. You have to look right through it.

I have the Laminar Lip combination - the windshield and lip from Laminar. It works great - quieter, less buffetting and way better for my passenger. Plus it's a great conversation starter. I still get a bit of wind but that's why I'm on a bike and not in my Jeep.
Cheers,
Cliff.

www.sportmotogear.com has an Ermax for the 1100
LINK

010103031.jpg

Don't know on the 1100's but for the 1300's the Ermax is really nice - especially at $139.99!

I purchased the Clearview XL using their website recommendations for sizing. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam.
I'm looking just over the top with no buffeting. Very pleased with it. Also had the wing vent installed.

I tried the laminar lip combo and didn't like it. I found the wind noise too much, although it certainly gave a sporty feel. I've now settled on a tall Rifle with a Laminar lip. Works ok. Still looking for a good shield that I can look over but which puts my head in a "cone of silence" at fwy speeds.

BTW, I have a laminar lip combo for sale if anyone's interested.

Bill

I just installed the Clearview XL, with center vent (took 4 weeks to arrive).
Much quieter, very little buffeting...but enough to bug me. A bit of a draft on the back of the neck, but I always wear my neck warmer in cool weather.
The only wind I feel is under my tricep area.
I do look through the windshield on this one. I am also using a Corbin seat which is about an inch lower than stock.

The odd thing is, the best protection I have ever had on any bike...has been one of those cheap handlebar fairings, a Plexifairing from National Cycle. The reason this has superior protection and quiet is that the top of the shield is very close to your helmet. Not so with a frame mounted fairing.
The only one that I have seen worth a hoot was from the last generation GoldWing, with a larger screen.

You would think that manufacturers would be able to figure this out, if I can.

I had both the Rifle and the Clearview on my ST11. I liked the Clearview much better. I looked over the top of mine; I think it was a +2". I also installed the Saeng edging, which expanded the envelope a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom