Weird symptoms in neutral

sendin

Denny from Sebastopol
Bike
2002 ST1100
I hope my description is adequate. 2002 non-ABS with about 80K miles. When I put it into neutral and back up it locks momentarily, (usually after about 2 to 4 feet of travel) then releases and makes a gear/knocking noise that is in time with the speed of the mc while being pushed backwards into the garage on level pavement. If the distance is more than about 8 feet then this sound often clears and then no noise. Pushing it backwards after it releases and makes the the gear noise offers no resistance. No other symptoms or problems with this bike other than I think it is due for a master and caliper rebuild for the rear brake. Recent oil change. Nothing else to report about this.

*****?

A good way of checking the drive train is to put it on the centre stand and with the engine off and in first gear, rock the wheel, there should be some play at the edge of the wheel, an inch or so would not be unusual but it should be quiet other than perhaps a little brake noise.
If play is excessive or noises can be heard you'll have to go in. You're probably going to anyway.
Good luck.
Upt.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. Parts & tool ordered. Maybe it’ll start raining and I won’t feel deprived while this mc is in parts!

I am not understanding how it can be working without any problem in the forward direction. No clunking at all when shifting gears or coasting while going forward?

So just backwards? What about when you go backwards and instead of having it in neutral, keep it in first and pull in the clutch? Does it make the same noise then? I am curious as I've not seen this posted before. Thanks

edit: is it the same while engine is running and engine is off?
If you put it on the center stand can you duplicate it by turning the wheel backwards in neutral again with engine off and when engine is on?

Holy cow manure! Its a loose brake caliper! Once up on the center stand - as obvious as can be. The fwd bolt holding the caliper not engaged properly when I put it back together when I renewed the pads. All sorted now. I get the stupid dude award!

Holy cow manure! Its a loose brake caliper! Once up on the center stand - as obvious as can be. The fwd bolt holding the caliper not engaged properly when I put it back together when I renewed the pads. All sorted now. I get the stupid dude award!
Glad you got it solved! Excellent.

Back
Top Bottom