Staintunes/Valve Rattle?

Since I installed my staintunes I have had very bad rattle from my valves, I've tried 92 octane still the same. Has anyone else encountered this and if so what did you do?

Coyote:confused: :confused: :confused:

The ST is set from Honda very lean for emissions.When you installed the Staintunes you compounded the problem. Check the Turbo City Fuel Pressure Regulator. I installed the regulator before the Staintunes and have experienced no problems. Jeff

Fortunately I've already purchased the FPR, I'll let you all know the results...need to burn some fuel out first :(

Coyote

Is the sound you are talking about really valve rattle or is it pre ignition pinging? I doubt very much if your valves are rattling.

I ran the Staintunes for about 10k miles on my 03 ST13 3 years ago without any other mods and had no problems, no pinging, no modified fuel pressure regulator. Didn't really care for the droning sound of the ST's 360 degree engine, so put the OEM's back on. Plan to leave the OEM's on my 05 ST.

Fred Z.

Fred:
I don't understand why you didn't like the sound, the only time you hear it is sitting still or when someone is following you ;+}.

My 04' has the FPR/ K&N/ Staintunes and it runs just fine. I run w/o the baffles and have even recieved some comments from the H-D crowd that "It sure don't sound like a Honda." I took that as a compliment.

Time2Work
Neil S.

p.s. Sorry I won't be able to make FOF this year, Apres Star ate up my vacation time. Enjoy the roads, there are some great ones. Keep Mother in line. Ask him about his $20 ticket ;+}

1Coyote said:
Since I installed my staintunes I have had very bad rattle from my valves, I've tried 92 octane still the same. Has anyone else encountered this and if so what did you do?

Coyote:confused: :confused: :confused:

Adjust your counterbalancers.

I had what sounded like detonation. I even almost had it correllated to fuel and temperature but there was the occasional inconsistency. One day I had a little time on my hands and thought I would adjust the counterbalancers. I figured it couldn't hurt. Amazingly enough, the 'detonation' sound went away and as a nice bonus, things got even smoother. I didn't think it was possible for my ST to get smoother but it did.

Ray
smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Back
Top Bottom