ST1100 Windsheild Recommendations for Tall Guys?

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I am 6'6" and sit up pretty tall on my ST1100. (seen here) I do wear 33dB rated earplugs and figure that I'm going to be hard-pressed to get my head into a really quiet pocket of air. When I slump..I think WOW, it would be really neat to have it be THIS quiet all the time. I've tried a few windshields on my ST1100s over the years. Stock. Clearview Medium. Clearview XL. Laminar w/lip. And Laminar Cafe w/lip.

Stock - Wind hits me right at the chin. Loud.

Clearview Medium Cateyes- Better wind protection on shoulders than stock, not as loud as stock, but still pretty noisy.

Clearview XL w/Goldwing Vent - Best wind protection, but wind still hits me at faceshield level and creates a roar, especially compared to the Laminar.

Laminar Cafe -Was excellent as a summer shield as long as I rode under 60 mph, then the wind comes up under my chin.

Laminar - Wind noise is probably the best I've tried, still a little short to create a quiet pocket for me, and I miss the width at the top of either the Clearview M or XL for wind protection.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or experience with a Clearview combined with a Laminar lip? This combo would seem to combine the best features of each I like.

Thanks!

Jim, what's working for me right now is stock screen with an added piece of an old Rifle on top. I used 1 1/4" nylon screws with 1/2" nylon spacers to connect the new piece and stand it off a little from the stock screen. The slot between the two adds a "Laminar Lip" function to the air flow. I'm not nearly as tall as you but always had the same problem with the stock screen. Now, I can listen to the radio without ducking! You can use just your hand at the top edge of the stock screen to displace the air and figure out how tall to make yur add-on. Not the most glamorous farkle but it works for me.

Keep us poSTed.

Jim, this is something I have been meaning to look into as well. I love my Clearview shield and want to add a Laminar Lip, but (according to Laminar's site) we need to contact CalSportTouring to get the lip for that shield. I just haven't called them yet.....

That's what my research has told me as well.

Re: ST1100 Windshield Recommendations for Tall Guys?

I used a Clearview Gen III Large with a Laminar Lip on my 1100 - I'm 6' 3" - and they worked great. (The 1100 is gone but I kept the shield setup, you just reminded me that I ought to eBay them!) I think the XL and Lip would be what you need.

Attachments

• lip2.jpg
    lip2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 26
  • lip1.jpg
    lip1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 31
If you still have some of the older shields why not cut one down as an experiment. I suggest trying to go much lower rather then higher. My experience with ST1100's was no mater how high the shield it didn't help. Total quiet can only be achieved when you have to look through the shield. After buying an ST1300 four years ago I was able to see what it's like under all different heights. I was expecting to ride with the shield all the way up, because you can get the 1300's shield high enough you have to look through it. I was very surprised to find I prefer to ride with it all the way down. I rode over 2000k miles from Seattle to Taos WeSTOC with the shield at its lowest position. It's fantastic how much more enjoyable it is to have nothing in front of you distorting the view.

Anyway it might be worth trying.

If you still have some of the older shields why not cut one down as an experiment. I suggest trying to go much lower rather then higher. My experience with ST1100's was no mater how high the shield it didn't help. Total quiet can only be achieved when you have to look through the shield. After buying an ST1300 four years ago I was able to see what it's like under all different heights. I was expecting to ride with the shield all the way up, because you can get the 1300's shield high enough you have to look through it. I was very surprised to find I prefer to ride with it all the way down. I rode over 2000k miles from Seattle to Taos WeSTOC with the shield at its lowest position. It's fantastic how much more enjoyable it is to have nothing in front of you distorting the view.

Anyway it might be worth trying.

That was kind of what it was like with the Laminar Cafe. The clean air and undistorted view was fabulous under 60-65 mph, above that and the air came up under my helmet chin and buffeted my head too much.

Even with the Clearview XL I am still looking over the shield. Unfortunately, I sold the shields with my previous STs and sold the Laminar Cafe on eBay. All I have is the Laminar and Clearview XL.

Re: ST1100 Windshield Recommendations for Tall Guys?

You should be looking over the shield by an inch or two. The Lip will push the air up and over.

Back
Top Bottom