ST1100, wind baffle or tall screen

might have been covered before but being a new owner it's a problem i need to sort, the wind noise and rattle i get over 50 mph is spoiling things for me, i have looked around and come accross a baffle plate that fits below the top yoke to stop air rushing up from below, question is will this work?? or is a tall screen better, i am 5'9"
thanks

Re: st 1100, wind baffle or tall screen

I have a Rifle +2 tall screen. I really like it, and I am 6'4". I can look over with ease, and if it gets really nasty, I can tuck in behind and look through...

I have the Clearview LG and it works good for me. I'm pretty close to 6ft and look over it even with the Russell seat. It makes the bike wiggle a bit in a good stiff crosswind or coming up behind a simi and prolly cuts into your milage a tad. I fab'd a bottom windage pan that attaches to the faring underneath and that seems to have cured about 80% of the bike "wind-wondering" in alot of crosswinds and will when I quit farkeling the lighting system will buy a lip and put that on the stock screen I still have and try that screen for my daily commutes.

Ride Safe...
EJ :D

I sit pretty tall and I use the laminar lip combo with the lip attached high.
The wind hits the top of the helmet (a good thing here in the desert) and if I crouch there is a very nice sweet spot that is absolutely quiet. Too bad I can't crouch forever!

Mark

Could you-all post some pics of these screens? I have a '93 I bought used. It has 2 screens: one very short, and one that ok, but still not tall enough to keep the wind noise away unless I crouch a bit. And being 5'8", I think I could go with a taller screen and not adversely affect the bike, but I would really like some close ups to see what they look like. What they cost you would also be of interest.

JC

Laminar lip combo.
I have no idea what they run now... I bought it years ago...

Mark

Attachments

• P7240015 (Large).JPG
    P7240015 (Large).JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 154

I have a rifle +4. That's 20" overall length.

I installed a LaminarLip also. It's a good combination for me. I'm close to 6' tall but I have a 29" inseam so I ride tall in the saddle.

Here's a pic of my set up.

I hope this is helpful. Keep us posted so we know how you make out.

Attachments

• DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 148
Well, there it is, the day I put it on:) Upon further reflection, I think mine is a +4 Rifle, too.

Less than $150, great service, great people. What can I say?

Attachments

• New Shield Front Web.jpg
    New Shield Front Web.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 119
You basically have three options;

1. Get a windscreen tall enough so you have to look through it (or crouch down behind the one you have.
2. Get a Laminar Lip.
3. Get some earplugs and use them.

I share your dilemma. I have a stock (16") and think a 20" would be just right (I'm 5'11" w/ 34" inseam). I don't care for the look of the laminar lip and I'm hesitant to spend the $ to experiment with other shields. I just went to a Corbin seat which helped by maybe an inch. Unfortunately I have no access to any other shield to borrow for a test ride so I don't know how bad or good the current shield is. I've pretty much decided to concentrate on other farkels....there are so many to choose from!

Heres mine
a bit unsure of the make but I think it's a Dobles?? cant find it on the web though. It's tall, I'm a six footer and can see over it or get below it.
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• MC1036.jpg
    MC1036.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 100
Laminar combo works good for me. That is my 3-season screen. I have another screen I cut down 4" that is used for my summer screen. Neither have the excess buffeting.

I also hear the MRA screen is very good on the 1100. When I end up buying a new screen, that will be the one I try next.

See here for shots of the cut-down screen
http://rides.webshots.com/album/550666960TQmCqD

And see here for a shot of my Laminar Combo and Paul Naramore's MRA screen.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2038622540085107256wvxkIB

Be sure to "View Fullsize" on the pics for a better look.

I'm the same height as you and I solved the wind and noise problem with a Cee Bailey stock height, 2in. wider windshield. The Cee Bailey screens have a NACA vent in the lower portion that really helps eliminate the stock screens noise and buffeting.

I run the standard screen with a LIP, so I can look right over (5"8'). Works enough for me. The air is smoothed out and goes over the helmet, so head up or down is the same. Bike seems more stable as well. There is still the air coming around the side if that matters to you, with some wind noise, but the ST is not Wing.

Back
Top Bottom