St1100 and Laminar Lip

I have an ST100 with the standard stock windscreen. thinking of adding a Laminar Lip to reduce wind noise. Currently if I tuck a bit I'm shielded from the wind, but sitting upright is noisy. Not that the buffeting is bad, just noisy.

Anyone else running a similar setup? Does it work?

BTW, I'm 5' 10 and use a standard seat.

Thanks!

-bluelab

Lip on a standard ST1100 screen works very well, at least for a single rider. I use that configuration during summer months.

I did the same for the exact same reason. Although I have not taken it off to compare, I feel it does help, albeit still not quite as quiet as tucking down behind the screen.

I had the Laminar shield/lip combo on my 1100. This set up was significantly quieter and had less turbulence over the stock shield. Never tried the Lip with the stock shield.

I've got the Laminar and Lip setup, (2000 ST1100) but found that during a crosswind, semi, and high speed combination (75+) the whole thing seemed to twist (a lot). No shelf and installed Laminar's grip deflectors. Took off the lip and now ride with only the short windscreen itself, a little more noise, no buffeting, better than stock. Have tried most aftermarket screens but I think you always give a little something with all of them.
Anyone else have this issue?
~Tomas:biker:

I tested the STock screen against the LL combo while Chris and I had 2 ST1100s.
My brother-in-law (6'5") and I (5'10" all torso w/27" inseam) went for a 200 mile day.
We road back roads and freeway (I 10 with *lots* of semi wind wash).
At the end of the day we both knew the LL combo was the screen to use.

Mark

I am 5'8" with a standard screen and seat. The LIP o the standard screen makes a big difference. It smoothes out the air flow noticeably. There is still the noise/turbulance from the screen width not being enough, but the LIP will give you the same result as crouching a bit with the stock screen.

Back
Top Bottom