Sounds and Mount

Hello ST Brothers,
I have had my ST1100 for a little over a month and put a couple hundred miles on it and I have a couple of questions I am looking for insight on.
1) Temp - Living in Dallas so it is hot, when sitting at a stoplight when air temp is 90's the temp gauge gets 3/4 the way to red - comes down when I start moving again, and I know that the fan is running, is this normal or should I be looking into some coolant work?

2) Engine noise - the idle and acceloration seems fine, but when I roll on the throttle it seems like there is quite a "growl" form the engine. Everything seems to run and accelerate OK but I am wondering if the sound change under stress is normal or if I need to possibly be looking at valves etc.

3) The windshield that came with the bike is tall and straight but there is a persistent loud whistle which sounds like it is coming from an area closer to the bottom of the windshield or from the area in the front where there is a 6 inch gap between the windshield and the bike, I guess to let air flow through or coming from the air moving around the side of the shield. Is a whistle pretty normal or should I be looking at replacing the shield.

4) Lastly, I have attached a picture of a Phone/GPS mount that is on the handlebars. I am wondering if anyone recognizes it and can tell me the possible brand so I can actually get a replacement or get a original OEM part for the bars to take the mount part off.IMG_2398.jpg

So far I like the bike, lots of fun and 200Lbs easier to ride than my VTX1800.

Thanks

1 & 2= normal for this bike
3: I was on mine today and noted some other sounds with the OEM shield as well (with the face shield open)- ignore and move on unless you want a different shield
4: Looks like my RAM mount that I have with my Garmin Zumo (that came as part of the kit to connect to the bars

5: Welcome!

You might play around w/ adhesive tape to identify where the sound is coming from. If it bothers you, once you know you can replace whatever is causing the noise.

Lastly, I have attached a picture of a Phone/GPS mount that is on the handlebars. I am wondering if anyone recognizes it and can tell me the possible brand so I can actually get a replacement or get a original OEM part for the bars to take the mount part off.
As mentioned that's probably a 1" RAM ball. Even if it's not any of their accessories would fit if you wanted to keep it. Or one of their replacement balls would plug in.

1) Temp - Living in Dallas so it is hot, when sitting at a stoplight when air temp is 90's the temp gauge gets 3/4 the way to red - comes down when I start moving again, and I know that the fan is running, is this normal or should I be looking into some coolant work?

3) there is a 6 inch gap between the windshield and the bike,

1) not exactly normal, the fan should kick in when the gauge gets just a little past vertical. If its going well beyond vertical, but the fan is still keeping it from going into the red when you aren't moving, then its not a major failure, but you might want to check the level of coolant at the radiator cap (not at the overflow tank on the side of the bike). It may be getting low on coolant.

3) I'm not aware of any 6 inch gap between the windshield and the bike, can you provide a picture of that?

3) I'm not aware of any 6 inch gap between the windshield and the bike, can you provide a picture of that?
A Madstad can be adjusted to give a large gap but I've never given the size much notice.

There is about a 6' horizontal gap at the bottom of the shield.

2) Engine noise - the idle and acceleration seems fine, but when I roll on the throttle it seems like there is quite a "growl" form the engine. Everything seems to run and accelerate OK but I am wondering if the sound change under stress is normal or if I need to possibly be looking at valves etc.

What gear and rpm? 3rd gear ratio is almost overdrive at 1.1 to 1. 4th and 5th are even more over drive ratio. Try down shifting a gear and see if it helps. You can wind up the 1100 without a problem (if it is in good condition). If you wind it too far, the rev limiter will kick in and it causes the motor bogs down. 2nd gear red lines at about 85 mph and 3rd gear is about 105 mph.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom