Sonic Springs. Taking the plunge. Any install tips?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I dropped off of riding when these first came out but now I am back. Time to install these things.

I weigh 215lbs without gear.

I have searched and found some info. Maybe can get some responses and consolidate here.

Most everyone was installing the 1.2kg/mm spring.
It seems people prefer using a 7.5wt fork oil.
Sonic supposedly reccomends 140mm for oil volume but many are using 125mm.
Anyone around my weight. What length did you cut the spacer and what sag did that give you.

I have done 3 installations with the Sonic 1.2 springs on ST1300's. Spacers were cut to 4.5" (114mm) and no washer was used on top, the spacer nested inside the fork cap. This will give you a sag measurement ~1.4". Everything else you are specifying seems correct.

I may weigh a little less than you Norman, But I used the 1.2 Sonics and cut the spacers so that the overall stack length of the Sonic springs and spacers were equal to the OEM springs and spacers. This gives about 3/4" of preload. I put in 10wt oil based on my experience with the ST1100 and recommend instead to use 7wt. oil with the ST1300. I think I used 125mm of oil level (spring removed, fork leg collapsed).

BTW, welcome back to the forum.

does anyone weight less than 200 pounds?
I'm 175 w/ gear and plan to install my springs next week ....anyone els already done this ? ......round about my weight?

Thanks, Petey.

does anyone weight less than 200 pounds?
I'm 175 w/ gear and plan to install my springs next week ....anyone els already done this ? ......round about my weight?

Thanks, Petey.

I weigh less, about 150, and did pretty much the exact as above. Would suggest using the washers and spacers per SS instructions, just cut the spacers so that the whole thing together is the same length as what you take out.

Used the bel-ray 7.5 weight and the bike handled much much better, going over bumps, cornering much more planted, big improvement.

would recommend measuring sag Before and After the install. Sadly if you don't get about 3/4 to 1.25 of sag, the ST has no adjustment, but it should be about right by doing above.

ps I used 125mm oil, remember the air will compress, the oil won't.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom